U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 05:48 PM

9,124 posts, read 32,106,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Ok, then, let me rephrase, it is a modular. Not a mobile.
I'm really surprised at everyone saying they would not hesitate to buy one. That lifts my spirits about it.
So I guess then, resale is not even a question?
For some people, modulars will always have a stigma attached to them, but for anyone who knows better than to focus on old wives tales and ignorance, you won't have a problem with resale. In many cases, most folks wouldn't even realize the house was a modular unless the home inspector pointed it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 07:49 PM

5,079 posts, read 7,248,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
For some people, modulars will always have a stigma attached to them, but for anyone who knows better than to focus on old wives tales and ignorance, you won't have a problem with resale. In many cases, most folks wouldn't even realize the house was a modular unless the home inspector pointed it out.
Thanks, Bob. That makes me feel much better and actually pretty excited about it. I was scared to go into something that most others would not.
Although I'm not as young and dumb as I once was, I still worry sometimes about naivete (sp?) on things I have no clue about. Everyone here has helped a bunch with this! Thanks!

Old 07-02-2008, 02:20 PM

392 posts, read 1,400,763 times
The big difference.... a mobile home (aka manufactured) has a metal undercarriage. These homes are more difficult and costly to obtain financing on. A modular home is a "stick built" home that is partially built in a factory and then assemlbed on site. They are the the same as any home built completely on site.

Some "mobile" homes are beautiful. To truely know what you are dealing with, you must look at the framing under the home (look in the crawl space). If you see metal, it's a MANF home.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:53 PM

526 posts, read 1,222,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I have a question, I'm hoping one of you can answer. I went and looked at a home and it was really nice.
It was a manufactured home that I had no clue and still wouldn't if I weren't told. It's on a foundation.
How is the resale of these homes? Is it the same as a stick built?
Thanks in advance.
Depends on quality, and location. put it on a great lot in a good town, and get good quality and the resale should be the same as similar stick built.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,287 times
I have had modular and manufactured homes..I now live in a manufactured home...that is bolted to the foundation like a stick built home...We had a stick built home and had nothing but problems..nails popping up, cracks in the walls, linoleum curling...carpet raveling..our manufactured home is 5 years old on a permanent foundation on 15 acres..we have compared our energy bills to one of our neighbors who have a smaller stick built home. They were imressed with the lower bills...both heat with propane and the same electric company...The newer manufactured homes are built considerable better than the older ones, but i can't say anything bad about them..my sister has lived in her manufactured home for 21 years and it looks great...sure you have to maintain any home...no matter if its manufactured, modular or stick built...please check how the home is attached to the foundation, the insulation factor, windows and doors before you turn your nose up to a manufactured home...we have had all three and would buy a manufactured home again..they are stick built but on a frame and brought in 2 halves, but i see no difference in appearance from a manufactured or modular...you just have to know what you are looking at when you go and check one out...crawl under..look at the plumbling and the electric,,,and the other hook ups...you will be impressed on how good they are made...you cannot tell the difference if you don't crawl under and look..ask questions...just like any house...what is it going to cost me for the monthly utilities that is the most important thing..the taxes is another...just dont look at a manufactured home as a mobile home...they have a steel frame, but the newer ones are just as good or even better than a stick built.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:13 PM

9,316 posts, read 13,856,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Remember that they need to be flat bedded to a location and assembled. No stick built home would be able to do that.
Actually, it's been done. It's not common, but sometimes homes are cut into pieces and moved to other locations. Of course you have to reinforce the cut parts, which is already done with a modular.

Quote:
Just in general stick built homes are garbage compared to homes built many years ago. Tell me, do you think your "newly" built home will still be standing 100 years from now?
This is a common belief but as far as I can tell, based on nothing. I'm sitting in a 50-year-old home built in exactly the same manner as many homes are today. No sign of it falling down, though the insulation and windows are certainly subpar compared to a modern home.

On the other hand, quite a few over 100-year-old masonry homes had to be reinforced due to the mortar dissolving. If you've seen very large star washers on old brick homes, that's what they're for -- they're the ends of a tie rod which was added to hold the walls together. Without them, and the work done when they were put in, the walls would literally have fallen down.

The thing I would avoid is use of OSB instead of plywood. Even its proponents admit it has problems with the edges swelling; I expect they'll solve that problem eventually, but not yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or