U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 07:19 PM

1,110 posts, read 3,809,901 times

Advertisements

I wouldnt say I lived in a bad area at all. On the contrary, my street was one of the nicest in the entire area!! But...and this is a big butt.......Once you walk a few blocks either way, things change..big time...thats the rap on JC..nice one block..not so nice others..Now, I driven downtown, shopped downtown, etc..Its nice. Nicer than the Heights. But...and another big butt....Double, 3x the cost, definately less parking if not any, and alot more stuff going on. Honestly, I dont think its worth all that extra $$ at all. There are alot of better places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 08:33 PM

209 posts, read 1,552,296 times
Todd, were you in the Heights? I would definitely agree that the Heights can vary greatly from block to block.

What doesn't quite make sense is that you say downtown JC is too expensive but then recommend places like Hoboken and Weehawken that are even more expensive. And West New York varies in character, price, and in other ways from the Port Imperial area to the areas bordering Union City.

BTW, LOL at your mentions of "big butt". I guess there are a lot of fat asses in Jersey City.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:54 AM

2,705 posts, read 7,097,620 times
Todd, you say, "Once you walk a few blocks either way, things change..big time...thats the rap on JC..nice one block..not so nice others".

I have news for you, that's the "rap" in any city, across the world in fact. Move to another city to see for yourself. That's the nature of cities, buddy.

The Heights (any part of the Heights) is many times more dangerous than any part of Downtown these days.

If you had a bad experience of JC (and I think you made a very uneducated decision), that's fine...but Downtown JC is a great place for a lot of other people. Hence the population boom that has been occurring Downtown. SOME people must think it's a pretty cool place, no?

In your posts, you paint Jersey City with a broad brush, and that's just not very insightful on your part.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:54 AM

1,110 posts, read 3,809,901 times
I recommended hobo and weehawkin cause the original poster stated they wanted to look there instead. I know they are more expensive than jc downtown. Although, I dont think that much more. If you can afford JC downtown, i think you can also afford hobo as well. I rather choose those 2 instead of JC downtown.

As for tommyc, I dont think there are any 'educated' decisions when it comes to real estate. Can anyone have known the bottom would have dropped out of real estate as bad it is? I dont think so. When I moved to heights, I was told it was up and coming, prices are only going up, blah blah blah. Well, you know the ending to that story now. After living there for 2 years, I think that was the only true way I would have known was to actually live there and see how bad it really was.

Anyways, downtown JC is definately not all thats is cracked up to be. When living to JC, i rarerly ventured downtown as it was very hard to park, drive in by car. Newport mall was nothing to be inspired about as the type of crowd it attracts. Downtown JC is just a very small niche of JC. Most of the rest of JC is trash, and that trash does hang out downtown as well. Keep that in mind.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
I recommended hobo and weehawkin cause the original poster stated they wanted to look there instead. I know they are more expensive than jc downtown. Although, I dont think that much more. If you can afford JC downtown, i think you can also afford hobo as well. I rather choose those 2 instead of JC downtown.

As for tommyc, I dont think there are any 'educated' decisions when it comes to real estate. Can anyone have known the bottom would have dropped out of real estate as bad it is? I dont think so. When I moved to heights, I was told it was up and coming, prices are only going up, blah blah blah. Well, you know the ending to that story now. After living there for 2 years, I think that was the only true way I would have known was to actually live there and see how bad it really was.

Anyways, downtown JC is definately not all thats is cracked up to be. When living to JC, i rarerly ventured downtown as it was very hard to park, drive in by car. Newport mall was nothing to be inspired about as the type of crowd it attracts. Downtown JC is just a very small niche of JC. Most of the rest of JC is trash, and that trash does hang out downtown as well. Keep that in mind.
I wonder "trash" must be related to all the "big butts" you are referring to

BTW Hoboken has its "trash" too (lest you forget the southwest quarter of the down is dominated by housing projects) and there are plenty of people who go between the Heights and Hoboken.

And I honestly don't get your other criticisms. You think downtown JC is hard to park in? Try Hoboken - it's a thousand times worse. And keep in mind the reason most people would choose to live in either downtown JC or Hoboken is to be able commute to Manhattan via public transit.

And does the fact that downtown JC is only 1/5 of the town (and almost exactly the same size as Hoboken, BTW) make it any better or worse in and of itself?

I am not staying downtown is perfect, and yes it is certainly not as far ahead in gentrification as Hokoken, but your criticisms seem to come more from your lack of experience in downtown JC versus any inherent qualities of the area.

Fine that the area doesn't work for you, but that doesn't mean it isn't right for others. For someone who has been priced out of any transit-accessible part of Hoboken or who just wants a slightly different vibe downtown JC has a lot to offer. And for people who have been priced out of downtown there are other parts of JC (like the Heights and the area right around Lincoln Park) where the right person can be happy as well.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:40 AM

If you lived in the Heights you should have taken the Path to Downtown instead of driving. This is the city, bud, leave your car in the suburbs.

Where do you live now, anyways? Just curious.

FYI, I don't see trash from the "other" parts of JC hanging out in my neighborhood. They'd be looked at suspiciously

Old 07-02-2008, 09:43 AM

576 posts, read 1,371,656 times
So since when is the Lincoln park Area a nice place to live? I see it regularly and it hasnt changed since as far back as I can remember.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:47 AM

I wouldn't live in the Lincoln park area. But I think what downtownJC is saying is that Lincoln Park and the Heights may be the next areas to experience a true level of gentrification.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
So since when is the Lincoln park Area a nice place to live? I see it regularly and it hasnt changed since as far back as I can remember.
There is a small but vocal group of people who own the Victorians on and around Bentley Avenue who are very focused on preserving and improving the historic homes in the area. That said, it's definitely not for everyone but there are some people who are very happy to be over there. You'd be surprised how expensive some of those homes are. This one (http://www.renaissancerealtors.com/99BentleyAveJC/ - broken link) is on the market for almost a million (I think it's crazy, but hey some people are really into historic homes I guess).

I don't mean to say the whole West Side is paradise, but little pockets like this do have an attraction to some people.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:59 AM

730 posts, read 2,543,880 times
I live in the Heights and I disagree with people who say it is so dangerous. The Heights is no different than any other part of JC in that it has good and not so good parts. I live W of Kennedy and my block, and the surrounding ones are quiet family areas. Downtown has nice areas and obviously that is the focal point of the revitalization, and I agree, the Heights would be the next probable place for people to start moving who have been out priced with DT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or