Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2008, 03:22 PM

69 posts, read 183,566 times

Advertisements

My partner may have great job opportunity in the Somers Point area. Currently we live in Ocean Grove, five blocks from the beach. We love where we live, but not the surrounding area. It's way too crowded during the summer and the property taxes seem to go up every year.

We talked about relocating to CT at some point, but if my partner gets this job we're staying in NJ for at least the next 15 years. We are still considering relocating, but it may be closer to Somers Point.

I am totally unfamiliar with the area except for some excursions into the Pine Barrens and AC. We are looking for space...acreage...private. We would like to be near or on a body of FRESH water. We are looking for friendly, quaint towns with a picturesque town center and local activities. We don't have kids so schools are not a big deal. We would prefer being as far north as we can from Somers Point and have a decent commute. BUT if there any hidden gem towns within a 25-40 miles radius of Somers Point I would love to hear about those too.
I assume taxes and house prices are less down there?
Any ideas and suggestions are most welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 07:06 AM

Wow. I'm surprised nobody has chimed in about great south Jersey towns close to Somers Point. How about Chatsworth? Mays Landing?
Others?

Old 06-12-2008, 07:12 AM

691 posts, read 3,050,202 times
Northfield and Linwood are two very nice quaint towns that are pretty much right next to Somers Point. If you are looking for more acreage, check out Egg Harbor Township or Galloway Township. However, these are more suburban in nature with no real downtown area.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:17 AM

68 posts, read 202,661 times
Default Medford Lakes

Medford lakes is quaint, it's a lot closer to Somers Point than is Ocean Grove, and there's a lake, so it meets all of your criteria. Then again, must be other towns that do, perhaps to the east. A realtor could help you.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:29 AM

16 posts, read 40,290 times
I'm surprised there are some people who don't believe there is a Central Jersey.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:38 AM

1,369 posts, read 4,627,451 times
The vast majority of the posters here are from North Jersey. there are a few of us in SJ sprinkled in. What that tells you is there is a lot of open space here, less people.

I wish I knew something about Somers Point but I'm new to SJ.

It's funny....in my late 20s, I rented a beautiful flat in an old victorian in Ocean Grove.

Good luck to you!

~Shanny

Old 06-12-2008, 12:42 PM

Does anyone know about Mays Landing?
Thanks for replies so far.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:52 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,329,440 times
Mays Landing looks quaint...there is a mall there..Hamilton Mall with some mall strip areas..
I am in Little Egg (and hate it!)gnats,flies,bugs,mosquitos,ugh!) We will be going elsewhere in a year! Not all of South Jersey is bad-just my town lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey