U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 01:10 PM

29 posts, read 65,709 times
wow jersey james, are you having a bad day or something?
anyway, I just wanted to see what people thought of randolph? Is it a nice place to raise a family? Is it safe? Reasonable house prices? Would you want to move/live there? Thank you Ellwood. You managed to answer my post...I guess it wasn't so broad of a question after all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 02:07 PM

10,425 posts, read 43,516,050 times
I also agree that Dover is a dump. Mount Olive is nice but taxes are higher but everyplace in NJ is higher. The closer you get to Parsippany the more congested you will get. The 287 corridor should be avoided at any cost in the Morristown area if you need to commute. It is real real real bad. From Randolph you will find 10 an easier commute then 80, at least it moves. I dont know too much about the good and bad living in Randolph.

There are still some inexpensive tiny homes in Denville. Indian lake area still has 2 bedroom 800 SF bungalows for $500K.

I think you said $550K. While that is a great big number it does not buy much in Morris County and even less in Bergen or Essex which are even more congested then Morris.

Is Budd Lake too far west? When Mount Olive is mentioned many think of Flanders. Up on the mountain, I think it is up Flanders-Netcong Rd there are lots of way under $550K homes. Some really nice ones on larger then postage stamp lots.

Would you consider Hopatcong? It's Sussex but you can get a lot more house for your money.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:13 PM

3,269 posts, read 8,722,377 times
Randolph is ok. High school has declined in the last few years. Large methadone clinic next to the dmv. The parts that border Dover aren't the greatest. That said, people love it and love to raise their kids there and there are some really great houses. For $550k I would chose a small house in Madison, Mountain Lakes or Chester before I picked Randolph. Depends what is most important to you...schools, land, large house, taxes, etc...

Old 06-29-2008, 06:32 PM

5,617 posts, read 13,389,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Randolph is ok. High school has declined in the last few years. Large methadone clinic next to the dmv. The parts that border Dover aren't the greatest. That said, people love it and love to raise their kids there and there are some really great houses. For $550k I would chose a small house in Madison, Mountain Lakes or Chester before I picked Randolph. Depends what is most important to you...schools, land, large house, taxes, etc...
right on!!!! Me too! The more I drive around Chester,the more I fall in love!!!! I am ready to dream and upgrade in 10 years. Saving all my money and one day !!! You are right

Old 06-29-2008, 06:35 PM

12,284 posts, read 30,939,609 times
caliegirl, where will you be working? also, what are your most important criteria - size of house, land, near work, etc etc - that will help in zeroing in on the right place.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:32 PM

607 posts, read 779,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
550k will go a long way in Riverdale.
Sections to avoid include 'parts' of Morristown, Boonton, Lincoln Pk. and Parsippany.
What "parts" and why?

There are a number of nice locations in Lincoln Park at $550K and less...

..and in anticipation of your reply - not in a flood zone of any kind.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:34 AM

45 posts, read 90,365 times
In Morris county.....

Although they are nice areas, $550,000 will buy you a very small house in areas like Chester, Mendham, Chatham......... if you are fortunate enough to find one. The taxes in those places are super high too!

You could probably get a nice size older home in parts of Randolph, Long Valley, Washington Township, Morris Plains, or Madison areas. All of which are really nice areas with good school systems.

elljay

quote=caliegirl;4268087]moving to north jersey, looking at morris county. What areas to avoid? looking for a home in the 550k range. Any advice would be wonderful![/quote]

Old 06-30-2008, 10:21 AM

5,706 posts, read 12,818,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliegirl View Post
wow jersey james, are you having a bad day or something?
anyway, I just wanted to see what people thought of randolph? Is it a nice place to raise a family? Is it safe? Reasonable house prices? Would you want to move/live there? Thank you Ellwood. You managed to answer my post...I guess it wasn't so broad of a question after all...
You're welcome Caliegirl. Randolph is a very nice area and a safe place to raise a family.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:19 PM

16 posts, read 41,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I also agree that Dover is a dump. Mount Olive is nice but taxes are higher but everyplace in NJ is higher. The closer you get to Parsippany the more congested you will get. The 287 corridor should be avoided at any cost in the Morristown area if you need to commute. It is real real real bad. From Randolph you will find 10 an easier commute then 80, at least it moves. I dont know too much about the good and bad living in Randolph.

There are still some inexpensive tiny homes in Denville. Indian lake area still has 2 bedroom 800 SF bungalows for $500K.

I think you said $550K. While that is a great big number it does not buy much in Morris County and even less in Bergen or Essex which are even more congested then Morris.

Is Budd Lake too far west? When Mount Olive is mentioned many think of Flanders. Up on the mountain, I think it is up Flanders-Netcong Rd there are lots of way under $550K homes. Some really nice ones on larger then postage stamp lots.

Would you consider Hopatcong? It's Sussex but you can get a lot more house for your money.
You're quite right about Mt. Olive. I live in Flanders and my taxes are ridiculously high. You can probably find nice houses in the $550K, but be prepared for sky-high taxes and crappy commutes.

I grew up in Mendham (Brookside, actually) and love the area, but it's way too expensive. Not many homes in the $550K range.

Randolph is nice, though it's pretty spread out. The Shongum Lake area is particularly nice.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:24 PM

36 posts, read 144,957 times
Default Morris County

Whippany is an adorable town, lower taxes, low crime and good schools. My sister lives there with her family. She is close to all shopping and highways, but you feel like you're in the country. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or