Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 08:59 AM

37 posts, read 237,969 times

Advertisements

My neighbor's lawns and most of my lawn is already green. But there are some parts in my lawn that is still yellow/brown. It has been like this for several years. These areas also turn green in the summer, but in the fall, they turn yellow/brown earlier than other lawns.

Any suggestions on what I should do? Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 09:21 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
you should check your PH level. also, what kind of trees do you have? pine trees raise the acidity in the soil, because the needles fall. so it may be as simple as sprinkling some lime down. but really you have to find out is your pH too high or too low. i'm about to do a soil test through rutgers.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:34 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,665,285 times
Is the entire lawn the same kind of grass? From the picture it looks like the brown areas may be Zoysia, which changes to that straw color whenever there is a drought and during winter months. It's a very hardy grass which is why some people use it or in this case someone may just have seeded using whatever bag they happened to grab.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:23 AM

i was just reading about zoysia. apparantly it's not great for up this way. but it gets nice and green in the summer.

i'm trying to decide what kind of seed to get for my yard. probably fescue.

thoughts?

Old 03-25-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i was just reading about zoysia. apparantly it's not great for up this way. but it gets nice and green in the summer.

i'm trying to decide what kind of seed to get for my yard. probably fescue.

thoughts?
For most of NJ the recommendation is usually Kentucky Blue or a mixture of Tall and Fine-Leaf Fescue.

This site has good info:

New Jersey Grass Seed

I personally used a fescue mix on my lawn to mixed results. I have a heck of a crab grass problem that looks like it's going to need professional help to fix.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
For most of NJ the recommendation is usually Kentucky Blue or a mixture of Tall and Fine-Leaf Fescue.

This site has good info:

New Jersey Grass Seed

I personally used a fescue mix on my lawn to mixed results. I have a heck of a crab grass problem that looks like it's going to need professional help to fix.
i'm looking into organic options now. you can easily rake out the crabgrass, and then start fresh. you mow high right?

i thought i read recently somewhere, don't remember where, that kentucky blue isn't great for us either, though it's often recommended. i'll find it this weekend and come back.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
i'm looking into organic options now. you can easily rake out the crabgrass, and then start fresh. you mow high right?

i thought i read recently somewhere, don't remember where, that kentucky blue isn't great for us either, though it's often recommended. i'll find it this weekend and come back.
I do mow high.

When we bought the place last year, I just did the basics on the outside, so this year is the first year we have the money and time to really tackle the outside and make it the way we want.

I'd have to say that at this point the lawn is 70% crabgrass. I know I can get rid of it myself, but am thinking I'd much rather pay someone to do it and get the lawn going again and then I can maintain it from there.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
I do mow high.

When we bought the place last year, I just did the basics on the outside, so this year is the first year we have the money and time to really tackle the outside and make it the way we want.

I'd have to say that at this point the lawn is 70% crabgrass. I know I can get rid of it myself, but am thinking I'd much rather pay someone to do it and get the lawn going again and then I can maintain it from there.
not a bad idea. i used trugreen last year. if you call them to sign up, then they quote you a price, then say you don't want to pay that so nevermind, they immediately offer you a better price. i think i got 4 treatments last year for $100 as a new customer. then it bumps up to around $40/visit. but you probably have larger property than i do.

they also offer a natural service.

also, scotts crabgrass preventer works really well. my father does his lawn himself. but if you don't have the spreader and you go buy the fertilizer...it costs close to the same as just having the service do it (and you risk over-fertilizing yourself).

i'm just looking to do it more myself this year because i want to use more natural options and less chemicals.

ps. the scotts service was more $$$ than trugreen. i don't know that one is different from the other. nitrogen is nitrogen.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:19 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,062,663 times
Quote:
I do mow high.

You can bring it back but you probably have to hire someone.

Our lawn was practically all crabgrass and with a year of professional landscaping, it's back.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:21 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,062,663 times
Quote:
not a bad idea. i used trugreen last year. if you call them to sign up, then they quote you a price, then say you don't want to pay that so nevermind, they immediately offer you a better price. i think i got 4 treatments last year for $100 as a new customer. then it bumps up to around $40/visit. but you probably have larger property than i do.

they also offer a natural service.

also, scotts crabgrass preventer works really well. my father does his lawn himself. but if you don't have the spreader and you go buy the fertilizer...it costs close to the same as just having the service do it (and you risk over-fertilizing yourself).

i'm just looking to do it more myself this year because i want to use more natural options and less chemicals.

ps. the scotts service was more $$$ than trugreen. i don't know that one is different from the other. nitrogen is nitrogen.
There's no way to get around using "unnatural" chemicals to get rid of crabgrass. They sell products, but I tried them all and nothing worked and I still had a lawn full of crabgrass.

They do have the organic fertilizers, which are fine, but I think are kind of a racket (I use them anyway, I dunno why).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey