U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 11:12 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,418,696 times

Advertisements

Yes of course all cities vary from block to block but the old style cities we have in the northeast are more extreme in this regard than cities in other parts of the U.S. I find it interesting that this OP states she grew up in the area but seems not to understand that on a limited income you have limited options. Why look in JC at all if you can look in the surrounding older towns? The OP seems to be concerned with things not consistent with life in urbania. Such as- I want to own- it needs to be inexpensive and safe.

If you don't care about a sense of community and are only mildly concerned with safety than you could live in many different areas. Parts of Hoboken or JC for example- that are still low income would fit the bill. This thread sounds like it was started by a middlewesterner who knows nothing about urban life in the northeast.
Oh, forgot to mention- downtown JC is out of the $$ range for this person. They are stating that they want to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 11:17 AM

209 posts, read 1,554,287 times
Back to the matter at hand I would actually suggest the OP look in Brooklyn or parts of Queens, or even maybe some of the Long Island towns near the NYC border. Commuting from anywhere in NJ to Brooklyn is a pain, and you might find something in your price range out there if you look hard enough and find the right neighborhood.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:19 AM

1,110 posts, read 3,816,001 times
Not having a car is not an option for me. I cant imagine a family without a car especially with infants/toddlers. Just to go shopping, visiting relatives, etc. How do they do it? Anyway, having a car was a necessity for me and thus picked the Heights. Yes, Hobo is worse than JC in parking dept.

I ventured to downtown JC and was not overly impressed. I enjoyed hanging out in hobo more. I just have rather jump on the path and hang in NYC instead. I guess downtown JC is what you make of it and I did not spend as much time to feel out the area. I dont know. I still think if you have that kind of $ to spend, might as well look as well at places that are much more developed and safer overall.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:25 AM

The best blocks in JC heights would probably be more $$$ than in the budget mentioned here. Why not rent for a year to get a feel for the area at least before locking yourself in?

Safety on a limited income sounds more like Queens than Brooklyn. Queens near the LI border is pretty far out there but might work for someone with this sort of outlook. Not really enough info from the OP to help much more.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:58 AM

148 posts, read 580,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
Yes of course all cities vary from block to block but the old style cities we have in the northeast are more extreme in this regard than cities in other parts of the U.S. I find it interesting that this OP states she grew up in the area but seems not to understand that on a limited income you have limited options. Why look in JC at all if you can look in the surrounding older towns? The OP seems to be concerned with things not consistent with life in urbania. Such as- I want to own- it needs to be inexpensive and safe.

If you don't care about a sense of community and are only mildly concerned with safety than you could live in many different areas. Parts of Hoboken or JC for example- that are still low income would fit the bill. This thread sounds like it was started by a middlewesterner who knows nothing about urban life in the northeast.
Oh, forgot to mention- downtown JC is out of the $$ range for this person. They are stating that they want to buy.
After looking a bit more we are basically priced out of weehawken but i saw a few things available in our price range in west new york. and in my other posts i believe that i said our intended area was the heights and b/c we had heard vastly different things about the saftety of the area just wanted to get some more opinions (i belive we have gone through this, im not sure what part of wanting to just get more info you dont understand). I dont know where you are from but cities are not one and the same and change drastically, for instance, there are all sorts of projects happening downtown newark but since i have not lived there in a while and have not seen this new downtown i am probably not the best person to give advice about it.

midwest, nope. was born in newark went to l.a.spencer for elementary, university high, moved to linden graduated from there, no need to lie.

i would think as i said before, that if my posts annoyed you so, you would simply see the id and not respond but feeling the need to come back and take shots at my "mindset" is a bit ridiculous and now annoying

As for the others, downtown is really out of our price range. would probably have to be the heights. i have heard from my a couple of people i know who live downtown that the heights was a good area but hearing something like that from people who live or have lived in the heights vs people who live near it (like downtown jc) is a diff story. i

Old 07-02-2008, 12:35 PM

Of course you will hear different things about the heights- it varies from block to block and neighborhoods there can change rapidly- even from year to year. Why not rent for a while instead of locking yourself in? You will learn about the nabe first hand and only you will know if you can tolerate it. Pick a block with lots of families and do more research "on foot" before you choose.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:43 PM

576 posts, read 1,374,494 times
I would say to the OG poster to just look around for yourself and try and ask questions to people that live/ have lived in the particular area. The heights like stated before is kinda hit or miss but it says your coming from Newark so it wouldnt be anything like that in the crime department. As for other affordable areas im not to sure, I would say west ny, weehawken I thought would be fairer priced than it acctually is, bayonne and JC heights or downtown.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:49 PM

576 posts, read 1,374,494 times
Also as far as the header to your post, its not that you shouldnt move to JC cause it really does have a ton of good qualities its just a matter of finidng a good area. It really is a hit or miss type of place , just takes some research. The only reason I chime in every JC post is because sometimes theres alot of spamers trying to sell condos and or people that just moved into the city and have all the answers.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:01 PM

730 posts, read 2,548,092 times
I can add that most any person you speak to, who is FROM Jersey City will agree, as far as the heights go, the farther West you go, the better it is. I did tons of research before we bought there and I don't feel like we made a bad decision. Like I said earlier, it's mostly all working class families in our area. One thing is though, when we were looking, a vast majority of the homes for sale are 2 family homes which is what we purchased, so as far as what you can get for your budget, I cannot be of any help. Sorry!

Old 07-02-2008, 01:47 PM

1,110 posts, read 3,816,001 times
Worst mistake we made was moving into an our both of us were not familiar with. If I had to do it again, we would have rented.. Never buying. I think, from now on, when we move to a new location I will always rent first to test it out.

I think your best option is to rent in the Heights and see how it goes. I mean, I atleast felt fine walking the mile to JSQ at any hour. However, the wife and friends certainly did not. I came from Monmouth/Marlboro area so going from suburb to urban was a big change. I always was concerned if my car was still there everyday as Ive seen many break ins, broken glass alot. Ive been awoken by cops shining flashlights in the night looking for god knows what. Ive seen many arguments, screaming, yelling both within our building and outside.. The list goes on and on. I dont know if this is the norm for urban areas, but its something we did not like and would never go back too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or