U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2008, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,412 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband & I are looking to purchase our 1st home, and we've basically exhausted our search of Middlesex County. We are considering either looking in Monmouth or Mercer counties, but we're not familiar with either area. Can anyone tell me if they live in either one of these counties, and how you like the towns, or direct me to a site where I can find out school stats, etc? Thanks.

PS We are looking to purchase a home for between 285-300k, and have considered East Windsor + Hightstown in Mercer Cnty, and Hazlet, Howell or Freehold in Monmouth. Any insight on these particular towns would be great! Thanks

Meghan
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 09:31 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,140,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeghanB280 View Post
Hello,

My husband & I are looking to purchase our 1st home, and we've basically exhausted our search of Middlesex County. We are considering either looking in Monmouth or Mercer counties, but we're not familiar with either area. Can anyone tell me if they live in either one of these counties, and how you like the towns, or direct me to a site where I can find out school stats, etc? Thanks.

PS We are looking to purchase a home for between 285-300k, and have considered East Windsor + Hightstown in Mercer Cnty, and Hazlet, Howell or Freehold in Monmouth. Any insight on these particular towns would be great! Thanks

Meghan
Hiya Meghan!

I am originally from Monmouth County. For awhile we considered hhttp://www.plumsted.org/ere (cut and paste)

It is in Ocean County but it is somethimg to consider.

Good Luck!

Shanny

Old 07-02-2008, 12:12 AM

855 posts, read 2,125,482 times
I once lived in Hopewell and you couldn't ask for a much better place to raise a child. Although I haven't lived there for 20 years, my sister still lives there and it hasn't changed much at all. It's a very small town with around 2,000 people(It's hovered around there for years and years) and the crime rate is negligible. The schools have always been very good in general at all levels. Pennington is much the same in many ways but it's slightly larger. Also, the public high school for both Hopewell and Pennington is in Pennington and it also is home to some very good private schools if that's an option for you. It's also somewhat less isolated. You can check out their profiles here at City Data.

The negatives, mostly depending on your means would be property taxes and the fact that you probably wouldn't be able to choose from a large variety of housing in your price range. I did a quick check at the Remax site and there aren't many. On the other hand, it's a buyer's market and when the housing market eventually recovers(As we all hope it will), you would probably see a decent gain in the value of your home just based on location.

Another for Hopewell would be, as I mentioned, that it's somewhat off the beaten path if that's an issue. Pennington is 6 or so miles away, Princeton 9, Lawrenceville 8. There wasn't a bunch of shopping right in town when I lived there outside of some smaller stores, but there are an abundance of malls and shopping centers within 10 miles. Pennington has regular grocery stores right in town. Hopewell didn't when I lived there. It had a family owned market and a convenience store. I never really talk of such things with my sister so it could be different now.

Either would be a great option for raising a family. They're both still pretty much throwbacks to a simpler time, a rare thing these days. When I was younger there were times when it could be a little boring but I have a much greater appreciation of it now. You don't know what you're missing when it's not there any longer. I would recommend it to almost anyone considering Mercer County.

Here's Hopewell's web site:

hopewell boro (http://www.hopewellboro-nj.us/cms/ - broken link)

Here's Pennington's.

Borough of Pennington, New Jersey

They are both part of Hopewell Township, which also includes some other small towns.

Hopewell Township - Official Web Site

There are probably others, but here's one site that has school ratings:

New Jersey schools - NJ elementary, middle and high school information

The township itself has several parks and is quite a beautiful area. It is also a nice place to live for people who have an appreciation for the history of our country.

Good luck in your search.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:26 AM

9,601 posts, read 23,086,202 times
I'm a Monmouth county native, grew up in Roosevelt and went to Hightstown high school.
You get a lot of house for the money relative to other nearby towns in Roosevelt. It's quiet, has a very good elementary school, and a strong community spirit. About 5 miles south of Hightstown/East Windsor on Hwy 571.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:42 AM

24,757 posts, read 32,912,020 times
I think for your budget, in terms of Mercer County only East Windsor and Hightstown might work for you. Hopewell Township and Pennington are too expensive for what you are willing to pay; I don't think Hopewell Boro is much different. I will say that we endured a lot of problems and intolerance when we tried to move to Hopewell Twp.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:20 PM

646 posts, read 2,383,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeghanB280 View Post
Hello,

Meghan
In that price range, you could check Wall,Middeltown,Belmar,Manasquan,Tinton Falls ,Long Branch.I would go on line first and find homes in your range and then check them out and see if you like the neighberhood first.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:57 AM

6,044 posts, read 21,138,885 times
For your price range, I think you are on-target with the towns you listed in the original post. I think East Windsor and Hightstown are nice and underrated; I think East Windsor is experiencing slow, steady, positive growth and I think it's a good buy. Decent school districts, not outstanding but certainly not bad. I'm not too familiar with Hazlet. Howell is a great town, I worked there and I have family who live there. Schools are good. I have worked in Freehold too, cute town and I can't say anything bad about it either. I don't know about the schools. Me personally, I would lean towards East Windsor or Howell. Best of luck.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:13 PM

133 posts, read 622,220 times
I live in Hazlet nice town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or