U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 01:41 PM

9 posts, read 40,658 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Teaneck and the city water here is ridiculously hard. Has anyone done a water test and came up with a ppm figure? I'm definitely getting a water softener and was wondering how big i should get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 02:45 PM
ira

657 posts, read 3,465,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidchrome View Post
I recently moved to Teaneck and the city water here is ridiculously hard. Has anyone done a water test and came up with a ppm figure? I'm definitely getting a water softener and was wondering how big i should get it.
Yes, the water here is very hard. We tested ours (we are in Ridgewood) and the level was 14+, which is the highest level. We are thinking of getting a water softener but haven't done it yet.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:49 PM

9 posts, read 40,658 times
is your water supplier also United Water in Hackensack?

Old 03-23-2009, 01:32 PM

5,438 posts, read 13,956,333 times
Has anyone tested their water for contaminents? We keep getting noticed from Ridgewood water about lead. We have a pretty decent under-sink filter and I'd like to test my water POST-filter to see what sort of job it is doing. I'd like to have this done NOT by someone selling a very fancy Reverse osmosis system or anything like that.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:45 PM
ira

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Has anyone tested their water for contaminents? We keep getting noticed from Ridgewood water about lead. We have a pretty decent under-sink filter and I'd like to test my water POST-filter to see what sort of job it is doing. I'd like to have this done NOT by someone selling a very fancy Reverse osmosis system or anything like that.
Yeah, it's scary. We bought a test kit at Home Depot and tested our water. Unfortunately, it's doesn't test for lead but it does hardness, chlorine, pH balance, alkalinity, nitrates, iron and copper. If you want to do "real" testing, call one of those fancy guys. You'll have to listen to their sales pitch but they have pretty sophisticated machines that test water.

What kind of under sink filter do you have? I need to buy one.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:12 PM

I found this thing at Sears in midland park for 50 dollars. i think they were on close out and they're all gone now. We also "T"'d it off to the ice maker, so ice and drinking water are filtered.

http://www.waterfilters.net/assets/zoomify/SY-2650.jpg

They probably have a few other items though. The replacement filters are really not bad. 25 dollars for 500 gallons. We just change it every 6 months. That is probably one thing to check before purchasing -- the cost of replacement filters.

here's the same thing we have, new brand

Pentek US-1000 MTBE Reduction Filtration System Only $119.99

Old 03-23-2009, 05:25 PM
ira

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
I found this thing at Sears in midland park for 50 dollars. i think they were on close out and they're all gone now. We also "T"'d it off to the ice maker, so ice and drinking water are filtered.

http://www.waterfilters.net/assets/zoomify/SY-2650.jpg

They probably have a few other items though. The replacement filters are really not bad. 25 dollars for 500 gallons. We just change it every 6 months. That is probably one thing to check before purchasing -- the cost of replacement filters.

here's the same thing we have, new brand

Pentek US-1000 MTBE Reduction Filtration System Only $119.99
Great. Thanks!

Old 03-23-2009, 05:49 PM

302 posts, read 1,773,034 times
Joe, the filter probably won't remove lead. That's what the RO system will do.

Ridgewood Water and United Water are supposedly different sources.

Yeah, Ridgewood water makes it difficult to get good results from a dishwasher.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:16 AM

For whatever it means...

"The system has been Tested and Certified by NSF International to reduce lead below the USEPA Action Level."

And it goes on to tell you how much lead it will let through at different pH levels. It also meets state of california water treatment device standards to remove lead.

Our dishwasher performance is awful.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:56 AM

1 posts, read 430 times
I can help if you want a water softener or any other filter type. Call me this is Dave at Portasoft. 908-233-4300
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or