Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 11:51 AM
lvm lvm started this thread

5 posts, read 48,046 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to buy a single family home (max 460K) in central NJ where we can easily commute to midtown NYC. We're looking for a safe, family friendly diverse neighborhood with great schools, shopping, parks, restaurants etc. with no more 1-1.5 hour commute to midtown NYC.

What towns would you suggest CLOSE to transportation in Middlesex or Somerset county? Any thoughts on East Brunswick? Milltown? North Plainsfield? Or perhaps another county? Although I haven't heard great things about Union or Essex counties and Bergen is out of our price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 01:14 PM

170 posts, read 962,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvm View Post
My husband and I are looking to buy a single family home (max 460K) in central NJ where we can easily commute to midtown NYC. We're looking for a safe, family friendly diverse neighborhood with great schools, shopping, parks, restaurants etc. with no more 1-1.5 hour commute to midtown NYC.

What towns would you suggest CLOSE to transportation in Middlesex or Somerset county? Any thoughts on East Brunswick? Milltown? North Plainsfield? Or perhaps another county? Although I haven't heard great things about Union or Essex counties and Bergen is out of our price range.

What size home are you looking for? If you are thinking 4 bedroom, there is not that much out there at that price. You would have to trade off - for example you could look in Woodbridge which has the commute time you are looking for as well as home price, but the schools are not that great according to some websites. The same goes for North Plainfield. Commuting from East Brunswick and Milltown would be more than 1.5 hours to Mid-town.

There are parts of Union and Essex county that are wonderful and have everything you require but home price. In towns like Short Hills, Milburn, Summit, New Providence, and Berkeley Heights schools are great and commutes can be down in a little over an hour, but property is insanely expensive. A budget of $460,000 gets you a small home or townhouse. Taxes are insane as well.

It is also worth to not that there will be redistricting in Essex counties so great schools like SH, Millburn, etc will now be accept students from Newark. Yes, you now pay $16,000 a year for 1/3 acre for the right to share your school with Newark.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:20 PM

512 posts, read 1,755,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royceb View Post
What size home are you looking for? If you are thinking 4 bedroom, there is not that much out there at that price. You would have to trade off - for example you could look in Woodbridge which has the commute time you are looking for as well as home price, but the schools are not that great according to some websites. The same goes for North Plainfield. Commuting from East Brunswick and Milltown would be more than 1.5 hours to Mid-town.

There are parts of Union and Essex county that are wonderful and have everything you require but home price. In towns like Short Hills, Milburn, Summit, New Providence, and Berkeley Heights schools are great and commutes can be down in a little over an hour, but property is insanely expensive. A budget of $460,000 gets you a small home or townhouse. Taxes are insane as well.

It is also worth to not that there will be redistricting in Essex counties so great schools like SH, Millburn, etc will now be accept students from Newark. Yes, you now pay $16,000 a year for 1/3 acre for the right to share your school with Newark.
This is why Short Hills/Millburn has been trying to leave Essex and join Morris. We welcome you SH/Millburn.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljaybird View Post
This is why Short Hills/Millburn has been trying to leave Essex and join Morris. We welcome you SH/Millburn.
It's also a word of caution to those saying they want a "diverse neighborhood". Be careful what you wish for some of the time.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:40 PM
lvm lvm started this thread

5 posts, read 48,046 times
Thanks for your responses. Unfortunately, our budget is our budget so a trade off needs to be made re: home price vs. accessibility to NYC. How far of a commute is East Brunswick, you mentioned more than 1.5 hours.... for rail service would I have to North Brunswick? From what I understand there is no train station in East Brunswick. Also, any feedback on Milltown? I saw a house there and it the town had a small town feel, but didn't seem like it offered much in terms of restaurants, shopping et.c Also I understand that after middle school, kids need to commute to a neighboring town.

How about Morris? How far is that from NYC? thanks in your help. I've tried doing research going on the NJ transit website, but unless you're familiar with the area it's pretty tough.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:48 PM

512 posts, read 1,755,093 times
Morris County is good, from Morristown east is commutable in an hour or less. Very expensive though, but you never know. Try towns like Morristown, Madison, Chatham, Convent Station. (They are all on the Midtown Direct line, and Hoboken line).

Old 01-09-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvm View Post
Thanks for your responses. Unfortunately, our budget is our budget so a trade off needs to be made re: home price vs. accessibility to NYC. How far of a commute is East Brunswick, you mentioned more than 1.5 hours.... for rail service would I have to North Brunswick? From what I understand there is no train station in East Brunswick. Also, any feedback on Milltown? I saw a house there and it the town had a small town feel, but didn't seem like it offered much in terms of restaurants, shopping et.c Also I understand that after middle school, kids need to commute to a neighboring town.

How about Morris? How far is that from NYC? thanks in your help. I've tried doing research going on the NJ transit website, but unless you're familiar with the area it's pretty tough.
From East Brunswick, I wouldn't be surprised if the trip took close to 2 hours door to door. You would probably have to use the New Brunswick train station or take the East Brunswick bus to the Port Authority. I am not sure of Milltown, but I believe that is near the Jackson area? If so, that is a 2 hour commute as well. It is a bit rural for my tastes as well.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:59 PM

46 posts, read 427,253 times
Default Look into High Bridge

There is a train right in High Bridge, the schools are tops and the area is very cute and family friendly. Oh, and the houses are not outrageous. It is the last stop on the Raritan Line I believe.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:01 PM

604 posts, read 2,914,466 times
IVM,
You might investigate Middlesex Boro in Middlesex county. NJ transit rail and bus to NYC is very close. Middlesex is a blue collar town and has some very nice areas. It also has arguably one of the best Italian restaurants in NJ. Vincenzio's.(sp) Middlesex is also home town of Notre Dame football coach. Charlie Weiss.
You could also check out Finderne section of Bridgewater Twp. (very good schools) but no famous head coach :-) Rail and bus to NYC. Bridgewater has homes from 300K to 2Mil and it has something that a lot of other towns wished thay had. Location, location,location.

Last edited by emanon; 01-09-2007 at 04:16 PM..

Old 01-09-2007, 04:15 PM

604 posts, read 2,914,466 times
IVM,
How could I forget Green Brook Twp. in Somerset County. I only lived there for ten years.
Homes South of rt. 22 in your price range and NJ Transit train to NYC in Dunellen 1 mile drive.

Green Brook Twp. has good schools and also sends it's HS students to the very upscale community of Watchung Boro.

E
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey