Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Windfall profit tax, unconstitutional and anti-capitalist, major metropolitan areas of business, gas prices, big oil companies, taxing oil industry, personal income taxes, Exxon’s money

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 08:03 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times

Advertisements

The profit percentages of the oil companies are lower than many other industries. They make it up in bulk.

As for the cause, look at overconsumption combined with a commodities bubble.

When you mention mention people moving to PA... you must live in NJ. A small crappy house is 300K and up. And if by huge you mean 2200 SF, that is a funny definition of huge. That just happens to be the size of a coworker megacommuter I work with. He suffers but the rest of the family has a MUCH better life in PA. I just value my time more. An hour each way is more than enough thank you so I go back to my crappy rental each day... thankful I still have BOTH my jobs and that trumps everything.

Now getting people out of big SUVs is a good thing. Purely from a national security standpoint we need to reduce oil consumption. A 25 MPG sedan will halve the gas cost of a 12 MPG behemoth and have all the comforts. A Corolla will cut it by 2/3 but will sacrifice comfort. A glorified lawnmower with a roof (Yaris) will cut it by 70% but sacrifice more comfort.

In this country we need some leadership noone is willing to provide.
1) I don’t care that you don’t like nuke plants. It is current tech and we are going to build them. (Probably the melt down proof pebble bed design?)
2) Set the floor of fuel at 4 bucks a gallon through the use of gas tax quarterly adjusted AT THE SAME TIME increase the exemption on income tax to make it neutral. This might pop the bubble too.
3) Start a federal yearly guzzler tax. A B and C. Start it very small but with stated in advance increases to over time to influence vehicle choice over time without immediately forcing people to buy a new vehicle and jacking up car prices and car dealer profits. Tax A is higher and is for sub 20 MPG. Tax B is for sub 30 MPG and is smaller. Tax C is zero for >30 MPG. 2009 ($A/$B) is $20/$10, 2010 $50/$20 2011 $100/40 2012 $250/$75 2013 $500/$100 2014+ $1000/$200. Allow 1 “deduction” for a single B class vehicle. Basically this allows a family of 4 which needs at least one decent sized vehicle to keep a 22 MPG minivan or crossover along with a relative fuel sipper for commuting. Offset with another increase in the income tax exemption.
4) Pave over every rooftop of every mall and big box store with thin film solar panels. Sprawl creates usage. Now sprawl will help offset sprawl. Subsidize the heck out of it.
5) Disallow HOA prohibitions against solar panels of certain designs. STANDARDIZE (as far as compatability) DESIGNS, modularize them, and make everyone produce to that standard (as far as compatability). This includes the inverters. Make the power offs from the power company free by law so people can install their inverters without this often rip off price. Create a standard definition for an install of a solar system to encourage competition. Electrical contractor: My price for a federal defined solar installation is $X.
6) Push solid state lighting HARDCORE. Tax incandescent bulbs similar to gas guzzler tax above. (start small year 1 and build up to 3 bucks a bulb) Use incandescent tax directly applied to subsidizing solid state lighting devices.
7) Non energy star refrigerators can not be sold new. PERIOD. ( My job 2 is selling fridges and I push ES fridges hard but they are 100 bucks more)
8) Push induction stoves or similar tech in similar method to above.
9) Wind turbines wherever there is wind. Whatever rich community it was (on Long Island?) that complained that they might see them 10 mi off shore… Put them 1500 feet of their beach for being snobby NIMBY *******.
10) Drill drill drill for oil. When it comes to funding terrorists via mideast oil or annoying caribou. I choose drill. (hint the Alaska pipeline hasnt made caribou extinct). Beat the ****ing Chinese/ Cubans who are slant drilling into our freaking oil field from Cuba. Simple rule. The oil company pays rack rate at 100% occupancy for any tourist hotel closed by an oil spill. That will make them be careful and if the hotel owner does get shut down he makes out like a bandit.

Im sure there are others but that is a start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 08:12 AM

604 posts, read 2,914,466 times
Deleted

Last edited by emanon; 06-11-2008 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: wrong thread

Old 06-11-2008, 08:14 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGIANTS View Post
Yes. All Corporations' profits should be sliced so the Government gets their share. How could the Government do anything wrong with billions of dollars siphoned from our economy?
bwahahaha, you've got to be kidding, give more money to the idiots in DC?

Old 06-11-2008, 08:17 AM

717 posts, read 773,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
bwahahaha, you've got to be kidding, give more money to the idiots in DC?
Sure thats the answer. They all know how to handle our money. I mean they are going to tell us how to invest our SS money and tell us what Doctors to pay for. They are all financial experts in DC. Big Government is what this country needs. Government Everywhere!!!

Since you believe I was serious I have some commercial property to sell you - its called the Empire State Building.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:38 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
The profit percentages of the oil companies are lower than many other industries. They make it up in bulk.

As for the cause, look at overconsumption combined with a commodities bubble.

When you mention mention people moving to PA... you must live in NJ. A small crappy house is 300K and up. And if by huge you mean 2200 SF, that is a funny definition of huge. That just happens to be the size of a coworker megacommuter I work with. He suffers but the rest of the family has a MUCH better life in PA. I just value my time more. An hour each way is more than enough thank you so I go back to my crappy rental each day... thankful I still have BOTH my jobs and that trumps everything.

Now getting people out of big SUVs is a good thing. Purely from a national security standpoint we need to reduce oil consumption. A 25 MPG sedan will halve the gas cost of a 12 MPG behemoth and have all the comforts. A Corolla will cut it by 2/3 but will sacrifice comfort. A glorified lawnmower with a roof (Yaris) will cut it by 70% but sacrifice more comfort.

In this country we need some leadership noone is willing to provide.
1) I don’t care that you don’t like nuke plants. It is current tech and we are going to build them. (Probably the melt down proof pebble bed design?)
2) Set the floor of fuel at 4 bucks a gallon through the use of gas tax quarterly adjusted AT THE SAME TIME increase the exemption on income tax to make it neutral. This might pop the bubble too.
3) Start a federal yearly guzzler tax. A B and C. Start it very small but with stated in advance increases to over time to influence vehicle choice over time without immediately forcing people to buy a new vehicle and jacking up car prices and car dealer profits. Tax A is higher and is for sub 20 MPG. Tax B is for sub 30 MPG and is smaller. Tax C is zero for >30 MPG. 2009 ($A/$B) is $20/$10, 2010 $50/$20 2011 $100/40 2012 $250/$75 2013 $500/$100 2014+ $1000/$200. Allow 1 “deduction” for a single B class vehicle. Basically this allows a family of 4 which needs at least one decent sized vehicle to keep a 22 MPG minivan or crossover along with a relative fuel sipper for commuting. Offset with another increase in the income tax exemption.
4) Pave over every rooftop of every mall and big box store with thin film solar panels. Sprawl creates usage. Now sprawl will help offset sprawl. Subsidize the heck out of it.
5) Disallow HOA prohibitions against solar panels of certain designs. STANDARDIZE (as far as compatability) DESIGNS, modularize them, and make everyone produce to that standard (as far as compatability). This includes the inverters. Make the power offs from the power company free by law so people can install their inverters without this often rip off price. Create a standard definition for an install of a solar system to encourage competition. Electrical contractor: My price for a federal defined solar installation is $X.
6) Push solid state lighting HARDCORE. Tax incandescent bulbs similar to gas guzzler tax above. (start small year 1 and build up to 3 bucks a bulb) Use incandescent tax directly applied to subsidizing solid state lighting devices.
7) Non energy star refrigerators can not be sold new. PERIOD. ( My job 2 is selling fridges and I push ES fridges hard but they are 100 bucks more)
8) Push induction stoves or similar tech in similar method to above.
9) Wind turbines wherever there is wind. Whatever rich community it was (on Long Island?) that complained that they might see them 10 mi off shore… Put them 1500 feet of their beach for being snobby NIMBY *******.
10) Drill drill drill for oil. When it comes to funding terrorists via mideast oil or annoying caribou. I choose drill. (hint the Alaska pipeline hasnt made caribou extinct). Beat the ****ing Chinese/ Cubans who are slant drilling into our freaking oil field from Cuba. Simple rule. The oil company pays rack rate at 100% occupancy for any tourist hotel closed by an oil spill. That will make them be careful and if the hotel owner does get shut down he makes out like a bandit.

Im sure there are others but that is a start.
I lvoe these ideas!!!! Rep points for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey