Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 01:29 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,103 times

Advertisements

I know someone who just graduated (4.0!) from Rutgers. They did a full transfer after 2 years from the County College of Morris. I am pretty sure their degree is in philosophy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 02:21 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,355,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
My major will be Meteorology so I know most community schools don't have that as an exact program, but if I can get basic classes out of the way and some classes required for my major I would be happy. Middlesex County is where New Brunswick is located right? About how far is it from NYC? and is there good transportation to the campus?
MCC is in Edison. I was a Liberal Arts major there.

Middlesex County College : Welcome

Old 06-28-2008, 02:42 PM

201 posts, read 1,012,772 times
I went to BCC and transferred to Rutgers. I was pleased.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:04 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,365,864 times
Brookdale Community College in Lincroft , NJ has a Full transfer program with Rutgers and you lose no credits.

Spotlight Archive

Brookdale is an excellent Community College.

Diane G

Old 06-28-2008, 04:27 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,573,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcbunny View Post
I went to BCC and transferred to Rutgers. I was pleased.

BCC, Bergen county right?

Old 06-28-2008, 05:37 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,922,222 times
My son's girlfriend is currently (well not currently as it's summer break) in the Rutgers meteorology program and doing well. She started out at OCC (ocean county college) for 2 years on the NJ STARS program- then transferred to TCNJ where my son just graduated from- but they took almost NONE of her OCC credits- which I think is totally ridiculous for a state college not to accept- anyhoo she hated TCNJ and went to Rutgers where they accepted almost all her OCC credits.

Good luck to you.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:59 PM

792 posts, read 3,137,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
I am trying to find out what the best community colleges are in the area to eventually transfer to either Rutgers University or Kean University. Essex county also had a nice page on thier website that they transfer to them both. What about the rest of the counties(Hudson, Bergen, etc.) do they have similar or better programs? How good are those schools as well as the ones I named? Is it easy to transfer the credits? I am looking for any info or places where I can get info from. Thanks.
Back in the day (late 80s early 90s) as I recall Middlesex CC had a smooth transfer program into Rutgers. Brookdale CC had the same for NJIT which led me to believe would be the same case for Rutgers. Bergen CC threw up some caution flags (heard some horror stories). I don't know if anything has changed today. What I also heard was that the bigger schools are more likely to accept most transfer credits when you have been awarded the AA/AS degree versus just taking classes here and there without earning the AA/AS degree.

For Rutgers you may want to try 2 years at Rutgers Newark Campus and then transfer into the main campus. Also you may want to try "coming in through the back door" at Rutgers by applying as an undecided major at all their New Brunswick area campuses (e.g. Cook, Douglas, University College, etc) and then matriculate later on.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
My son's girlfriend is currently (well not currently as it's summer break) in the Rutgers meteorology program and doing well. She started out at OCC (ocean county college) for 2 years on the NJ STARS program- then transferred to TCNJ where my son just graduated from- but they took almost NONE of her OCC credits- which I think is totally ridiculous for a state college not to accept- anyhoo she hated TCNJ and went to Rutgers where they accepted almost all her OCC credits.

Good luck to you.
I heard so many good things about the program at Rutgers, as a matter of fact it ranked fourth best school to attend for meteorology. I'm glad to hear she is doing well. Thanks for the information and the luck wish.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
Back in the day (late 80s early 90s) as I recall Middlesex CC had a smooth transfer program into Rutgers. Brookdale CC had the same for NJIT which led me to believe would be the same case for Rutgers. Bergen CC threw up some caution flags (heard some horror stories). I don't know if anything has changed today. What I also heard was that the bigger schools are more likely to accept most transfer credits when you have been awarded the AA/AS degree versus just taking classes here and there without earning the AA/AS degree.

For Rutgers you may want to try 2 years at Rutgers Newark Campus and then transfer into the main campus. Also you may want to try "coming in through the back door" at Rutgers by applying as an undecided major at all their New Brunswick area campuses (e.g. Cook, Douglas, University College, etc) and then matriculate later on.

I was thinking about the Newark campus, but that would still have the same price for tuition right? I figured if I attend one of the community colleges I could save some money.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:27 PM

76 posts, read 443,956 times
The website of your dreams would be:

NJ TRANSFER: Linking New Jersey's Colleges and Universities

There's a drop-down menu on the main page that allows you to choose a community college and the school to which you want to transfer. Then you can evaluate whether credits will transfer on a course-by-course basis.

Great site, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey