U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2008, 02:57 PM

542 posts, read 1,502,289 times

Advertisements

I have never commuted in northern/central NJ - I have only passed through the state on road trips usually during off-peak times.

My question is:

For those of you who live and commute in northern and/or central NJ (either within the state or to NYC), and have lived in/visited other major metro areas, how does the traffic/gridlock/rush hours compare to other major metro areas with notorious traffic problems (i.e. Los Angles metro area, the DC/NOVA/MD area, Chicago, Atlanta etc.) ?

I have always assumed it is not as bad as it could be given that public transportation to the city is extensive and well-used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 03:08 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,188,047 times
I have been to LA, DC, NOVA during rush hours

So let me tell, NNJ, and CNJ has worse traffic

Our traffic actually covers a larger area

LA, DC, NOVA does not have our density, there highways may be as bad, but their local streets are fine for the most part

Old 06-28-2008, 09:13 PM

195 posts, read 571,538 times
I've been to Los Angeles and I live in Bergen County.
I think that it's 60/50. Well, LA has more cars than people in NJ.
But people often says that LA has worse traffic during rush hour.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:21 PM

1,476 posts, read 3,348,351 times
Minority opinion here, but I respectfully disagree. LA and DC are worse than North and Central New Jersey ... unless compared with commuting daily by car from NJ into NYC. That's simply madness! On the whole, I'd rather deal with New Jersey traffic than LA or DC.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:36 PM

542 posts, read 1,502,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Minority opinion here, but I respectfully disagree. LA and DC are worse than North and Central New Jersey ... unless compared with commuting daily by car from NJ into NYC. That's simply madness! On the whole, I'd rather deal with New Jersey traffic than LA or DC.
I think your assessment seems reasonable - I always felt that the LA area, having visited has the worst traffic gridlock on highways by far in the U.S. DC is probably comparable to NNJ.

NYC street and highway and tunnel/bridge traffic are nightmares of course, but that is not something I'd be dealing with regularly living and working on the NJ side.....

Old 06-30-2008, 10:25 AM

5,706 posts, read 12,815,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
I would have to agree with you MaverickDD.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:53 AM

10,425 posts, read 43,509,537 times
Hard to compare. But we as impatient humans should make the comparisons in measures of time not volume. Some states build roads to handle volume. NJ does not. But dont frett. NJs neighbor Pennsylvania has the most antiquated functionally obsolete roads in America.

Southern California has more people then NJ but more spread out and by leaps and bounds have the highway infrastructure to carry the volume of cars that NJ can not. Granted California is broke and all their roads and bridges are disintegrating and deteriorating at a rapid rate but they can still carry far far more volume then NJs roads. Just a tad more bumpier.

After you leave NJ highways you are on one lane Horse and buggy roads. Most of them have no turning lanes and many dont even have shoulders. In California most of the secondary roads or commerce roads are multi lane with center turn lanes and right deceleration and acceleration lanes.

If you know some secrets about Cali drivers you can do just fine there. Lets take I-5. 8 lanes wide in each direction in most areas. But everyone piles up in the left lane. I have driven I-5 in the heart of rush hour. The left lane is dead stopped. The next to left lane is barely creeping. With each lane closer to the right lane the traffic is moving faster. The far right lane is empty. Void of any cars. It is against California custom to use the right lane. So Im in the right lane doing 80 and looking at all the fools in the left lane punching the steering wheel in frustration.

Then you have other types of traffic jams. In Las Vegas which is world famous for their unsynchronized lights. Here you have not as many cars but they pile up at each light for miles. Personally I believe Vegas is worse then Cali when measuring time of commute but not because of volume.

Lets talk speed. California drivers are the fastest in America. Fast does not necessarily better drivers but I will give them credit for being more skilled. In NJ, other then the TPK or PKY and maybe 80, few even do the speed limit.

There are worse and better commutes but this thread was comparing NJ to CA so I left it at that.

Carry on.........................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or