U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-01-2008, 06:35 AM
 
210 posts, read 581,306 times
Reputation: 50

Advertisements

Hi... I am thinking of buying a house in Randolph with propane heat. I've had oil, electric and natural gas in the homes that I have lived in, but never propane.
Two questions:

1. Is propane more or less expensive?
2. I know that propane is explosive. Any issues with that?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-01-2008, 06:42 AM
 
Location: Here but I spend time There.
1,972 posts, read 4,816,962 times
Reputation: 556
Just don't shoot the tank and you should be fine, as far as cost, do a side by side comparison w/ all the different types of energy/heat and put in all the variables, i.e size of the home (sq footage)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 06:43 AM
 
Location: Stewartsville, NJ
7,577 posts, read 19,970,589 times
Reputation: 1246
Quote:
Originally Posted by watamensch View Post
Hi... I am thinking of buying a house in Randolph with propane heat. I've had oil, electric and natural gas in the homes that I have lived in, but never propane.
Two questions:

1. Is propane more or less expensive?
2. I know that propane is explosive. Any issues with that?
I have propane and I love it. Price per gallon is less than oil at the moment. I'm at 2.89/gallon and I hear it will be going up over 3.00/gallon this winter. I find it to be much cleaner than oil...less maintenance on the furnace as well. Regarding the "explosion" fear... no more dangerous than Natural Gas is. And the tanks that hold the propane are extremely thick! One word of advice...find out who owns the tank. If the homeowner doesn't own it it means that you are stuck with the propane company that they are using...no shopping around for prices!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Vermont
5,439 posts, read 14,324,626 times
Reputation: 2609
At $3/gallon, 90,000 BTU per gallon it is about the same price as $4.60 oil (which is where I would expect it to be next winter ,if not more) (137,000 BTU per gallon oil).

I would not be surprised to see the point where it's cheaper to use electric than propane and oil but I would not personally try to do a comparison of BTUs to watts in electric since electric heat is 100% efficient (that is, after all of the loss in conversion from coal to electric), cheap heaters, and space heating allowing you to shut off rooms you dont use.

To me it seems like basically it's the same price as oil..... but cleaner and less maintenance. In terms of efficiency it depends on the furnace....
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Stewartsville, NJ
7,577 posts, read 19,970,589 times
Reputation: 1246
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
At $3/gallon, 90,000 BTU per gallon it is about the same price as $4.60 oil (which is where I would expect it to be next winter ,if not more) (137,000 BTU per gallon oil).

I would not be surprised to see the point where it's cheaper to use electric than propane and oil but I would not personally try to do a comparison of BTUs to watts in electric since electric heat is 100% efficient (that is, after all of the loss in conversion from coal to electric), cheap heaters, and space heating allowing you to shut off rooms you dont use.

To me it seems like basically it's the same price as oil..... but cleaner and less maintenance. In terms of efficiency it depends on the furnace....
Great post. We've been getting alot of calls from people with oil and propane wanting to convert their central A/C units into electric heat units in order to save on fuel costs. it's an easy conversion and not that expensive....Not a bad idea....
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2008, 09:35 AM
 
3 posts, read 12,392 times
Reputation: 10
Default Propane ripoff in Morris County, New Jersey

We just bought a house which uses propane for cooking. (oil for main heat.) The existing dealer, Suburban Propane wants us to sign a contract for propane at $6.70 per gallon with a minimum annual commitment whether we use it or not. I don't know if the deliveryman wears a hold-up mask or not.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2008, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Stewartsville, NJ
7,577 posts, read 19,970,589 times
Reputation: 1246
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich47buzz View Post
We just bought a house which uses propane for cooking. (oil for main heat.) The existing dealer, Suburban Propane wants us to sign a contract for propane at $6.70 per gallon with a minimum annual commitment whether we use it or not. I don't know if the deliveryman wears a hold-up mask or not.
6.70!!!!!!!!!!! I'm locked in at 3.10 with Amerigas. Do you have to use Suburban? Sometime the propane co. owns the tank and you're stuck with them unless you buy the tank or remove it and install a new one. 6.70 is a rip off! I heard another co. out there was at 2.89...old able propane and I don't know their new name. Try priceenergy.com I believe they will show up on that webiste.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top