Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2008, 08:20 AM

327 posts, read 879,789 times

Advertisements

Hello,

How receptive is downtown Ridgewood to an openly gay couple? I'm based in Manhattan, but am staying in town for a long-term project. I've eaten at Montclair before and no problems there.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 10:19 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,292,986 times
I'd say that your reception in Ridgewood may not be as good as in Montclair- they're a little less "progressive" in Ridgewood. I guess it really comes down to your definition of "openly gay", too- two men having dinner together won't be likely to draw any stares, but I'd say that if you're overly flamboyant or if you try walking down the street hand in hand or showing any other PDA's you may.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:35 AM
ira

657 posts, read 3,922,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I'd say that your reception in Ridgewood may not be as good as in Montclair- they're a little less "progressive" in Ridgewood. I guess it really comes down to your definition of "openly gay", too- two men having dinner together won't be likely to draw any stares, but I'd say that if you're overly flamboyant or if you try walking down the street hand in hand or showing any other PDA's you may.
I agree with Bob.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:55 AM

327 posts, read 879,789 times
thanks guys, yes we eat out for dinner a lot, but are not flamboyant by any means (not that there's anything wrong). bit surprised being it's proximity to the city, but glad i asked.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:01 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,292,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjitty View Post
thanks guys, yes we eat out for dinner a lot, but are not flamboyant by any means (not that there's anything wrong). bit surprised being it's proximity to the city, but glad i asked.
Nope- nothing wrong with it at all. I've got several gay friends down here in Atlanta (this place is like the San Francisco of the East....lol), and several of their friends are extremely flamboyant- they're the funnest people to hang out with most of the time. Of course, down here no one pays any attention to it (except if you head out of town a bit), but in Ridgewood it'll draw alot of attention..

Old 06-13-2008, 09:49 PM

110 posts, read 547,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjitty View Post
Hello,

How receptive is downtown Ridgewood to an openly gay couple? I'm based in Manhattan, but am staying in town for a long-term project. I've eaten at Montclair before and no problems there.

Thanks.

Ridgewood is not Montclair. Both towns have nice restaurants downtown, but Montclair has many more artists living there. Ridgewood is decidedly a family town. It has a lot of Republicans, but don't hold that against it!

What do you define as "openly gay"? I alway hear people dwell on holding hands in public....not for nothing, but the list of places where you can get away with that is so minimal that I don't think it's a legitimate barameter of tolerance.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:15 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,480,704 times
Nyack, ny upper nyack openly gay community, nice town , nice downtown along the hudson. Right over the border of NJ . Ridgewood and Montclair are no where near as good as Nyack!! Go check it out!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey