U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2008, 11:31 AM
jlx jlx started this thread

17 posts, read 67,459 times

Advertisements

Any advice appreciated. Family member considering a move to DE active adult community to save on taxes and live in a more senior friendly home. Would like them to consider staying in southern NJ community to be closer to family. It seems like the tax savings will be eaten up by the cost of gas used returning to NJ to visit. They are looking at a max 250-300,000 for a 2bed 2bath 2car garage detached one floor home. Anyone out there know about these communities in monmouth/ocean counties vs. Kent or Sussex county in DE? Are all 55+ communities exempt from school taxes? How's the monthly maintenance fee compare? What are the benefits/drawbacks to the land-lease properties which seem to be prevalent in De? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 12:08 PM

9,124 posts, read 32,094,329 times
The communities in NJ are all over the place price-wise, tax-wise, and maintenance fee-wise. My mother lives in Holiday City in Toms River and the homes there are generally under $250k, the taxes are under $2k/year, and the maintenance fee is $25/month. By comparison, we know several people in Rossmoor in Monroe, and you can easily drop $500k there, pay $5k/year in taxes, and spend $300/month for maintenance. So, it's possible to retire inexpensively in NJ, provided you look in the right places and don't need a brand new 2,000sf house. I can't speak for DE, but I can't imagine it being much cheaper than going into Holiday City.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:50 AM

14 posts, read 46,903 times
We've been living in Delaware for about 8 years now and originally from NJ. New Brunswick area, (and Bob I see your last name is also Hungarian... mine is Takacs). We love it down here. I'm in my fifties and we live in a regular community in Dover, DE area but my mom and dad did the Brick/Toms River retirement thing before they passed. They paid around 300K about 10 years ago, had I think it was 4000 a year in taxes. There's a number of 55+ communities in DE, some have lot leases, some you own the land outright. But just to give you an idea, one 55+ community I'm familiar with is called the Woods at Longacre Village, on Rt 13 about 7 miles south of Dover. You can get an 1800 sq ft ranch for about 270K, monthly maintenance is $130, taxes--a year--is about $1100, you own the land and there's a tax break on school taxes for over 65. No sales tax in DE, traffic is wonderfully light compared to Jersey, people are so nice. It's been great for us. DM me anytime with questions from one NJ refugee to another.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 8,421 times
Default DEL vs NJ

Del has some great buys in active adult communities with lower taxes-One of the people talks about Holiday City-old .old old!!!!!! New communities in Del are about 50-75K less than comparable in Nj taxes are less than half-check out Legacy in Townsend, Del then check out Greenbriar in Waretown -both very nice and new but the homes are bigger cheaper and taxes are 2K vs 5500 ,oh by the way you own the land

Old 08-24-2008, 12:40 PM

3 posts, read 21,828 times
Smile Information on 55+ AA Communities in Del - Any near the Ocean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT in DE View Post
We've been living in Delaware for about 8 years now and originally from NJ. New Brunswick area, (and Bob I see your last name is also Hungarian... mine is Takacs). We love it down here. I'm in my fifties and we live in a regular community in Dover, DE area but my mom and dad did the Brick/Toms River retirement thing before they passed. They paid around 300K about 10 years ago, had I think it was 4000 a year in taxes. There's a number of 55+ communities in DE, some have lot leases, some you own the land outright. But just to give you an idea, one 55+ community I'm familiar with is called the Woods at Longacre Village, on Rt 13 about 7 miles south of Dover. You can get an 1800 sq ft ranch for about 270K, monthly maintenance is $130, taxes--a year--is about $1100, you own the land and there's a tax break on school taxes for over 65. No sales tax in DE, traffic is wonderfully light compared to Jersey, people are so nice. It's been great for us. DM me anytime with questions from one NJ refugee to another.
Good Afternoon JT,
This is our dilemma, NJ vs Del. We are just starting our search since
we plan to retire next year. NJ is nice but to expensive.
We would like a 55+AA Community near the ocean. Do you know if
there is one and do you a realtor that would know these area?
We have this week off and would like to travel down and check out the area so if you have any suggestions, that would be great!
Thank you,
SKovacsM

Old 08-24-2008, 12:44 PM

3 posts, read 21,828 times
Good Afternoon JT,
This is our dilemma, NJ vs Del. We are just starting our search since
we plan to retire next year. NJ is nice but to expensive.
We would like a 55+AA Community near the ocean. Do you know if
there is one and do you a realtor that would know these area?
We have this week off and would like to travel down and check out the area so if you have any suggestions, that would be great!
Thank you,
SKovacsM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or