U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2008, 05:28 AM

1,972 posts, read 4,817,532 times

Advertisements

I was thinking today with the usual CD talk about corruption, taxes, gas, politics blah blah blah, if and when retirement comes your way, where would you want to go? Personally, If we ever get the chance, We'd love to move to Spokane WA or at least the pacific northwest. Perhaps I'm all "city" burnout and altough we currently live in rural sussex county, it's no where nearly as beautiful as the PNW. The only other choice that I could see, there's this Mountain village in one of the caribbean islands that I have my eye out on but the DW is a bit hesitant to move outside the states. Anyhow, care to share your retirement wishes/plans?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 06:08 AM

7,577 posts, read 19,972,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
I was thinking today with the usual CD talk about corruption, taxes, gas, politics blah blah blah, if and when retirement comes your way, where would you want to go? Personally, If we ever get the chance, We'd love to move to Spokane WA or at least the pacific northwest. Perhaps I'm all "city" burnout and altough we currently live in rural sussex county, it's no where nearly as beautiful as the PNW. The only other choice that I could see, there's this Mountain village in one of the caribbean islands that I have my eye out on but the DW is a bit hesitant to move outside the states. Anyhow, care to share your retirement wishes/plans?
Good question... I have a feeling we will end up in Scotland when we retire but if we stay in the States... Savanhah GA looks beautiful. You should check it out...beautiful old homes! Washinton State is also very nice but I'm not sure I could handle the winters up there... last time I was there, they had something 795 inches of snowfall!!!!!!!

Old 07-01-2008, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Good question... I have a feeling we will end up in Scotland when we retire but if we stay in the States... Savanhah GA looks beautiful. You should check it out...beautiful old homes! Washinton State is also very nice but I'm not sure I could handle the winters up there... last time I was there, they had something 795 inches of snowfall!!!!!!!
Yeah, Savanah GA has some amazing beautiful old homes, I believe it was featured in that movie "Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil". I don't know much about Scotland except for their men wearing kilts, Mel Gibson's movie "Braveheart" and Rob Roy and oh yeah, Golf was invented there I believe LOL but I'm sure it's very nice. But don't worry Wiley we have plenty of time to make our retirement plans come true, unless of course I win the lottery tonight

Old 07-01-2008, 06:29 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,340,870 times
It it were possible, I'd like to retire to Bermuda.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Yeah, Savanah GA has some amazing beautiful old homes, I believe it was featured in that movie "Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil". I don't know much about Scotland except for their men wearing kilts, Mel Gibson's movie "Braveheart" and Rob Roy and oh yeah, Golf was invented there I believe LOL but I'm sure it's very nice. But don't worry Wiley we have plenty of time to make our retirement plans come true, unless of course I win the lottery tonight
Sorry but the winnings are all mine tonight! My palms have been intching all week..lol : ) You should take the wife to Scotland..it's beautiful! The Festival in Edinburgh is coming up in August. Official Tourist Board - accommodation, attractions and events around Edinburgh.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:35 AM

1,369 posts, read 4,138,682 times
I could never live in the Pacific NW. My brother lived in Spokane for a long time. The summers are brutal and the winters are SNOWY as all get out. He has since moved to the burbs of Seattle and I couldn't make it there either. Drizzly, grey for days and days. Blech!

If I had the $$$, my retirement home would be on Key West. Tropical but still in the US. I have a feeling though that we will end up right where we are now. We are mortgage free.

Shanny

Old 07-01-2008, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Sorry but the winnings are all mine tonight! My palms have been intching all week..lol : ) You should take the wife to Scotland..it's beautiful! The Festival in Edinburgh is coming up in August. Official Tourist Board - accommodation, attractions and events around Edinburgh.

Your palm is itching because of all the bugs and critters in your area, not to mention all the trees. I promise to take the wife to Scotland after I win tonight's lottery, I'll even drink a beer on you when I get there

Old 07-01-2008, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
I could never live in the Pacific NW. My brother lived in Spokane for a long time. The summers are brutal and the winters are SNOWY as all get out. He has since moved to the burbs of Seattle and I couldn't make it there either. Drizzly, grey for days and days. Blech!

If I had the $$$, my retirement home would be on Key West. Tropical but still in the US. I have a feeling though that we will end up right where we are now. We are mortgage free.

Shanny
Shanny, We love the South Hill section of Spokane, I don't know if you've been there, but it's the most amazing Neighborhood of old homes that we've seen, we're very aware of the snow fall there. I think Wiley would love key West even more, not only because of the old homes in the Caribbean style but also is very G/L friendly, especially for their October festival.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
It it were possible, I'd like to retire to Bermuda.
Bermuda, Bahamas, come on pretty momma, Key Largo, Montego and the Floriday Keys, There's a place call Kokomo, that's where I wanna go to get away from it all.....I just couldn't resist.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Shanny, We love the South Hill section of Spokane, I don't know if you've been there, but it's the most amazing Neighborhood of old homes that we've seen, we're very aware of the snow fall there. I think Wiley would love key West even more, not only because of the old homes in the Caribbean style but also is very G/L friendly, especially for their October festival.
I've been to Key West... nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. It's one thing to be G/L friendly but it's another the be G/L safe! Florida does not recognized g/l marriages...nor do most of the southern bible belt States. One of the other reasons we decided agianst moving to GA. Besides..who wants to live with a bunch of Gs and L's... way too much drama!!! LOL : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey