U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2009, 02:49 PM

630 posts, read 1,092,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
LMAO! Are you serious? Did the sight of black kids walking around have you asking the question?
Are you asking ME this? If so, I ask this not because most were black people. I ask because there are housing projects on the maplewood/newark border, squad cars in pursuit or present when I drive around here and very disorderly people walking in the street It had nothing to do with skin color and the reason I posted this thread is because the thought of the crime being so close to maplewood/south orange is troubling and for somebody to deny gang presence in some areas of maplewood or south orange is not a truthful response.
(I live in West orange btw) I am in SO often and have a friend who lives on ward place near SHU. She has gotten her car stolen twice in the past 2 yrs and my car's window was smashed in front of her home.
As for gangs being present; gang taggings of a crown and some numbers at maplecrest park, ''crip rule'' wall on irvington avenue near Ivy hill complexes. Also there was a shooting in SO in 2006. The shooter? A bloods gang member. SO/MLPW are overall great towns. My point is that crime overall can be blamed 80 percent of the time on newark and irvington as the borders.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 03:48 PM

825 posts, read 2,763,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
Are you asking ME this? If so, I ask this not because most were black people. I ask because there are housing projects on the maplewood/newark border, squad cars in pursuit or present when I drive around here and very disorderly people walking in the street It had nothing to do with skin color and the reason I posted this thread is because the thought of the crime being so close to maplewood/south orange is troubling and for somebody to deny gang presence in some areas of maplewood or south orange is not a truthful response.
(I live in West orange btw) I am in SO often and have a friend who lives on ward place near SHU. She has gotten her car stolen twice in the past 2 yrs and my car's window was smashed in front of her home.
As for gangs being present; gang taggings of a crown and some numbers at maplecrest park, ''crip rule'' wall on irvington avenue near Ivy hill complexes. Also there was a shooting in SO in 2006. The shooter? A bloods gang member. SO/MLPW are overall great towns. My point is that crime overall can be blamed 80 percent of the time on newark and irvington as the borders.
you mentioned Ward Pl near SHU. When I was going to visit SHU, I checked Google Maps Street View to get an idea of what the campus looks like and I did manage to find this:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r186/STrapani1105/soshugate.jpg (broken link)^that may just be an ordinary traffic stop. i don't know, but two cars are involved. notice the door of the sedan is open, so clearly both cars are involved and the cop is getting something from the trunk of his squad car. this image is on google street view. it's on Ward Place right outside of the SHU gate.

you also mentioned the Ivy Hill Housing projects, which are in Newark not South Orange, they are however very close (almost adjacent) to the SHU campus. here is what they look like:
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r186/STrapani1105/southorangeroad.jpg (broken link)
^ i blurred out the address and street name in order to keep the precise location of these homes hidden. i wouldn't want the residents of this South Orange neighborhood to have "unexpected visitors". It's just a safety thing, but as you can see the housing projects are in the back there. They say don't judge a book by it's cover, but I'm not gonna lie... those housing projects don't look very promising...

Since I was not present at the moment of the traffic stop, nor was I ever in the area next to those projects, I can't give an accurate statement on what exactly was going on with the cop, or what it's like over at that housing project. I have no idea whether or not their is gang activity, or whether the Ivy Hill projects are crime-ridden. Let me tell you, they certainly look like they are, but I can't say that they are for sure. I'm not taking a side, I'm just showing you pictures of the places that the OP has mentioned. Make your own conclusions...

Old 03-18-2009, 05:10 PM

2,312 posts, read 6,517,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
So, Midwestern, it seems like you have already answered the question yourself. But I have a question for you--if you already knew the answer why would you post such a leading thread title if your original intent wasn't simply to bash Maplewood and South Orange?

Old 03-19-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
So, Midwestern, it seems like you have already answered the question yourself. But I have a question for you--if you already knew the answer why would you post such a leading thread title if your original intent wasn't simply to bash Maplewood and South Orange?
I'm really not sure...I mainly was interested in people's responses because it's an issue that isn't paid much attention to in these community.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:10 PM

2,312 posts, read 6,517,224 times
So you're an investigative reporter?

Old 03-24-2009, 03:03 PM

No I'm not, I did consider being one many years ago

Old 03-24-2009, 03:17 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,412,623 times
Maybe not such a good idea. Hope you have a day job.

Anyone can get streetview google earth and showing a police cruiser and stopped cars does not illustrate anything. You obviously know nothing about any of those areas and are posting and pasting things you have found online.
Wouldn't it be better to start a real discussion?

Old 03-24-2009, 04:28 PM

825 posts, read 2,763,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
Maybe not such a good idea. Hope you have a day job.

Anyone can get streetview google earth and showing a police cruiser and stopped cars does not illustrate anything. You obviously know nothing about any of those areas and are posting and pasting things you have found online.
Wouldn't it be better to start a real discussion?
Well you obviously didn't read my post. I was just stating what was there. I didn't take a side of the argument. From my experience, South Orange is a fine town with absolutely no gang activity. It's got nice nieghborhoods, and some not so nice, but the downtown area is great. I just happened to see that on Google Maps when I was trying to get an idea of what the SHU campus looked like, because I was going to visit there. I just happened to see that traffic stop, it had two cars involved. Whether or not it was an ordinary traffic stop, I don't know. But the fact that they're are two cars involved and the police officer is getting something from his trunk arises suspicion in me. It could be something simple like, maybe he's just getting out a safety cone. I don't know. I didn't make any conclusions from the picture, so I don't know what you're deal is telling me I "obviously know don't know anything about those areas"

If I see anything weird when I go and check out the campus. I'll let you know, then we can have a real discusion just like you wanted. peace cyntmac.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:06 PM

587 posts, read 1,904,282 times
that trafiic stop is right around the block from Cluck U. Ivy hill brownstones is not an ideal place to live. I have 2 friends working for SOPD and they will tell you that SO is not what it use to be. S.O is very large in area so not all of S.O is bad however the bad areas are expanding outwards.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:54 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,412,623 times
Uh, no thanks. If you wanted to discuss you would discuss.
There are no points to be debated from google street shots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or