U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 01:46 PM

5,370 posts, read 10,128,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Todd, you say, "Once you walk a few blocks either way, things change..big time...thats the rap on JC..nice one block..not so nice others".

I have news for you, that's the "rap" in any city, across the world in fact. Move to another city to see for yourself. That's the nature of cities, buddy.

The Heights (any part of the Heights) is many times more dangerous than any part of Downtown these days.

If you had a bad experience of JC (and I think you made a very uneducated decision), that's fine...but Downtown JC is a great place for a lot of other people. Hence the population boom that has been occurring Downtown. SOME people must think it's a pretty cool place, no?

In your posts, you paint Jersey City with a broad brush, and that's just not very insightful on your part.
This statement is 100 percent NOT true. You are telling me that any part of downtown is better than all areas of the heights. I THINK NOT. You say any part of the heights is many more times more dangerous than any part of downtown. Untrue kid, spend some time in JC before you make that assumption. And two or three years don't cut it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 02:29 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,413,110 times
That is very telling. These areas can change from block to block very rapidly. That is why buying in these areas tends to be risky. It is usually never all or nothing in these kinds of neighborhoods. Anyone who has spent significant time in urban NJ knows this.

I would not bother telling this person to look in Fairview or N Bergen as they clearly want urban. Yet they don't want an area that might turn yuppie and they want safe and cheap. They cleary will not find everything they want with the parameters they have set. It is not surprising that someone would mention Queens here. There are more affordable areas there(still technically urban) that fit the bill for this person. In the urban sense there would be more to look at with the parameters they have set.( buying price is still set a little too low though)

In any case we don't know what OP is willing to trade off on. Without that it is hard to rec anything here.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:15 AM

72 posts, read 253,904 times
I'm born and raised in Jersey City, still live here. The Heights is a long way from being gentrification. Don't get me wrong, they're trying. But alot of families are staying put and it still has good diversity of cultures.

I will say the western slope of the heights (west of Kennedy Blvd), is a quiet area, no zone parking (yet), and close to all the bus routes on Kennedy Blvd.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:31 AM

730 posts, read 2,543,880 times
I agree with Dragon. Gentrification of Jersey City is going to take a very long time. Downtown is the size of Hoboken. It took Hoboken well over 10 years to get to where it is today. I think the Heights may be the next area that gentrifies, but who knows.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:55 PM

217 posts, read 1,005,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newarkbomb View Post
well i know i went to elemantary at jersey city and it wasnt bad, that was in the mid 80s .. I know the #1 high school in new jersey is in jersey city.. I forgot what its called but you have to register them for a test before hand from last school year in october, but if not, the rest of the high schools in jc are terrible...

But hoboken, west ny, and weehawken are kinda the same. Especially weehawken and hoboken... How about bayonne, i know they have great priced homes. Better then the hoboken area atleast. The public schools are decent.
i agree

Old 07-07-2008, 09:12 AM

2,705 posts, read 7,097,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
This statement is 100 percent NOT true. You are telling me that any part of downtown is better than all areas of the heights. I THINK NOT. You say any part of the heights is many more times more dangerous than any part of downtown. Untrue kid, spend some time in JC before you make that assumption. And two or three years don't cut it.
I've spent plenty of time in Jersey City, and I'm very familiar with the entire city. Except maybe the Lincoln Park area. I feel 100 times safer in every part of Downtown than I feel in any part of the Heights. Maybe it's just the "feel", but I'm just expressing how I feel.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:07 AM

97 posts, read 376,450 times
Default Heights and downtown

We're finally moving out of Jersey, but have lived in both the Heights (4 years) and downtown (Harsimus Cove) for 4 years. Downtown is almost an entirely different city than the Heights. While I never really felt "unsafe" in the heights, my wife frequently had to deal with verbal harassment from random people on the street, and I never let her walk home from the bus-stop alone after dark. Downtown has been entirely different. We both feel safe nearly anywhere and have really seen the area take-off. There are tons of couples with babies and young children (including ourselves) and Newark Ave. is starting to turn around. Still way too many crappy 5 & Dime shops, but several new restaurants have opened and they're pretty good. Our commute to midtown Manhattan is faster from downtown than it was from either the Heights or Queens (where we lived before our move to JC).

I would say the downtown area is VERY family-friendly. Parking is not great, but certainly equal to the parking situation in the Heights, and WAY better than Hoboken. The only reason we're leaving is that we're looking for a bit more space and somewhere with a yard, otherwise downtown has had everything we wanted.

Anyway... that's my 2-cents worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or