U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 10:56 AM

59 posts, read 252,916 times

Advertisements

any recommendations for a home inspector in the west windsor area. just about to make an offer on a single family home. house has septic - do inspectors check this or do we need someone else for this. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 11:29 AM

2,736 posts, read 8,545,601 times
Home Inspector at American Society of Home Inspectors: American Society Of Home Inspectors, ASHI, ASHI Home Inspection, ASHI Inspector

Usually septic inspection is separate in fee, they will handle it. Be sure to ask.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:15 PM

thanks, any personal references that someone has used?

Old 07-02-2008, 03:55 PM

64 posts, read 281,961 times
we just had our home inspection on Monday and used -- RObert Hahn out of East Brunswick -- $435 and that included the radon test! Great guy too! I called 10 different inspectors and he was the best price BY FAR! I also had the report by the time I got in front of my computer that afternoon. 732 672 9859. HIGHLY RECOMMEND HIM!

Old 07-08-2008, 09:31 PM

8 posts, read 40,419 times
I'm also looking for a home inspector. Does anyone else have recommendations?

Old 08-04-2008, 07:05 AM
yCf

106 posts, read 469,265 times
Don't use Robert Hahn from E. Brunswick. He was pretty lousy.

The roof of my new house has some leaks into the attic. Turns out all the vent pipe collars on the roof are worn out and needed to be replaced.

When I was selling, the buyer used this guy:
Joel D. Mizrahi, NJ HI #24GI00018000

I thought he was good because he found things that I thought I concealed very well
He was very nice and professional also.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:19 AM

8 posts, read 40,419 times
Its way too late for more suggestions for me.

I did use Robert Hahn.

His reports and all lab work came back via email which is nice because thats the way I work. He arrived early at the property and started his inspection. It led me to feel like I did not get the whole inspection because I did not experience him performing the whole thing. He was very quick, inspecting the 1000SF condo in probably less than an hour and a half. I did have some trouble getting a hold of him after we were done with the inspection for some follow up questions.

My realtor seemed to like him, she said most of the other guys she has referred and work with do not do the electronic reports and make you wait a few days while they put one together back in the office.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:12 AM

We ended up using Alan Cross from All Star Home Inspections (877) 475-4045. He was extremely good. Spent about 4 hours to inspect a 4000 sq foot home. Detailed electronic report which was all available on-line. Helped us with the process of getting the home owners to defray costs. We would highly recommend him again. thanks for all of your responses.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,752 times
I also used Robert Hahn as my home inspector.

My experience is similar to cyberkni. He arrived on time but was very quick in inspection. The inspection for 2150 SF town house lasted less than hour and a half. He sent the report next day by email and I had to call him 3-4 times to get the radon test report. He also asked me to do additional mold testing in basement which costed me $350. The waterproofing and mold remediation company person was not very conviced with evidence of mold but cleaned it anyway for $150. Also, Robert made a big mistake in radon testing of my house. He told that radon testing is using air sample but report mentioned about charcoal canister as test device. My real estate agent told me about it later and asked to do the radon testing again and results were very different (0.3 versus 2).

I was not happy with inspection since I thought he could have spent more time and radon test part. For mold, I am not yet very sure if it was a good thing to test it or not.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:13 PM

964 posts, read 2,561,771 times
I would recommend Dean Arrington (I think the name of his company is Dean Arrington Associates). He was referred to me by professionals in the industry -- developers, builders, contractors, etc. -- as well as people in the real estate industry. I believe his # is 908-730-8288, but I'll have to check.

First, he was extremely thorough. He looked in, under, around and through things I've never seen other inspectors look at. While doing the inspection, if you like, he will educate you as to what to do, not to do, right, wrong, etc. This in and of itself can be very valuable. Second, related to thorough -- he spends a great deal of time. He inspected a house for me and took several hours. He looked at what would normally be considered a "take for granted" item -- he takes nothing for granted.

Third, he operates on the highest level of professionalism and integrity. He takes pride in his work. He says what he's going to do and then he does what he says.

One item I might consider taking advantage of is something somewhat new -- I think it's called "thermal imaging" or "thermal infrared imaging" or something along those lines. I saw something on TV about it several years ago and asked around. It can potentially identify many "hidden" problems. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or