Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 01:49 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times

Advertisements

Well Folks, now that the U. S. Supreme Court have overturned DC's handgun laws are you looking to become the next "Dirty Harry" or "Dirty Harriet"? Will your local Walmart now have a Gun section in the "Sporting Goods" department like much of the rest of the country? I'm sure that there will be challenges to NJ's gun laws. What are your thoughts? They'll probably mirror mine, knowing that I can easily obtain a concealed carry permit here in NC. It begs the question, "Because I can, should I"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 01:56 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Maybe if more of the good guys had guns we wouldn't have so many bad azzes around....they know the chance of their victim having a gun are nil

Old 06-26-2008, 02:01 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
The NRA immediately filed lawsuits in several notoriously unfriendly to gun cities and States after the decision of SCOTUS was announced earlier today. More to follow.

GL2

Old 06-26-2008, 02:11 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,724 times
I am happy about today's decision.

Actually, we have been thinking about getting a gun for a few years just because of the way things are going in the world. NH gun laws are a lot more liberal than many places around the country so I don't think that this ruling really affects us. I think it is something that we will do in the near future. Of course we will take the proper classes and do everything responsible and the right way.

Nicolem

Old 06-26-2008, 02:16 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Well Folks, now that the U. S. Supreme Court have overturned DC's handgun laws are you looking to become the next "Dirty Harry" or "Dirty Harriet"?
I can't really tell whether this was a sarcastic remark or not, but though I wholeheartedly support the right to carry, anyone who is "looking to become the next Dirty Harry" has no business carrying a firearm period.

Quote:
Will your local Walmart now have a Gun section in the "Sporting Goods" department like much of the rest of the country?
I could care less. Right across the road from our local Wal-Mart is one of the best hunting and fishing shops (and gunsmiths) in New Jersey and arguably the country. 90% of what Wal-Mart sells is crap-including their guns.

Quote:
What are your thoughts? They'll probably mirror mine, knowing that I can easily obtain a concealed carry permit here in NC. It begs the question, "Because I can, should I"?
I don't know. Should you? Can you handle a firearm? Have you ever used one?

Here in New Jersey I would settle for being able to carry a loaded firearm in my vehicle without an issue. Another nice touch would be the adoption of "Castle Doctrine" as opposed to "Reasonable Retreat." Castle Doctrine basically states that if a person has come into your home with clear intent to do you or your family harm that you have the right to use deadly force against them. Reasonable Retreat, however means that one must use all means necessary (jump out a window, hide in a closet, etc...) to avoid the threat. I like option number one better.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:22 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Here in New Jersey I would settle for being able to carry a loaded firearm in my vehicle without an issue. Another nice touch would be the adoption of "Castle Doctrine" as opposed to "Reasonable Retreat." Castle Doctrine basically states that if a person has come into your home with clear intent to do you or your family harm that you have the right to use deadly force against them. Reasonable Retreat, however means that one must use all means necessary (jump out a window, hide in a closet, etc...) to avoid the threat. I like option number one better.
+1.

I think background checks and safety classes are incredibly important, and each (qualified) person should decide for themselves if they should have a gun. Other than that, I don't really care.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:33 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
+1.

I think background checks and safety classes are incredibly important, and each (qualified) person should decide for themselves if they should have a gun. Other than that, I don't really care.
Right back at'cha. The last thing we need are panicked suburbanites running out to Wal-Mart to get a cheap piece of junk that they may or may not be able to use correctly should the need arise, if in fact it's actually arisen.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
+1.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.
I wholeheartedly agree with your comments. But I think the last line could be also modified with "People with guns kill other people more efficiently! As an aside, Annie Oakley, who certainly knew her way around guns, retired to Martha Stewart's old home town - Nutley! I was seriously thinking of getting a revolver, but when that $600 check came from Uncle Sam, I ended up buying a PS3 and a few Blu-Ray movies. I guess for the time being, I'll be content to watch "Dirty Harry" dispatch the bad guys in High Definition!

Old 06-26-2008, 02:42 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times
Quote:
But I think the last line could be also modified with "People with guns kill other people more efficiently!
I don't know, you can kill people pretty efficiently with a steak knife, a scalpel, a car (you can kill MANY people with a car, VERY easily), a homemade blowgun and poisoned dart, a chainsaw, a high powered nail gun, etc.

Those arguments don't work well with me for that reason, considering how easy it is to get a one ton killer (car), with or without a license.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I don't know, you can kill people pretty efficiently with a steak knife, a scalpel, a car (you can kill MANY people with a car, VERY easily), a homemade blowgun and poisoned dart, a chainsaw, a high powered nail gun, etc.

Those arguments don't work well with me for that reason, considering how easy it is to get a one ton killer (car), with or without a license.
Cu - The problem with those other methods, is that you have to get close to other people, which could be a slight problem if they have a weapon. Stabbings seem to have an invariable "close up and personal aspect" and I hate messing up a good shirt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: