Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2008, 09:12 PM

25 posts, read 75,597 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on buying a single family house with only 2 bedrooms? I'm a single person and as many of you know, I am trying to buy a single family house in essex county. I don't have any kids but i'm only looking at 3 bd rms, 2 baths. I originally felt that 2 bd rooms and 2 baths, with a basement would be enough for me. However, everyone told me it would be stupid for me to get anything less than 3 bd rms and 1.5 baths, but preferably 2 baths. So of course I listened to everyone else. But honestly, I don't want to spend the money that is needed to get the kind of 3 bd rms/2 bath house I would want. so i'm limited in where i'm looking (i've been looking primarily in west orange and bloomfield). I'm doing this all by myself!! I don't have a bill-mate. Is it truly that difficult to resale a house with only 2 bd rooms? Is it stupid to buy that kind of house? What are your thoughts on this? I'm putting in my offer on a third house tomorrow (in Bloomfield)--3 bd rms, 2 baths and honestly if this doesn't work I feel like saying forget it and just stay renting. I already feel a lot of stress from my job and looking for a house is just adding to it. Anyway, please give me your thoughts on buying a house with only 2 bd rms. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 09:19 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,808,379 times
While a 3 br has better re-sale value, if a 2 br works for you, I'd go for it. What part of Bloomfield/price range are you looking in? You can send me a direct message if you like.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:03 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,422,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by star18 View Post
What are your thoughts on buying a single family house with only 2 bedrooms? I'm a single person and as many of you know, I am trying to buy a single family house in essex county. I don't have any kids but i'm only looking at 3 bd rms, 2 baths. I originally felt that 2 bd rooms and 2 baths, with a basement would be enough for me. However, everyone told me it would be stupid for me to get anything less than 3 bd rms and 1.5 baths, but preferably 2 baths. So of course I listened to everyone else. But honestly, I don't want to spend the money that is needed to get the kind of 3 bd rms/2 bath house I would want. so i'm limited in where i'm looking (i've been looking primarily in west orange and bloomfield). I'm doing this all by myself!! I don't have a bill-mate. Is it truly that difficult to resale a house with only 2 bd rooms? Is it stupid to buy that kind of house? What are your thoughts on this? I'm putting in my offer on a third house tomorrow (in Bloomfield)--3 bd rms, 2 baths and honestly if this doesn't work I feel like saying forget it and just stay renting. I already feel a lot of stress from my job and looking for a house is just adding to it. Anyway, please give me your thoughts on buying a house with only 2 bd rms. Thanks
Keep in mind #1 as to the area where the 2 bedroom is, is it a young oriented crowd/neighborhood, is it geared towards single people, this will determine what your resale value will be down the road, a 3 bedroom will always appeal to more buyers w/ families, the 2 bedroom will be looked at by either singles or retirees.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:51 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,934,667 times
Although a 3 BR is a better investment for resale value, a 2 BR is a great starter home, which seems to be a lost thing in this State. Good luck to you.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:38 AM

220 posts, read 623,721 times
OK, "yes" the sweet spot in real estate investment is the 3 bed/2 bath home because it appeals to such wide variety of buyers. BUT if it doesn't work for you...do NOT feel like you are doing something foolish to do something that doesn't fit that equation. Becoming a homeowner, no matter WHAT the investment is always a better idea (IF you can afford it, I would never suggest anyone over extend themselves just to buy a home) than not. Right now, "1st time Home Purchases" are what is moving. Who KNOWS what the market will be like whenever you decide to sell but do what's right for you. Maybe the bids on 3 beds/ 2 baths are falling thorugh BECAUSE someone is watching out for you to say "this isn't right for you". Who knows! Good luck & keep us posted on what you decide!!!

Old 06-23-2008, 11:08 AM

5 posts, read 17,666 times
I have been trying to sell my two bedroom house in Bergen County for what seems like a lifetime. I am finding people like my house, but feel it is too small.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:35 PM

220 posts, read 623,721 times
Uggg, carmariepink. I'm sorry to hear about real estate woes...

Old 06-23-2008, 02:01 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,358 times
If I were in your shoes I would not care what other people say. You need to do whats right for you. If you dont see your situation changing in the next 5 years then buy whatever the hell you want!!! If you DO see things changing maybe a condo is a better choice as they are genarally much less upkeep and I think easier to sell in the short term. Anyone out there who knows better please feel free to correct me as these are just my opinions and not based in facts.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:31 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,978,149 times
Personally, my fiancee and I intentionally looked for a 2 bedroom home. Our intention was to lower our costs up front with the purchase of the home and to eventually add on. We hope to add a master suite to second floor of the ranch home we just purchased which would turn our home into a 3 bedroom 2 bath...but I think I'm getting ahead of myself

Old 06-24-2008, 06:19 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by star18 View Post
I would think that if you need a 2 bedroom house, you should buy a 2 bedroom house. I would try to find one with a bath and a half though if possible. You're looking close to NY, for resale there has to be other people in the same boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey