U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,597 times

Advertisements

PBergen does indeed hit a lot of nails on the head. Thankfully! I hate reading opinions of people who only know either town in passing. The biggest differences between the two towns are Rutherford has more trees and much higher property taxes. Lyndhurst doesn't have much of a downtown area, instead it has shopping on Ridge Road and ValleyBrook Ave., as well as shopping centered on the TJ Maxx shopping center. Lyndhurst also recently unveiled its refurbished Town Hall park with a permanent small amphitheater and mesmerizing and serene new water fountain. The commute is almost identical time wise to Hoboken/NYC from either train station, as well as buses. Finally, there are plenty of great restaurants in the Rutherford-Lyndhurst-Nutley area, especially if you like Italian.
My recomendation is to buy a nice house in Lyndhurst and save the extra money you would pay on Rutherford property taxes, especially since you can easily walk (which my wife and I do) or drive to downtown Rutherford. If you choose to buy in Rutherford, you can avail yourself of the many great areas and stores in Lyndhurst via car too. You really can't go wrong with the area in general.
As far as which town has better schools, well, NJ public schools are all crap. Go private.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 01:05 PM

5,340 posts, read 12,340,970 times
NJ schools are not all crap by a LONG shot. NJ has some of the best schools in the country. And, frankly, most of the private schools in the Lyndhurst/Rutherford area (Sacred Heart, St. Mary's, Queen of Peace, St. Joseph's) are FAR FAR FAR from good schools (I'm very involved in Catholic Education - trust me - I know what I'm talking about.)

Rutherford has better schools, for Southern Bergen, a good bet. Lyndhursts aren't awful, but they are far from great.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:54 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,138,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orvisman1 View Post
PBergen does indeed hit a lot of nails on the head. Thankfully! I hate reading opinions of people who only know either town in passing. The biggest differences between the two towns are Rutherford has more trees and much higher property taxes. Lyndhurst doesn't have much of a downtown area, instead it has shopping on Ridge Road and ValleyBrook Ave., as well as shopping centered on the TJ Maxx shopping center. Lyndhurst also recently unveiled its refurbished Town Hall park with a permanent small amphitheater and mesmerizing and serene new water fountain. The commute is almost identical time wise to Hoboken/NYC from either train station, as well as buses. Finally, there are plenty of great restaurants in the Rutherford-Lyndhurst-Nutley area, especially if you like Italian.
My recomendation is to buy a nice house in Lyndhurst and save the extra money you would pay on Rutherford property taxes, especially since you can easily walk (which my wife and I do) or drive to downtown Rutherford. If you choose to buy in Rutherford, you can avail yourself of the many great areas and stores in Lyndhurst via car too. You really can't go wrong with the area in general.
As far as which town has better schools, well, NJ public schools are all crap. Go private.
NJ schools are NOT crap. What are you comparing them to?

Shanny

Old 11-05-2008, 03:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,396 times
Rutherford is a town in transition. It was headed more upscale, but stalled, so it is a mix of old & new. Many houses are WW II generation & have been handed down generation-to-generation. Originally, it was thought that the rail link to NY through Secaucus would be an attraction, but not many people use it and a golf course project for Rutherford/Lyndhurst didn't pan out. Friendly people in both towns (have lived in both). Rutherford is nicer, but the property taxes are a killer.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:08 PM

4 posts, read 13,369 times
Hello Bbergan,

I am looking to move rutherford because of commute, currently I live in edison. I am indian native from new delhi and would like your advice how much indian comunity is rutherford. School od rutherford as compare to edsion.

any information would be helpful.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:30 AM

12,411 posts, read 15,933,357 times
I can't contribute a lot, but when I changed address I compared the public libraries in towns to see where they put their priorities. Back at that time Rutherford had the better library. There used to be a college in the town, which could have accounted for that, in part. I also seem to remember something about alcohol in Rutherford, either it could not be sold or bars were banned.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:49 PM

9,312 posts, read 13,839,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I can't contribute a lot, but when I changed address I compared the public libraries in towns to see where they put their priorities. Back at that time Rutherford had the better library. There used to be a college in the town, which could have accounted for that, in part. I also seem to remember something about alcohol in Rutherford, either it could not be sold or bars were banned.
Yeah, Rutherford is dry, but East Rutherford is not. Guess what's the first thing you'll find when you cross the tracks?

I think the college is still there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or