U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 09:11 AM

9,124 posts, read 33,850,552 times

Advertisements

First off, I never "judged" you- I simply made a point that you'd been bashing NJ, and noted that if you found it so horrible here, you should pack up and see how things are on the other side of the fence. I guess you took that the wrong way.

Regarding Atlanta, I didn't go looking for a move- my company asked me if I'd go there to run their office there, and I went to look around. Upon returning, I found it wasn't worth it (nor was a more recent opportunity to do the same thing in Charlotte, or Phoenix in 2004).

The reason I've been commenting on people bad-mouthing NJ and talking about other areas as if they were utopia is because I've been there and done that, and know that it's not always the case. I moved from NJ to Las Vegas in 1994, and moved back in 1999. What had happened to LV in those five years (and continues to happen)- major tax increases, school system problems, overcrowding, home price spikes, etc.- will happen in many of these other "hot spots" as well- it's just a matter of "when", not "if".

So, if you want to move, go ahead and move. Seems you're the one who's more of the crab dragging everyone back to the bottom of the bucket with your bad attitude about NJ. There's over 7 million people living here, and more coming all the time, so it's gotta have some redeeming characteristics.

Best of luck in NC,

Bob
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 09:39 AM

59 posts, read 263,111 times
Question moving to NJ

Appreciate the response from Christina. Quick followup:

What are the approximate prices that a nice townhome or small single family home would cost per month for rent in:

East Windsor
Hamilton/Robbinsville
Hopewell/W Windsor/Princeton

also, what do you know about:

Hillsborough
Plainfield
East Brunswick

Additionally when commuting north to the New Brunswick/Somerset area in the morning (leaving about 7am): what is the best route: route 1 vs route 130 vs NJ turnpike vs internal roads.

thanks again.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:05 PM

6,046 posts, read 22,460,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool-breeze View Post
Appreciate the response from Christina. Quick followup:

What are the approximate prices that a nice townhome or small single family home would cost per month for rent in:

East Windsor
Hamilton/Robbinsville
Hopewell/W Windsor/Princeton

also, what do you know about:

Hillsborough
Plainfield
East Brunswick

Additionally when commuting north to the New Brunswick/Somerset area in the morning (leaving about 7am): what is the best route: route 1 vs route 130 vs NJ turnpike vs internal roads.

thanks again.
I would say a townhome/small single family home, to rent, could cost anywhere from $1100 - $2000, depending on the town. If you look at the order you listed the towns in, that would be the order of average pricing, lowest to highest.

Unfortunately I do not know much about Hillsborough, Plainfield, or East Brunswick, except that they are not a far drive from Mercer County.

Route 1 is terrible, especially northbound in the AM/southbound in the PM...Rt. 130 has quite a few traffic lights but they are mostly spread out, the speed limit is 55 mph, and of these choices, would be my favorite. The NJ Turnpike is hit or miss (no pun intended). It is the most direct route often, but if there is a car accident it can snarl traffic for hours. Still, it's popular for so many commuters because you will get to your destination faster. I'm not as familiar with the county roads going from Mercer to Middlesex. In general, country roads in New Jersey are less traveled and a nicer drive, IMO. But it may not be the fastest way to work.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 8,423 times
East Brunswick is pretty nice. I grew up there and would recommend it. However, like Route 1, Route 18 is a nightmare in the morning and evening during rush hour. It can take you approximately 30 minutes to get across town via Route 18.

On a different note, does anyone have opinions or thoughts about Lawrenceville? My family is considering a move to either Princeton or Lawrenceville, but cannot decide between the two. We currently live in Northern NJ so already understand about the taxes, commuting, etc. We are looking for a town in Mercer with older homes, small town feel, etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Old 01-16-2007, 08:28 PM

2,891 posts, read 7,891,017 times
sscarabello- We rented in Lawrenceville before buying in West Windsor. Lawrenceville is a rather sprawling township so unless you live in the "village" you will not get much of a sense of "small town". The village has some lovely older homes but 206 runs right through it and traffic does back up. When we lived there, we lived less than an 1/8th of a mile from the WW border, when we moved over that border our car and content insurance went down rather dramatically. Our agent explained that part of Lawrenceville borders Trenton and , I guess, all of Trenton is considered a high risk area. I have never been comfortable in any part of Trenton.
I work in Princeton and, again, there is a notable difference between the "boro" and the township. The boro is quite contained and is home to the University. There are many older homes, single family and duplexes, in the boro as well as a few streets of opulent, historically relevant, estate homes. Most of the boro homes are within walking distance to the, truly quaint, downtown. Because of the downtown foot traffic, there is quite a comfortable sense of small town. Princeton also has the Dinky train, frequent service to the Princeton Jct station.
Hope this helps

Old 01-16-2007, 08:55 PM

185 posts, read 700,242 times
Smile South Brunswick Township is a good area

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool-breeze View Post
Moving to New Jersey and going to work in Somerset and New Brunswick. Married and have 2 young children, currently 1 & 3 (so school will not be important for a few years though am interested in Montisorri pre-schools). Planning to rent a townhome or single family home for 1 year before buying. My wife wants to look at the Princeton area for her work (business analyst) once we get settled in the area. Suggestions on where to look for rentals in this initial period? We want to wait to buy until we live in the area for a period of time. Thanks.
It is between Princeton and New Brunswick and you have a good choice of renting townhomes in the area. Monmouth Junction, Dayton, Deans are some choices. Good luck.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:06 PM

6,046 posts, read 22,460,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscarabello View Post
East Brunswick is pretty nice. I grew up there and would recommend it. However, like Route 1, Route 18 is a nightmare in the morning and evening during rush hour. It can take you approximately 30 minutes to get across town via Route 18.

On a different note, does anyone have opinions or thoughts about Lawrenceville? My family is considering a move to either Princeton or Lawrenceville, but cannot decide between the two. We currently live in Northern NJ so already understand about the taxes, commuting, etc. We are looking for a town in Mercer with older homes, small town feel, etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Lawrenceville is nice, except for the area immediately bordering Trenton. Trenton has a tendency to spill over into the surrounding townships, 1/2 - 1 mile into each.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:43 PM

1,393 posts, read 7,285,457 times
Christina re the spillover effect is correct. I moved outta Ewing about 20 + yrs ago due to the effect...as someone else said here...the further from Trenton you are the happier you'll be...

Old 01-16-2007, 10:19 PM

7,937 posts, read 18,529,602 times
Bob funny though because NC taxes have to Triple to catch up on Mine here in NJ, so I say no big deal....considering my dh will be making not much less he makes here and he is paid well...so with that, I just think people are very frustrated and aggrivated that the cost of living here has just gotten so out of control...and yes taxes will go up in all these POPULATED STATES, however its how the state DEALS WITH IT, NC in particular have a game plan for growth where NJ just doesnt care unless its GREASING SOMEONE POCKETS...and I have to honestly say and being a business person myself the influx of people coming INTO nj has declined tremendously..and there ARENT as many people coming in as they are leaving...so its great if your happy here and SOME people love it in NJ...I too would love to stay here but unfortunately we need to go for us it isnt just cost of living, its not wanting to sacrifice my children anymore not seeing their dad during the week and so on, let alone for us there are ALOT of opportunities for my hubby that just arent here in NY or NJ any longer with the salary that he should be earning, with that Im done with this topic as it is getting old, and nothing is going to change and you will have many difference of opinions...so we will be saying goodbye to NJ as my family is here....However I do feel that EVERYONE is entilted to their opinon right wrong or indifferent!!!!!!!

Old 01-17-2007, 06:23 PM

14 posts, read 52,486 times
NJ MOM i agree with you about the sad state of affairs in Jersey. My property taxes are 13,254 dollars can you believe that. I tell people that and they think im crazy. I wish I was paying about 10,000 less but it will not happen. So unfortunately I (we) are also moving to North Carolina. Do I want to leave no. But the politicians do not have a clue. I could get a house about the same footage and pay about 1,200 in taxes. Hopefully the grass is greener and I hope you , we, find something that we don't get robbed when we pay our property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey