Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 11:02 AM

23 posts, read 107,242 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife recently got her learner's permit from Lodi,NJ.
We decided that she should take driving classes before going for the road test. I looked at the NJ DMV website and found many driving schools there. After contacting many driving schools,finally we shortlisted New Horizons Driving School,Teaneck NJ as they seemd to be good and the rate was also reasonable.
I contacted them and the lady came to our home for signing the contract and scheduled my wife's classes for the next week. I was asked to pay the full amount for her classes in advance. Everything seemed to be perfect at that time. My wife was supposed to go for the class from next Monday daily at 11.30 a.m.

The instructor arrived on Monday on time for the class and my wife was quite happy with her lessons that day. Next day,the instructor called at 11.50 a.m and said that she was running late because of some problem and would arrive shortly. My wife was kind enough and said that she was alright with it. The instructor came at 12.30 p.m and my wife went for the lessons. That day, while returning from class she told my wife that she would not be able to come to give lessons on Thursday. My wife again showed kindness and told her that it was ok with her. On Wednesday, my wife waited for 2 hours for the instructor but noone turned up. When she called and asked why noone came, she was told that there is some problem and they are sorry about that. At this point, my wife lost her patience and was really angry with them. They didnt even bother to call and tell her that the class was cancelled that day.
The instructor talked to my wife and promised that it won't happen again and that she will be there on Friday on time. My wife took her word and calmed herself down. On Friday, my wife suddenly had a severe stomachache in the morning, so she called the driving school at 10.30 a.m. and requested her class to be cancelled for that day. The next class was scheduled on Monday at 10 a.m.
On Monday i.e. today , again, noone came for the class and my wife waited again till 11.00 a.m. It was then when she lost her cool and called me at my office. She told me that she no longer wanted to take driving lessons from this school as they have been very unprofessional and taken her for granted all the time. I called the driving school and asked them as to what has been going on and why are they treating us so badly. The instructor told me that the class was scheduled for 11.30 a.m. and not for 10 a.m.She also said that she was always on time for the class and there was no problem with them. I was really angry now as she was telling me a straight lie. I asked her to refund my money which she refused to do.She asked me whether my wife wanted the class or not on Monday. I told her that I will call her back.

Both me and my wife are very frustrated now and feel helpless. My wife just doesnt want to go for driving class with them now. I just want to know what should we do in this situation. Can we take any action against the driving school.Any suggestions will be very helpful.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 11:15 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,421,005 times
Since you already paid them the full amount in advance and they're refusing to refund you any $$, I'd say tell your wife to suck it up and finish taking her lessons. JMO

Old 06-23-2008, 11:20 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,666,669 times
And bring an audio recorder (disk-based for lengthy recording capabilities). Turn it on in the house before getting in the car, record every comment. If she admits to something in the car, call up and offer to mail a copy of the statements as an audio CD before you file in small claims court.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:22 AM

259 posts, read 924,726 times
How many more lessons do you have? If it's not a lot, I would just finish it up but never recommend them to anyone. Driving schools are a dime a dozen nowadays. If you really are upset with this company and are willing to part with your money, then do some research on driving schools and enroll in the one you like best.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:18 AM

Thanks a lot for the responses. I have gone through the suggestions provided by all of you.

As I had mentioned earlier, my wife has decided that she will not go for the driving classes with the same school. She says that she wont be able to concentrate on learning to drive in the presence of those horrible people. I guess I'll have to forget about my money I paid to them. My wife had 2 of her lessons and 4 lessons are still left. We have started looking for a good driving school now.

But my problem is still the same. There should be something called as justice in this country. There should be some way to punish those who cheat in any way so that honest people can be confident that they can continue to live honestly without any fear. I am sorry for venting out so much, but I really cant help it. I am too much frustrated right now to speak normal. I wont be able to trust any driving school now. I have left the decision for choosing a new school with my wife.

Thanks.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:50 AM

2,715 posts, read 11,901,229 times
I think you should keep contacting them until you get a refund on the portion of unused driving lessons. There's no reason to accept sub par quality.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:26 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,369,890 times
Never pay in advanced. You should have only paid when instructor showed up each day. There is a reason why they asked for advanced payment because they knew they were going to *********.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:41 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,732,889 times
Did you pay by credit card? If so; dispute the charge.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:48 AM

I paid by check...do I have the right to dispute ? How am I supposed to proceed..please provide some details.

Thanks.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:54 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,462,422 times
Ask to speak to a manager regarding your complaints maybe they'll refund part of it or offer some supplemental free classes with someone different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: