U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-02-2008, 10:56 AM

792 posts, read 1,946,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWJERSEY1 View Post
Which part of Bergen County is better, North Bergen County or South Bergen County? Are most people in Bergen County wealthy and rich? I've heard that Bergen County is one of the richest counties in America. Is that true?

Please answer the three questions.
The discussion could be expanded. Bergen County, IMO is divided up into four quads with respect to the juncture of RT4 and RT17. T
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 10:58 AM

5,343 posts, read 8,707,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
The discussion could be expanded. Bergen County, IMO is divided up into four quads with respect to the juncture of RT4 and RT17. T
This is very true

Old 07-02-2008, 03:13 PM

792 posts, read 1,946,484 times
For someone married with kids, and earning a hefty income, either northern quad would probably be preferred. For someone single, starting out, who wants to be closer to city, etc. the southern quads may be more ideal. Rents now in the southern quads are getting as high as the north. Brokers/Landlords now assume everyone from Bergen Co. works in NYC (or has ability to) and things are priced accordingly. Price-wise Bergen is way over-rated, IMO.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:34 PM

75 posts, read 194,748 times
EEPNj - i 100% agree with your assessment

Old 04-16-2009, 01:28 PM

10 posts, read 26,034 times
There is one town in upper Bergen county that has the lowest tax rate. It's so small and the houses are very expensive but if you can buy the house you'll never have to move. What town is that.....Rockleigh. That town uses Northvale for all it's needs Police, Fire, DPW, School and so on. It has a industrial park that pays for most of the taxes.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:38 PM

825 posts, read 1,855,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWJERSEY1 View Post
Which part of Bergen County is better, North Bergen County or South Bergen County? Are most people in Bergen County wealthy and rich? I've heard that Bergen County is one of the richest counties in America. Is that true?

Please answer the three questions.
That's like comparing apples and oranges. They're pretty much two totally different worlds. South Bergen is more middle and working class. A lot of blue collar people, and it tends to be more congested. North Bergen is more of wealthy suburbs.

To say most people in Bergen county are wealthy and rich is really just a generalization and for the most part not true. It is the most populous county in NJ so you're going to see a pretty even distribution of people from every walk of life. Rich and wealthy people, middle class families, blue-collar working class people, you see it all. I think it's fair to say though that the farther North you head in Bergen County, the number of wealthy families increase.

And yes, Bergen County is one of the wealthiest counties in the US. But Somerset, Hunterdon, and Morris Counties top it out. I think Morris County might be the second wealthiest in the nation. Bergen is much lower on the national rank. I think it may be down closer to 20th on the national rank. You have to check me on that one though.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:12 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,426,965 times
So is Fort Lee rich or middle class?

Old 04-16-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
That's like comparing apples and oranges. They're pretty much two totally different worlds. South Bergen is more middle and working class. A lot of blue collar people, and it tends to be more congested. North Bergen is more of wealthy suburbs.

To say most people in Bergen county are wealthy and rich is really just a generalization and for the most part not true. It is the most populous county in NJ so you're going to see a pretty even distribution of people from every walk of life. Rich and wealthy people, middle class families, blue-collar working class people, you see it all. I think it's fair to say though that the farther North you head in Bergen County, the number of wealthy families increase.

And yes, Bergen County is one of the wealthiest counties in the US. But Somerset, Hunterdon, and Morris Counties top it out. I think Morris County might be the second wealthiest in the nation. Bergen is much lower on the national rank. I think it may be down closer to 20th on the national rank. You have to check me on that one though.
Although I agree with you overall, I am going to disagree A LITTLE for the following reason: During the recent absurdity that took place in our real estate market.... Upper Bergen became SO incredibly overpriced that only the super wealthy could afford it. Therefore a lot of younger professional couples who were not necessarily dripping in dough settled into SOUTHERN Bergen County. So you'd be shocked at the # of "professionals" living in towns like Wood-Ridge, Hasbrouck Heights or Rutherford....

Old 04-16-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
So is Fort Lee rich or middle class?
Good town to question on that... Ft. Lee is a mix. Ft. lee is a lot more "city" than suburb. Often called the 6th Boro of NY before Hoboken was....

There are many very wealthy folks there because the proximity to NY and the incredible views... but also a lot of middle class folks too.

But again, I really say "middle class" in NJ is a different animal. You need A LOT more $ to be "mc" in NJ.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:37 PM

469 posts, read 938,987 times
NORTHERN BERGEN. If my friend and I got a place to stay together or whatever in northern bergen I would never want to drive to this **** nest I live in now. Yeah it can be worse or this or that, I know I know trust me I've been to the worst areas of Newark but I can not stand southern bergen county at the moment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey