Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2008, 04:20 PM

11 posts, read 33,614 times

Advertisements

We are moving to NJ this summer. We are looking at Ridgewood and Mountain Lakes. Does anyone know about the Public High Schools in either of these places. I particularly want to know how the schools special services or resource departments work. Has anyone had good experiences with them? My son in California spends part time in the resource class and part time in regular classes. Every school works differently. Any info would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 04:39 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,897,774 times
I am not familiar with the particular districts that you are interested in but you should bring a copy of your son's IEP with you. When you enroll him in school they are required to provide the services in his IEP. However, some districts do in class support vs. pull out support. It depends on the district and sometimes it depends on the services required by the IEP.

You may want to contact the district's Special Services department and inquire about their services.

Below is a link to New Jersey's Parental Rights in Special Education.

http://www.state.nj.us/education/parights/prise.pdf (broken link)

Old 06-04-2008, 06:16 PM
ira

657 posts, read 3,930,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcal View Post
We are moving to NJ this summer. We are looking at Ridgewood and Mountain Lakes. Does anyone know about the Public High Schools in either of these places. I particularly want to know how the schools special services or resource departments work. Has anyone had good experiences with them? My son in California spends part time in the resource class and part time in regular classes. Every school works differently. Any info would be appreciated
Can't help you with Mountain Lakes but in Ridgewood there is a great organization called LSHSA (I believe it stands for Learning Services Home School Association). Their website is lshsa.org They have representatives from every Ridgewood public school including High School. That person (who is a parent whose special needs child attends high school) would be your best resource.

Good Luck.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:31 AM

7 posts, read 33,703 times
Mountain Lakes High school is rated in the top 5 schools in NJ every year. I think it is #1.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:45 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romedog99 View Post
Mountain Lakes High school is rated in the top 5 schools in NJ every year. I think it is #1.
yes, it's a very good high school (with the best Lacrosse team in the state!), but that really doesn't mean its special services are up to par - i don't believe these services are rated when these lists come out.

i have no idea about their resources for kids with special needs, they could be excellent for all i know, just wanted to bring up the fact that although as a whole the school is excellent, special resource is a whole other ball of wax and sometimes doesn't correlate with the schools' overall performance.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:34 AM

11 posts, read 33,614 times
Thanks for the info. I'll be visiting both schoold soon

Old 07-01-2008, 10:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,464 times
The Craig School is one of the best private schools for dyslexic/language arts school in Mountain Lakes. A friend of our family is a special ed teacher in the public schools in Mountain Lakes and said they offer the same services as the Craig School with respect to language arts remediation, etc. Mountain Lakes has a good reputation for its schools in general. I'm not sure what type of special ed services you need according to your child's IEP. Mountain Lakes is a beautiful, high end community as well. Housing starting at $600,000 on up ranges. Boonton Township is close by and sends their children to public schools in Mountain Lakes schools--more affordable if you want to try and rent to try it out?

Old 07-02-2008, 05:15 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,933,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjta View Post
The Craig School is one of the best private schools for dyslexic/language arts school in Mountain Lakes. A friend of our family is a special ed teacher in the public schools in Mountain Lakes and said they offer the same services as the Craig School with respect to language arts remediation, etc. Mountain Lakes has a good reputation for its schools in general. I'm not sure what type of special ed services you need according to your child's IEP. Mountain Lakes is a beautiful, high end community as well. Housing starting at $600,000 on up ranges. Boonton Township is close by and sends their children to public schools in Mountain Lakes schools--more affordable if you want to try and rent to try it out?
Boonton Twp kids only go to the ML high school. They have their own elementary and middle school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey