U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 09:24 AM

209 posts, read 1,552,296 times

Advertisements

Tommy, I also hope that downtown doesn't turn into a clone of Hoboken and finds its own identity, but considering that downtown is approximately the same size as Hoboken, has a similar population, and honestly is in about the same stage of gentrification as Hoboken in the mid 1990s, I think it's certainly possible that the downtown area turns into something similar to Hoboken (whether one thinks that's good or bad).
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 09:27 AM

2,705 posts, read 7,097,620 times
Good point, downtownjc, re: the Path in Hoboken. Downtown Jersey City, with the same square mileage, has 3 Path stations, while Hoboken has one, and it's not centrally located. Real pain in the a**.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:32 AM

Well downtownJC, from I hear from my contacts, the local gov't is being very selective of the businesses that they are allowing to move in along Grove Street and Newark Ave, and even Jersey Ave. For example, see Skinner's Loft, Ox, and that Thai place on Newark Ave. More restaurant/lounges, rather than loud clubs/pubs. These types of places cater to more of an upscale crowd rather than 23 year olds who really do want to be loud and get hammered. (As I did when I was 23!!!)

That being said, the Newark Avenue streetscape beautification project has been APPROVED, and has been FUNDED, construction is slated to begin around August I believe.

Hopefully no more Dollar Stores in the near future!

Old 07-02-2008, 09:52 AM

576 posts, read 1,371,656 times
So having Skinners Loft and whatever else is supposed to be different from Hoboken? Ok so maybe the frat boy element will be eliminated but that will just increase the pretentiouness of the area, which Hoboken has quite alot of these days. I dont see your logic. So essentially you want JC to become Hoboken just minus the frat boys? I dont see how thats much better.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:56 AM

Yeah, I'd love for Downtown JC to be like Hoboken without the fratboys. Actually, it already is that way, just without a signature spine of retail/restaurants like Washington Street. That's what the Newark Ave/Grove Street corridor is meant to be....and the plan just got approved, so I'm excited.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:02 AM

Ha, that makes one of us. Its also alittle weird how excited you get over a section of a city.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:04 AM

Oh and since you seem to be the all knowing on JC , didnt you say that JC is trying not to become like Hoboken yet the Newark ave Grove street area is "supposed" to be like Washington St? For the record it has a hell of a way to go.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:09 AM

I like the aesthetics of Washington Street in Hoboken...not the crowd/scene.

Yes, I'd love for Newark Ave/Grove Street to look like that. Without the fratboys, please.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:14 AM

Hey im not arguing that Washington St looks very nice, I enjoy it once in a while myself till I get turned off by all the yuppies. My point is , if you want Newark ave or Grove street to "look" like that what type of clientel do you think is gonna flock to it? Obvously the anoying Hoboken type. Whatever though I give up with this whole Downtown JC crap and what it should look like and whos moving in/out.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:10 AM

792 posts, read 2,739,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycareerpro View Post
Hoboken has the appeal of the city without being as expensive.
From what I have heard and seen it is quite very expensive.

Quote:
Everything is within walking distance and I think the reason why a lot of young people, especially women are drawn to it is because it is almost like a college town but for young professionals (if that makes any sense).
IIRC Stevens college is there in town too by the water up from the train depot.

Quote:
What I mean by this is that everything is at your disposal, there is tons of nightlife, and plenty of people to mingle with.
Bars/clubs mostly?

Quote:
But it does have a mixed crowd- recent grads, trust funders, and professionals (commuters and home business owners) so it's all about what environment you prefer to live in.
On the socio/political scale does it tend toward center or far left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey15 View Post
Hoboken is a very lively, fun, congested, expensive town to live in comprised of lots of younger 22 ish to late 30 ish folks.
. What do these people do for fun besides bars/clubs? I'll use my imagination........

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey15 View Post
Seems to attract the post college singles crowd.
Lots of Ivy league (and Lehigh) types?

Quote:
Everything you need is right there in walking distance - grocery store, gym, bars, restaurants, etc.
This is very important, esp. nowadays.

Last edited by Spincycle; 07-02-2008 at 11:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey