Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 06:57 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
He just wants something to hate and a reason to complain, no real substance
doing a search of his posts confirms that fact!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 10:04 PM

83 posts, read 279,167 times
Default Hiking in NJ

As a teen (back in the prehistoric 1980s) I hiked a nice chunk of the Kittatinny Ridge, which is part of the Appalachain Trail. Some of the most breathtaking views I have ever seen.... It is something I am looking forwards to doing again.

A lot of NW Jersey is quite rural.... maybe less so now than then, but still quite a bit... esp places like Warren County, where I found myself _incarcerated_ in boarding school

diogenesNY

Old 06-13-2008, 10:49 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
I have to agree that New Jerseyans (for the most part) is not very outdoorsy. I'm sure there are many people that are (my dad and brother being two examples). But I'm sure most New Jerseyans prefer to spent a day in a nearby major city (like NYC, Boston, DC, or Philly) or the shore instead.

Like one of my professors once said: "New Jersey doesn't do nature". The class roared with laughter.

I don't however want our state parks to be developed. We have enough traffic and people as it is! Save the trees!

I couldn't agree more. I have lived here for my entire life, and I can tell you, for a Jersey person, a "hike" is walking down the boardwalk shouting at women or walking through the mall looking for yet another pair of $80 sweat pants with the word "Pink" written across the booty.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
what confuses me is, on one hand, he's a nature lover, on the other, the state should sell the parks to the highest bidder and bulldoze them. a true nature lover would never want this, even in a place they claim to hate.

I like nature...not what passes for it here. Might as well finish what they started in Jersey and do away with all open space. As long as the Catskills, Adorondacks(spelling?) Green Mountains and the rest of the country are okay, I'm fine with that.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
I've traveled to alot of parks in several states; yes, some parks elsewhere are quite nice, but the thing is, its about all they have as a state. This is what, imho, makes NJ great - you have everything here.

In my town alone, a boy scout (to attain eagle scout status, I believe), restored an old trail - overall, there are 6 miles of trail. He cleaned up paths, made sure there was a good route, etc. Just yesterday one of my neighbors was saying how great it is to take a walk with her dogs through the area, get some exercise, and just enjoy the beautiful walk.

You've got a very skewed view of NJ - whatever urban mistake you're in, get out. Go elsewhere within NJ if you don't make it to Seattle (iirc), and start to realize that there is more to NJ than the port in Elizabeth, the streets of Newark, and route 1 strip malls.

6 Miles? What the heck is that? One could use that to warm up for hiking the trails in Olympic or mount hood parks.

Also, NOWHERE in Jersey has what I want...a nice city that's a half-hour or so from woods. Seattle is that, Portland is that, Salt Lake City is that ( more like 45 minutes or so, but still) but Jersey? To live near some trees here, you have to live an hour away from work and a half an hour away from a place to buy a quart of milk...not exactly "green living" when you consider commute time and all the gasoline you burn. I can live in Portland, Seattle or SLC and only drive once or twice a week.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:52 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
6 Miles? What the heck is that? One could use that to warm up for hiking the trails in Olympic or mount hood parks.
Did you eat paint chips as a child? 6 miles in my tiny town. My town is SMALL.

Quote:
Also, NOWHERE in Jersey has what I want...
Meh. So leave. You are wrong again, but hey, you know that already

Old 06-14-2008, 06:58 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,745 times
Quote:
I couldn't agree more. I have lived here for my entire life, and I can tell you, for a Jersey person, a "hike" is walking down the boardwalk shouting at women or walking through the mall looking for yet another pair of $80 sweat pants with the word "Pink" written across the booty.
could it be that you are just familiar with a different type of person? I know many people who hunt, fish or even just go for daily walks in the many rustic parks or on the beach

Old 06-14-2008, 07:01 AM

Quote:

Also, NOWHERE in Jersey has what I want...a nice city that's a half-hour or so from woods. Seattle is that, Portland is that, Salt Lake City is that ( more like 45 minutes or so, but still) but Jersey? To live near some trees here, you have to live an hour away from work and a half an hour away from a place to buy a quart of milk...not exactly "green living" when you consider commute time and all the gasoline you burn. I can live in Portland, Seattle or SLC and only drive once or twice a week.
just because *YOU* know of no places like that doe not mean that places like that don't exist. I can be in Manhattan in 40 minutes via ferry and I am 5 minutes away from miles of hiking trails or beaches, all you are doing with your silly posts are showing us how little your view of things are

Old 06-14-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
just because *YOU* know of no places like that doe not mean that places like that don't exist. I can be in Manhattan in 40 minutes via ferry and I am 5 minutes away from miles of hiking trails or beaches, all you are doing with your silly posts are showing us how little your view of things are
I'm not talking about a little park with some shrubs or the guido shore, I am talking about real forest, which are found only in the far north of Jersey...do NOT talk to me about the pine barrens, as I have been there and I can tell you, it's almost all swamp.

Old 06-14-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I'm not talking about a little park with some shrubs or the guido shore, I am talking about real forest, which are found only in the far north of Jersey...do NOT talk to me about the pine barrens, as I have been there and I can tell you, it's almost all swamp.
sorry but you're clueless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey