U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 11:59 PM

38 posts, read 140,024 times

Advertisements

i live in middlesex (east brunswick to be exact) and im wondering if anyone around here knows some good hikes. ill drive up to 1-1 1/2 hours(if im driving for a long time, i'd like a really pretty one, worth a long drive haha) do you guys have any suggestions? i'll go north or south. im a beginner so i am not looking for anything too serious. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 12:09 AM

9,601 posts, read 23,074,372 times
The Hopewell area has some great hiking

Trail Guide - Ted Stiles Preserve at Baldpate Mountain - NJ Trails Association

Old 07-02-2008, 10:23 AM

15,901 posts, read 10,958,252 times
Default You want hiking, here you go

Baldpate is a super place with older building being restored and high fields with a thru the trees view of the Deleware river.
A much closer place would be the east face of the Sourland mountains in Hillsborough twp, East mtn reservation.
East mountain road / park- West on 518 about 2.8 miles west of rt 206 until you see Blawnberg/Montgomery rd on the right
right on Blawnberg/ Montgomery rd about 4 miles, make left onto East Mountain rd and park will be on your left. Great hiking through giant boulders and mature forest.
Further west along the Sourland ridge into Hunterdon co along Rileyville rd is another huge section. This parcel is located just behind Highfields which is the famous the Lindberg estate.
Rileyville road, off rt 518, is in the middle of Hopewell at the traffic light, go right at Rileyville and near the top of the mountain look for a brown wooden sign on the right indicating the entrance and parking lot. This area is the border of Somerset, Hunterdon and Mercer counties.
Baldpate in Mercer co is at the western end of the Sourland ridge. rte 518 west across rte 31 and then a left on rte 579 to a right on fiddlers creek rd.
Your best best is 6 mile run reservoir right in your backyard.
Rt 1 to Cozzens lane to rte 27. West on 27 just a few miles to Cortelyous lane on the right, at a traffic light. Drive to end of Cortelyous to Middlebush rd. Make a right and an immediate left onto Jacques lane. The most of the entire right side of the road is park land as is some of the property along Cortelyous near middlebush rd. After the big dip in the road look for a parking lot on your right. Optionally continue to the end of Jacques to canal rd. Make a right and go about 1/2 a mile and see the park office on the right. Park and hike the fields and woods or cross the street and walk for miles along the Delaware and Raritan canal.
You can reach all these places from rt 518....take rt 18 to to rt 27 W, pick up rt 518 west.
Just a note, After you hit rte 27 off Cozzens lane and go west, you will see a soccer field on the right. You can park there and walk that parcel of 6 mile run.
Even closer to home is Rutgers Heylar woods right off Ryders lane just before rt 1. Open to the public.
Another great hike is Hutchinson forest along rte 514, which belongs to Rutgers and can be hiked by appointment and is free. Only virgin forest in the east. Make a right just past Hutchinson and your in Colonial park with another access to the Canal path. The canal runs from Bulls Island in the Delaware river down thru Trenton and back up thru Princeton to New Brunswick. Think its about 40 miles long.
6 Mile is made of of several different parcels of land you can hike. Check out D&R canal site for details including 6 mile run.
These are some quick hits. Hunterdon co has numerous parcels of land and has done more to acquire public land than any other county. See also Stony Brook Preserve in Mercer south of Hopewell. Sandy Hook after 5pm has some incredible views and hikes through holly forests.
Double check my directions with any of the on-line maps. NJ has so much to offer in terms of hiking and nature.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:53 AM

3,137 posts, read 7,885,316 times
I've done the D&R canal towpath sections near the Delaware river. That's a nice, easy, flat hike- watch out for bikers though.

Washington's Crossing State Park is along that path as well, and I recall it having quite a few trails, a bit hillier and more challenging than the towpath.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:27 PM

604 posts, read 2,586,036 times
There is a nice park in the Martinsville section of Bridgewater for hiking and mountain biking all around the reservior. Rated one of the best mountain biking trails in NJ but lots of hikers use these trails also.
Parking lot on Newmans lane just off of Washington Valley road.
Tatke Rt 22 W to Chimney Rock road go to Light at Washington Valley road turn left go thru next light and turn left just past church on to Newmans lane. Parking lot on left about 1/2 mile.

E

Old 07-04-2008, 05:42 AM

5,079 posts, read 7,245,272 times
I love to hike the Delaware Water Gap. Take 80 west and it's right off the highway. Great place to hike, great trails and all. I think I'm taking my kids at some point this weekend.
Have fun!

Old 07-04-2008, 01:50 PM

38 posts, read 140,024 times
thanks everyone!!

Old 07-07-2008, 09:18 AM

83 posts, read 237,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I love to hike the Delaware Water Gap. Take 80 west and it's right off the highway. Great place to hike, great trails and all. I think I'm taking my kids at some point this weekend.
Have fun!
Yah, ditto this! Worth noting, that the Del Water Gap is traversed by the Appalachian Trail. On the northern (I think) side of the gap is the Kittatinny Ridge, which I hiked in my youth and hope to do again. Some of the most mindblowing views I have ever experienced. In any case, the gap is a great jumping off point (or ending point) for any streach of the Ap. Trail.

diogenesNY

Old 07-07-2008, 10:26 AM

2,310 posts, read 4,813,326 times
I've seen a Bald Eagle soaring there - breathtaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or