Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 06:57 PM

148 posts, read 639,393 times

Advertisements

I have been reading the millions of posts about jersey city and its obvious that even those that like the city would not recommend moving there with a child. We thought it could possibly be a good investment and give my husband a shorter commute to work in Brooklyn. It appears that if the heights were to become completely gentrified it will be more of a yuppie area (at least that is what i am gathering from the posts) and if that is true then it will really not be our kinda place. My hubby lived in hoboken and found he was not the hoboken type. So what are your thoughts on weehawken and west new york. Please keep in my that we are not trying to settle down there for the rest of our lives and private school is an option. We're a young couple with a small child who like the city life a bit more than the burbs but want to live in a safe neighborhood. Oh and we are not rich so the goal is find at least a 2 bedroom place for 325k or less, preferably less and condos will work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 07:41 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,687,834 times
well i know i went to elemantary at jersey city and it wasnt bad, that was in the mid 80s .. i know the #1 high school in New Jersey is in jersey city.. i forgot what its called but you have to register them for a test before hand from last school year in october, but if not, the rest of the high schools in jc are terrible...

But hoboken, west ny, and weehawken are kinda the same. Especially weehawken and hoboken... how about Bayonne, i know they have great priced homes. better then the hoboken area atleast. The public schools are decent.

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-01-2008 at 05:03 AM.. Reason: No advertising

Old 06-30-2008, 09:16 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,490 times
If you think you can find a sense of community there for your child then it might be worth considering but nobody on this forum can answer that for you. Most people will assume private school means you have some life options but in the end only you know where you will feel comfortable. You are lucky to have some options at least.

If you had an urban type childhood yourself you already know what that's about and what that will mean for a kid. There are surrounding communities that are a little less urban- maybe that is already a trade-off for you. Who here can say?

Old 07-01-2008, 04:49 AM

hi cyntmac, there seems to be a little annoyance from your end towards my posts but to answer the question, im guessing no one can really tell anyone what to do on a forum. Only offer suggestions, advice, and opinions. Im not looking for a "you HAVE to do this" "move here" type of a response but more of a "check out this city and/or this was my experience". In my experience growing up in one city doesnt mean youll like all cities some are more dangerous, more mixed, some are not really crime ridden but are crummy looking (and im not one to just FULLY believe in statistics/ i have family in law enforcement/ and im in the education field i know the score and ratings game). Im not really familiar with all of jersey, if i would not have met my husband i probably would not have traveled into hoboken (i know many people who still have not seen the new hoboken). Just looking for first hand information about the cities i know little about, trust, i am not making life decisions based on it but take it into consideration when i do more research (turns out jersey man telling us to look west of kennedy blvd was helpful)

Old 07-01-2008, 07:01 AM

12 posts, read 37,229 times
I've lived in West New York and although it's convenient and has a great view ( i lived on boulevard east), there is usually absolutely no parking and i don't feel extremely safe there. I did recently find these great condos in jersey city and they are in a great area near transportation and well lit areas. In fact, I'm considering moving to Liberty Harbor as soon as my lease is up.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:13 AM

It is unusual for someone to ask about communities that are so close together(not just in geography) and at the same time state that they are not a Hoboken "type" or a Weehawkin "type". This is not really helpful info. Or "the area may become upscale in the future"- not my type of place. If you are used to living in urban areas you would have some perspective already and that seems missing here. The mind set here just does not fit urban at all.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:46 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,371,636 times
If you can afford weehawkin or west NY, by all means do it!! JC is not as expensive as those places because the quality of live is subpar. If I had the extra $$, I would have never chosen JC, I would have moved elsewhere like hobo/wee/or west ny.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
It is unusual for someone to ask about communities that are so close together(not just in geography) and at the same time state that they are not a Hoboken "type" or a Weehawkin "type". This is not really helpful info. Or "the area may become upscale in the future"- not my type of place. If you are used to living in urban areas you would have some perspective already and that seems missing here. The mind set here just does not fit urban at all.
I have a met a few people in jersey city and they talk about certain areas in the city differently than they do others, they also describe weehawken and west new york in the same way (hoboken is more yuppie, weehawken has more imigrants and families similar to west new york) I think Tommyc said it before city can be different from block to block, so i never assumed that just b/c they are close they are the same. It usually doesnt work that way with cities. Im form newark and there are different sections depending on what you are looking for but newark is also really close to hillside and uniontownship and they are completely different places...but all in all i asked for opinions and not a personal evalution of my mind set so it would seem if you had nothing to offer you would just skip the post

Last edited by spotlight114; 07-01-2008 at 08:15 AM..

Old 07-01-2008, 08:14 AM

Yes of course true urban areas vary wildly from block to block. What are you willing to trade off on? That would be much more helpful here!

Old 07-01-2008, 09:00 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,272,299 times
Hey Spotlight,

I've said it before...there are really a LOT of young folks with small children in Downtown JC. Like, a whole lot. How old are your children. There is a serious baby boom in Downtown JC. Have you checked out some of the neighborhoods downtown? It's still kind of one of the best-kept secrets in NJ. Check it out.

The perception around these parts is that Hoboken has gotten out of control with the 20-somethins. It really has kind of ruined the town, actually. It is a quaint area around Washinton Street, but Hoboken has a very suburban feel due to all the suburban 20-somethins moving there. Hoboken has become kind of vanilla and fake.

Downtown JC is more your speed, I would presume. There are all age ranges, and yet there are still a lot of hip spots for drinks/dinner/cafes, etc. And like I said, there really are a lot of strollers being pushed around.

In a nice area that is urban (near manhattan), you will not find a 2-bedroom place for $325. You should be able to find a 1-bedroom, however, for that price.

FYI, todd has a negative view of JC because he lived in a bad area. The area of JC that I would vouch for is the Downtown area. It's an entirely different PLANET from the rest of JC.

Seriously, check it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey