U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 11:39 AM

7,965 posts, read 16,791,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Northwestern NJ is not "that" rural. Just came back from a weekend out visiting BF's brother. Harrisville, PA about an hour and a half north of Pittsburgh. There is nothing out there!! 3/4 of the population lives in trailers. Even people that have 100 acre farms with 5 or 6 barns on them live in single and double wides.
I've mentioned this before but it bears repeating. I remember thinking Allamuchy NJ was 'the country' back when I was 13, visiting a friend who recently relocated there that entire summer, digging for mussels in the Pequest.

Then I started traveling outside NJ. I realized places like central PA are much more rural, and much poorer than what we consider in NJ. These places are formulated around extraction or agricultural industries, and are going to have an economy that essentially does not pay wages the likes people in NJ are used to. I began to make these conclusions in my late 20s.

Then, I traveled through the mountain states. That's when things really become different, much different than even the rural south, Apppalchia or the rural midwest. For at least in these places, the lack mostly of terrain that obstructs settlements allows for some sort of continuity between towns/areas.

Then I moved to New Mexico. No one who has spent their entire lives in NJ can even begin to ponder the enormity of the area where I live now. I will attach this picture for instance:

I can see this area clearly from my backyard, which here is considered a pretty built up residential area.

This is where I work:

You can imagine my 'commute'. The mountains in the background are the Sacramento Mountains. The mountains where this picture was taken are the Organ Mountains. They are 80 miles apart. That's right, you are essentially looking at NJ here from the Delaware Water Gap, and able to see the GW Bridge in the background. Instead, you see NOTHING.

This is about only 10 miles from my house. I live in the second largest settlement in the entire state. What you are looking at here therefore is in close proximity to a major settlement. When you leave the area here, you can see entire areas that are wider east to west than the entire state of NJ, and it looks like you can reach right out and touch it.

I guess the reason for this post is to dispel Warren or Western Morris County as being rural places, relative to the rest of the country. They aren't. They are suburban areas of New York City. Very desirable ones too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 12:13 PM

12,945 posts, read 24,083,057 times
Default Hey Wiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
"Green Acres is the place to be...farm livin' is the life for me...lalalalal (can't remember the rest of the lyrics)" do do da doop doop.
To keep it about Morris County, there are few remote places left..you can't even get lost in the state parks

Now...question for ya..I could more then likely search for answer but thought you may know
next summer want to go to Northern Ireland....would like to pop over to Scotland for the Tatoo...what month is it usually held

Old 07-02-2008, 12:30 PM

6,487 posts, read 9,820,781 times
Quote:

Then I started traveling outside NJ. I realized places like central PA are much more rural, and much poorer than what we consider in NJ. These places are formulated around extraction or agricultural industries, and are going to have an economy that essentially does not pay wages the likes people in NJ are used to. I began to make these conclusions in my late 20s.

Read the classifieds while out is Harrisville, PA...2 BR, 5 room apartment with garage, including utitlities $375 mo.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:33 PM

7,965 posts, read 16,791,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Read the classifieds while out is Harrisville, PA...2 BR, 5 room apartment with garage, including utitlities $375 mo.
I know Calico. My mom bought a luxury condo here in Las Cruces NM, loaded with everything, and she is asking 550 a month. It's a different world.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:37 PM

13,320 posts, read 19,675,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliegirl View Post
wow jersey james, are you having a bad day or something?
anyway, I just wanted to see what people thought of randolph? Is it a nice place to raise a family? Is it safe? Reasonable house prices? Would you want to move/live there? Thank you Ellwood. You managed to answer my post...I guess it wasn't so broad of a question after all...
Everyone has always liked Randolph........Its good location, its schools.......Roxbury Twsp as well. I think it is a great location to move too...........You seem to be zeroing in very well........
PS I lived not far from there for many years.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:59 PM

7,577 posts, read 19,987,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
To keep it about Morris County, there are few remote places left..you can't even get lost in the state parks

Now...question for ya..I could more then likely search for answer but thought you may know
next summer want to go to Northern Ireland....would like to pop over to Scotland for the Tatoo...what month is it usually held

August thru September... if you need a nice B&B, let me know - my partner's brother just bought a nice B&B / Pub : )

Old 07-02-2008, 01:04 PM

12,945 posts, read 24,083,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
[/b]

August thru September... if you need a nice B&B, let me know - my partner's brother just bought a nice B&B / Pub : )
I most certainly will..like I said though next year 2009
Need time to plan an over seas trip

Have you ever been to a Tatoo?

Old 07-02-2008, 03:08 PM

50 posts, read 158,908 times
Sorry for being snippy/sarcastic. That is my NJ bloodline.

What I meant was I have a LOT of info on Randolph and can pretty much answer anything you ask specifically.Moved there with my family in 1975(they still live there) and I still do work there. I have many friends who live in and work for the town.

So anything from school, parks, politics, taxes, restaurants,churches, etc. can be answered.............. of course in a smart azz NJ kind of way

Old 07-02-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I most certainly will..like I said though next year 2009
Need time to plan an over seas trip

Have you ever been to a Tatoo?
I've been to Edinburgh many times but I've never been there during the festival - it's on my "Bucket List" : ) My partner's Dad is here visiting and he says that you have to order tickets as soon as they go on sale as they tend to sell out in 3 days!!! Might I recommend the underground haunted tour as well. I haven't done that yet either - tickets are typically sold out for at least a year : ( Hey...maybe we'll meet you there! I do know where all the good pubs are ; ) Oh and one more thing... no illegal latinos - too far a walk or swim for them to cross the border : ) Their issue is the Polish Illegals!!! See..it's everywhere!

Old 07-02-2008, 07:34 PM

NJKate - here's a link for the haunted torus : )) Ghost Tours and Walking Tours in Edinburgh, Scotland. Welcome to Mercat Tours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or