Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2008, 05:53 PM

5 posts, read 13,276 times

Advertisements

I am relocating from Southern California to NJ this summer and am having a really hard time narrowing down where to live.
My husband will be working in Parsippany, which we can not afford. We looked on line at decent home in Byram or Andover, one near Hopatcong and another in Newton. I looked up school info and the stats looked great but then someone said Hopatcong schools are awful. In the fall I will have a 2nd grader, a 6th grader and a two year old. We know we will have to ocmmute to Parsippany.
I am looking for a nice town with great schools and homes available under $350k. We looked as far out as Wantage too.
Please help! schools are my highest priority in the search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 06:25 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,542,163 times
Hackettstown area.. or even Blairstown. Parsippany isn't a bad commute from here. I live in Frelinghuysen. Thses towns are all in Warren County and much less expensive than Morris County and closer to civilization than Sussex County is : ) go to gsmls.com Warren County and stick with Allamuchy, Blairstown, Independence, Frelinghuysen, Hackettstown and Mansfield... Mansfield may be a great choice for you. Very inexpensive and close to everything.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:53 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,902,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleak View Post
I am relocating from Southern California to NJ this summer and am having a really hard time narrowing down where to live.
My husband will be working in Parsippany, which we can not afford. We looked on line at decent home in Byram or Andover, one near Hopatcong and another in Newton. I looked up school info and the stats looked great but then someone said Hopatcong schools are awful. In the fall I will have a 2nd grader, a 6th grader and a two year old. We know we will have to ocmmute to Parsippany.
I am looking for a nice town with great schools and homes available under $350k. We looked as far out as Wantage too.
If schools are your highest priority you can get something easily in Parsippany for under $350k. It just won't be the greatest house. However, Parsippany isn't my favorite school district in the area. You should take a look at Long Valley, Randolph and Denville (I would rank the schools in that order).

Hopatcong schools should be avoided if at all possible.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:16 PM

45 posts, read 133,091 times
Out of the ones you mentioned I would only choose Byram. Byram has a great school system! It's a very nice town to raise a family in! I use to teach in Byram. You may also want to check out Stanhope. It's the town next to Byram. I have kids in the school system and are very happy with it. It's a very small town. Both Byram, Stanhope and also Netcong send to the same HS, Lenape Valley. Stanhope has city water and sewers. Byram does not. I think you would be happy in either town! If you would like to DM me feel free.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:20 PM

5 posts, read 13,276 times
I am reading all these replys and going through the maps and gsmls.com as well as realtor.com.
I feel so stressed because we had been plannig for months to move to MI and that was changed after we sold our home last week here in CA. I am also so spoiled with an above excellent school here.
we need to be prepared too, if there is a job change later on and hubby ends up commuting to NYC.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:23 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,409,175 times
Quote:
Michelle, my wife is originally from southern Cal, Huntington Beach and I'm sure she would tell you that Newton, Andover Township (not Andover Borough) Sparta in Sussex county are very desirable areas, Hackettstown, Mansfield - Port Murray, Blairstown, Freylinghusen (sp) Allamuchy in North Warren county are also in my top 10 towns in this area. I already posted my opinion on Newton schools on your other thread.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:42 AM

45 posts, read 133,091 times
If he ends up having to go to NY, there is a train station in Netcong. It is a long commute but can take the train from there.

Last edited by dancemomnj; 04-25-2008 at 07:55 AM..

Old 04-25-2008, 06:42 AM

36 posts, read 172,147 times
Default Budd Lake

look in Budd Lake. homes prices are above 400k but schools are very good. Chester M Stevens is only one schools who has Geograhpy bee other programs in the towns.

I commute to Denville (on route 46) it is about 20 to 30 min in the morrning if you leave 6.30 AM.

Country Oaks neighbourhood has new single family homes in the area and schools are Mount Olive Township.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:48 PM

58 posts, read 171,628 times
Hopatcong schools are not that bad..

Of course it depends on the teacher..I am not happy with one of my daughter' teacher..but the others are/were ecxellent..They do have e lot of activities..I can not keep up with them...

The homes are newer, around 1974 all....with 300-400 you can find a nice house..even lakefront..
Sparta is very good too..Newton is a real city..
We decided Hopatcong because is closer to RT 80.. With Sparta or Newton that means 12 miles more..
I couldn't live in Parsippany..

Old 07-18-2008, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,410 times
Quote:
i myself went to school in wantage. Your second grader would go to the Lawrence School. It is a fairly new school and has a good staff, and nice students. Your sixth grader would attend Sussex Middle School. This school is much older (built in the early 1930's) but has recently had a new roof put on and has had many recent additions. This school also has many good teachers. They range from brand new teachers to one's who have taught there for 20+ years. When your 2nd grader becomes a third grader they will attend Wantage School. This school is also old (also built in the 30's) but is has a fairly new wing. All the schools in the district have great teachers and are in fairly good condition. When your children go to high school they will attend High Point Regional High School. This is a great school and has an award winning engineering department.
as for homes under $350k. my home was recently reassessed for $325k. it has 3 bedrooms and 2 baths and around 2500 sq. ft. It is also on 1.5 acres. as you can see you can get a lot for your money.
yes you will have to commute far but you'll get to live in a nice rural area with rolling hills and many farms. i know that it is nice to know that the produce you buy is from the town you live in. i believe that it takes between 1 and 1 1/2 hours to get to parsippany from northern wantage. this depends on if you are a law abbiding citizen and how much traffic there is.
well i hope that this helped
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey