U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2008, 09:38 PM

130 posts, read 443,486 times

Advertisements

I made an offer on a house and the seller agreed for it. But from market analysis the house value could be less by 5000-10000. Is it ethical to change the quote now? Contract is not signed yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 09:42 PM

12,284 posts, read 30,978,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skapur View Post
I made an offer on a house and the seller agreed for it. But from market analysis the house value could be less by 5000-10000. Is it ethical to change the quote now? Contract is not signed yet.
ethics really have nothing to do with it - you may have a financing problem if the appraisal doesn't come in near your purchase price.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:34 AM

1,106 posts, read 4,369,429 times
Tahiti makes a good point but that is assuming the that you are planning on financing with very little down.

If the seller is smart they'll tell you to take a walk. They already know what you're willing to pay for the house. I am probably different than a lot people here in that if it were my house I would walk away from the deal or up the price from what I originally accepted just for spite. But that's me. What does your real estate agent have to say about this?

Old 07-02-2008, 10:30 AM

12,947 posts, read 24,092,683 times
By markeyt analysis what exactly are you referring to?

If the lender appraisal 10k lower then the accepted offer either you will need to come up with that or seller needs to come down.

With all the topsy turvy upside down mortgages out there...house worth less that what is owed you would be nuts unless seller came down...and seller in this market would be nuts to think they are going to get 10k over appraisal in this market..jmo

Old 07-03-2008, 12:49 AM

1,914 posts, read 3,053,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skapur View Post
It does depend on what you mean by "market analysis". Are you looking at other homes in the same area with the same square footage, same acreage adn the same amenities?

I have a house I've been trying to sell for a good 10 months now. I've been getting "but in Green Brook the taxes are so much less than yours..and yours is in GB TWP". Yeah, well, you're on the other side of Rt. 22...my house has a Warren address...and other than being 20 yards into GB, you're in Warren. "but for it being a Green Brook house, there are bigger houses on smaller lots everywhere else in GB"...ok, again, what side of 22 and the mountain are you comparing my house to? And then there's my most favorite question " we really love that everything is brand new, but why are you $20K more than a beat up old mid-century house that has a formal dining room on a .25 lot on the "other side" of 22?" So done! I'm renting it. I don't care!

Take into consideration everything you'd be getting with the house you put a bid on vs. those houses that are "comping?" at the same price. You never know what is inside and how much work ($$$) you'd have to spend out of pocket to "fix her up". Are the lots bigger or smaller? How much updating needs to be done? Have you seen the houses you are comparing the one you bid on? If you have and it's is a non-issue then I'd look around a little bit more and retract my offer.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:17 PM

526 posts, read 1,223,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
It does depend on what you mean by "market analysis". Are you looking at other homes in the same area with the same square footage, same acreage adn the same amenities?

I have a house I've been trying to sell for a good 10 months now. I've been getting "but in Green Brook the taxes are so much less than yours..and yours is in GB TWP". Yeah, well, you're on the other side of Rt. 22...my house has a Warren address...and other than being 20 yards into GB, you're in Warren. "but for it being a Green Brook house, there are bigger houses on smaller lots everywhere else in GB"...ok, again, what side of 22 and the mountain are you comparing my house to? And then there's my most favorite question " we really love that everything is brand new, but why are you $20K more than a beat up old mid-century house that has a formal dining room on a .25 lot on the "other side" of 22?" So done! I'm renting it. I don't care!

Take into consideration everything you'd be getting with the house you put a bid on vs. those houses that are "comping?" at the same price. You never know what is inside and how much work ($$$) you'd have to spend out of pocket to "fix her up". Are the lots bigger or smaller? How much updating needs to be done? Have you seen the houses you are comparing the one you bid on? If you have and it's is a non-issue then I'd look around a little bit more and retract my offer.
yes, what are you comparing it too. Are you making a fair comparison to homes which have sold and you know the price at which they sold, or are you just comparing to the unsold competition which you think your home is better than???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or