Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 10:44 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusher View Post
Ehh, what mom and pop owns liquor stores in NJ? Every single one I've ever been to has been owned by Indian and Pakistani folks just recently in country. I suppose they are mothers and fathers to people, but that's hardly the standard definition of "mom and pop."
Joe Canal's: various locations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 11:07 AM

97 posts, read 485,900 times
Quote:
I believe that the townships will still auction and trade liquor licenses in the traditional way as that's a big money maker for towns. My town only has one liquor license and its already owned by the liquor store, so the grocery store in town will have to beg the town to issue another.
yes, they absolutely still do this; i've spoken to many local restaurant owners (byob places) that say they can't afford to buy a license from the local ABC. I've heard of some going for thousands of dollars.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:34 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,935,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
In New Mexico, you can pretty much buy a fifth of Jack, a gun and a ski mask all in the same place.
In Wyoming they have drive-thru liquor stores. You can get a Jack and coke or any other mixed drink. The catch is, they can't serve it to you mixed. They give you an airplane bottle of Jack, a small can of coke and a plastic cup of ice .

Old 06-10-2008, 11:53 AM

1,369 posts, read 4,638,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marye711 View Post
Boones Farm lol do they even make that anymore???

LOL! I just realized my typo. It is Boones Farm, not Boon.

I don't know if they make it anymore but when I was ahem...experimenting when I was young-er, we girls loved the one by Boones Farm called, "Kountry Kwencher" LOL!!!

Shanny

Old 06-10-2008, 12:12 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lov403 View Post
yes, they absolutely still do this; i've spoken to many local restaurant owners (byob places) that say they can't afford to buy a license from the local ABC. I've heard of some going for thousands of dollars.
actually they can go for many hundreds of thousands in some towns, years ago when I was involved in politics we tried to get legislation passed that would allow restaurants to get a limited beer and wine license, the traditional license holders went ballistic saying that we would diminish the value of their license and the whole deal was killed.
It actually works out well the way things are because many places are stuck with being BYOB and that can be a real money saver since restaurants will mark up wine 300-400%

Old 06-10-2008, 03:12 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
Quote:
Ehh, what mom and pop owns liquor stores in NJ? Every single one I've ever been to has been owned by Indian and Pakistani folks just recently in country. I suppose they are mothers and fathers to people, but that's hardly the standard definition of "mom and pop."
Mom and Pop, meaning, small business owner.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:48 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,017,125 times
Food Basics sells liquor in its supermarkets. This chain is not that big though. There are only four that I know of (located in Paterson, Belleville, Passaic, and Glen Rock). It's originally Canadian and it's related to A&P somehow. They have great prices too.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:44 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
Food Basics sells liquor in its supermarkets. This chain is not that big though. There are only four that I know of (located in Paterson, Belleville, Passaic, and Glen Rock). It's originally Canadian and it's related to A&P somehow. They have great prices too.
there used to be one near me. it was an a&p liquors, changed to food basics, then, when the supermarket closed (the liquor store was in the same shopping center, but different building) it went back to a&p.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:35 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
This will really kill the local mom and pop liquor store.

Another great thing that NJ does to screw small local businesses.
That's one thing I like about PA's liquor laws. Beer can only be sold in independent beer distributors and six-pack stores. You can't buy any beer in supermarkets in PA. I like how the only options are local mom-and-pop distributors with good selections of microbrews and local beers. If they allowed it to be sold everywhere, the market would be dominated by places like Wal-mart, which would squash the small local breweries and we would be stuck with mass-produced swill like Bud, Miller, and Coors.

The only downfall is that the beer distributors can only sell by the case or keg...can't get 12 packs anywhere but 6-pack shops that charge an arm-and-a-leg.

Now liquor in PA is only sold in state-run liquor stores, but that doesn't bother me because I only drink beer....I'm not a fan of the hard stuff.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:39 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,620,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
That's one thing I like about PA's liquor laws. Beer can only be sold in independent beer distributors and six-pack stores. You can't buy any beer in supermarkets in PA. I like how the only options are local mom-and-pop distributors with good selections of microbrews and local beers. If they allowed it to be sold everywhere, the market would be dominated by places like Wal-mart, which would squash the small local breweries and we would be stuck with mass-produced swill like Bud, Miller, and Coors.

The only downfall is that the beer distributors can only sell by the case or keg...can't get 12 packs anywhere but 6-pack shops that charge an arm-and-a-leg.

Now liquor in PA is only sold in state-run liquor stores, but that doesn't bother me because I only drink beer....I'm not a fan of the hard stuff.
Was in Scranton last weekend I knew they were higher in price and beer did go up but man I almost died when we had to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey