U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 12:01 PM

88 posts, read 479,619 times

Advertisements

I don't think Paterson will ever be like Williamsburg. Williamsburg was never as bad as Paterson is. Williamsburg is an orthodox jew hub where Paterson is certaintly not, at least not since 1950. Not too mention Paterson is outrageously industrial and ugly as ****. Sorry, I said it....it's true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 02:44 PM

1,990 posts, read 6,839,531 times
^^^ wanna walk around Williamsburg, especially around the Bed-Stuy/ Bushwick border?

Old 07-09-2008, 05:56 AM

37 posts, read 218,543 times
Jersey201973, no offense, but it doesn't seem that you know much about Paterson or Williamsburg.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:11 PM

5 posts, read 22,947 times
I just went to look at those condos. They are really nice, but I don't know about $140K. That is probably for a studio. I could be wrong though. A fair amount have already been sold.

The building is only two blocks from the train, which is great. Right accross from a college, which could be good or bad depending on how you feel about college kids. Though the neighborhood going up Broadway does have a lot to be desired. But I understand that NJ Transit is scheduled to begin work on the Passaic/Bergen light rail with a stop in the area either this year or next. There will be five or so total in Paterson. According to what was said at the last town meeting the city will see a lot of economic growth and hopefully some eminent domain in the areas around the transit stops.

Also, going up the street in the other direction some other condos are going up and there is also talk of a microbrewery and climbing wall going up at some point. Paterson is no Williamsburg but with the Great Falls turning into a National Park, it might be something better...

A lot of big developers are putting money into the city.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:13 PM

5 posts, read 22,947 times
Default Clarification

Actually, I should clarify, the condos about which I am speaking are Silk City Lofts in downtown Paterson. They are on Broadway. Are those the ones to which you are referring?

Old 08-14-2008, 06:43 PM

36 posts, read 135,902 times
The price is good for a reason.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:16 PM

1,990 posts, read 6,839,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsyi View Post
Actually, I should clarify, the condos about which I am speaking are Silk City Lofts in downtown Paterson. They are on Broadway. Are those the ones to which you are referring?
The one on Broadway isn't open yet ( I think) I know they are doing some renovation in one mill close to 16th Ave. Also, another one on I believe Straight St. Most of the mills are close to the falls around Market St. It is about a half mile from the train station and is located close the the Peruvian section of Downtown ( some call it " Little Lima")

Old 08-18-2008, 11:23 AM

7 posts, read 25,249 times
Default i AGREE WITH RESPOND BELOW

I was rased in paterson and got out as soon as i could. The place is very very dangerous...lots of gang activity, drugs the works. The streets look rundown and i dont forsee it getting better anytime soon. Property values are very low not only because of the bad economy, but because the place is full of residents who live out of welfare and section 8. Try somewhere else, anyone can do better than paterson. You will regret it. Hope this helps in your decision.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:35 PM

5 posts, read 44,168 times
I lived in Paterson for over 30+ years and, thank God, I have never had a bad experience. Folks that have had bad experiences were most likely over here for the wrong experiences (drugs, gangs, etc.). Unfortunately, Paterson has a bad name and reputation and quite frankly, I don't know how, when this can change.
I recently purchased a condo in East Orange. Yep....and I have to say, it is beautful. When I walk outside, there is no trash, no one hanging out, and people actually take care of what they have. There is Main Street where there are more stores than what Downtown Paterson has (electronic stores)....I will actually shop in the town that I live in! There is also accessibility to Bloomfield, Montclair...etc.
I wouldn't purchase a condo in Paterson. Some are overpriced, and the ones that are reasonably priced, have interesting characters hanging out in the night....and property taxes, they are ridiculous. Before we can see major changes in Paterson, this town has to bring in big businesses, theatres, etc. What difference does a train line make, if there is no place to go to?

Old 08-19-2008, 02:48 PM

5 posts, read 44,168 times
Default Alot of talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsyi View Post
I just went to look at those condos. They are really nice, but I don't know about $140K. That is probably for a studio. I could be wrong though. A fair amount have already been sold.

The building is only two blocks from the train, which is great. Right accross from a college, which could be good or bad depending on how you feel about college kids. Though the neighborhood going up Broadway does have a lot to be desired. But I understand that NJ Transit is scheduled to begin work on the Passaic/Bergen light rail with a stop in the area either this year or next. There will be five or so total in Paterson. According to what was said at the last town meeting the city will see a lot of economic growth and hopefully some eminent domain in the areas around the transit stops.

Also, going up the street in the other direction some other condos are going up and there is also talk of a microbrewery and climbing wall going up at some point. Paterson is no Williamsburg but with the Great Falls turning into a National Park, it might be something better...

A lot of big developers are putting money into the city.

I lived in Paterson for over 30+ years , and I really hope Paterson can follow through. There is alooooot of talk in this city, and little action. Alot of developers are putting money into the city and to keep things positive, I hope all goes well. However, until Paterson lure in some major businesses, and build a theatre, to create a community where people can shop and hang out, I think purchasing those condos is very risky . I myself recently purchased a condo in East Orange because I see changes, in Paterson, they tend to drag there feet and get nothing accomplished....and folks mentality is mind boggling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey