U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 11:55 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,136,523 times

Advertisements

Anyone familar with this complex? If not, it is a hotel with 48 residences attached. I am eager to see what people think of this complex as well as the new condo/hotel style of living. Here is more info for people not familar:

The Residences at the Heldrich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 01:01 AM

810 posts, read 2,271,539 times
I go to Rutgers, so I live in the New Brunswick area for most of the year. The Heidrich is very nice, but also very expensive! Downtown New Brunswick is really nice and it keeps getting better. Mass gentrification is going on and a new high rise is going to be built across the street from The Heidrich (right next to the State Theater). Another high-rise is going to be built close to the train station. It's going to be a small transit hub (which will connect the station directly with the univeristy). It will be the tallest building in New Brunswick when completed. A cluster of three tenement buildings was recently demolished (across the street from the Rockoff Building and adjacent to the back of The Heindrich). IDK what they're going to do there, but I'm sure it's going to be great. Another possibility for Downtown New Brunswick is going to be the arrival of desperately needed retail (like clothes stores), since the area is excessively dominated by restaurants. A Banana Republic and a well-known department store are rumored. I know these things because they come out in our school newspaper (The Daily Targum), so we get to know about the city's new developments way before the general public does.

I don't know how many units were designated as condos, but I do know that the building is mostly a hotel with retail stores on the ground floor. It also has state-of-the-art conference centers that are used heavily by the school and near-by corporations.

I recommend it! New Brunswick offers great urban downtown living, something very hard to find in New Jersey. Good Luck!

Last edited by Busch Boy; 06-13-2008 at 01:21 AM.. Reason: I added more info.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:17 AM

810 posts, read 2,271,539 times
I just looked at the website and the prices seem to have gone way down! When it was first completed, the lowest prices I remember were in the lower-$600,000's. I guess the burst of the housing bubble brought the prices down. The part of the building that holds the condo units is shown in the larger building (the one that has a tall glass cylinder in the corner of the building). A condo in the $400,000's is not too bad, IMO.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:14 AM

Yeah it looks like a great complex and prices have fallen. I think if you like the hotel lifestyle, this complex is for you. The only thing I can not get passed is the $700/month Maintence fee.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:36 AM

1,026 posts, read 2,063,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeViper01 View Post
Yeah it looks like a great complex and prices have fallen. I think if you like the hotel lifestyle, this complex is for you. The only thing I can not get passed is the $700/month Maintence fee.

Would you believe that $700/month or more in maintenance fees are the NORM out here for condos/townhouses on Long Island...?

Old 12-04-2008, 11:57 AM

498 posts, read 578,842 times
I've been in New Brunswick for 10 years now. The places look nice, but one thing to consider is that it still borders an area that has a lot of crime. In fact, the area you are looking at was a crime hell hole before they knocked down the projects. While the country is entering recession, you can only expect crime to get worse and the area may suffer from the spillover two blocks down. A few days ago, someone was stabbed to death about 2 blocks from where you are looking at. Generally, right now, the area is safe and the crime doesn't make it's way there. But I have a strong feeling that won't be the case a few years from now.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monack View Post
Would you believe that $700/month or more in maintenance fees are the NORM out here for condos/townhouses on Long Island...?
Tell me about it. I know about it all too well. I currently have a home in Long Island and I am just amazed by the taxes, maintence fees, and etc that are here. Heck why the heck does one have to pay two seperate taxes if they live in a Village? A Property tax and then a village tax? Come on!

Old 12-18-2008, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoakman View Post
I've been in New Brunswick for 10 years now. The places look nice, but one thing to consider is that it still borders an area that has a lot of crime. In fact, the area you are looking at was a crime hell hole before they knocked down the projects. While the country is entering recession, you can only expect crime to get worse and the area may suffer from the spillover two blocks down. A few days ago, someone was stabbed to death about 2 blocks from where you are looking at. Generally, right now, the area is safe and the crime doesn't make it's way there. But I have a strong feeling that won't be the case a few years from now.
Good point but unfortunately many of the people in the area do not pay attention to this as this is the restaurant square where all the happenings are. People walk freely at night without a care in the world. People just need to be careful. I still think the location and units are nice but I am just worried as I think that it is a bit pricey at the time for New Brunswick.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:15 AM

1,185 posts, read 2,149,825 times
Quote:
Good point but unfortunately many of the people in the area do not pay attention to this as this is the restaurant square where all the happenings are. People walk freely at night without a care in the world. People just need to be careful. I still think the location and units are nice but I am just worried as I think that it is a bit pricey at the time for New Brunswick.
I agree the pricing may still be a bit over the top for NB, though not as much as it has been. One of the saving graces for the Heldrich spot is that it is a hotel and right across the street from the theaters. As such, security is going to be tighter (at least for right now) in the area. With the push by the State Theater to bring in "big-name" acts, the last thing they need is for muggings and the like to take place.

Having been in the Heldrich several times for various Rutgers events, I can tell you the place is very nicely maintained. It is a boutique hotel in that the style quite distinctive. I haven't been in any of the condos for sale, but what I've heard about them is very postitive. In essense, think of one of the largest suites in a Hyatt and add a full kitchen, dining room, and one or two more bedrooms.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Gateway Project that BuschBoy wrote about. That is supposed to be a 30 story building with "structured parking, a destination bookstore along with other considerable retail spaces, and a significant residential component" (taken from the DevCo website. Personally, I am very interested in seeing the Barnes & Noble go in with the stage space they usually include for concerts and readings.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:41 AM

1,026 posts, read 2,063,792 times
Quote:
Tell me about it. I know about it all too well. I currently have a home in Long Island and I am just amazed by the taxes, maintence fees, and etc that are here. Heck why the heck does one have to pay two seperate taxes if they live in a Village? A Property tax and then a village tax? Come on!
Oh - I know. We owned a house in Amityville Village for 5 1/2 years. Horrible school district, and even with the STAR rebate we were paying over $5K/year. Property Tax... Village Tax... and I still had to pony up money for a parking permit every year for the train station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey