Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 07:55 AM

45 posts, read 126,038 times

Advertisements

jackson street in hoboken? not the best. try to get a little closer to washington. (but not on washington, too noisy, IMO.) for what you're willing to pay, you should have no problem finding a nice, convenient 2BR in hoboken. not sure about the dog, though, i've never had one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 09:48 AM
ira

657 posts, read 3,931,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatNYC View Post
Thank you both. Can either of you tell me anything about The Juliana Apartments at 600 Jackson Street... the look really nice but I don't know anything about the area.

Is it a 'safe' neighborhood?
Stay away from Jackson Street - that's where all the projects are. Plus, it's too far from everything

Last edited by ira; 07-03-2008 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 07-03-2008, 10:11 AM

36 posts, read 135,666 times
Whoa... thanks for the input on the area. I had a feeling when I saw so many open house and 'we will pay your broker fee' listings that there must be a problem.

Too bad... nice buildings... but as we have learned in Manhattan, you can put a nice building ANYWHERE... it doesn't change the hood.

I'll keep looking.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:55 AM

OK... so I have kinda taken a map and drawn some arbitrary 'squarish rectangle trapeziods'... well call them shapes ... over areas that I think should be ok.

Two initial questions...

How is the immediate area around Van Vorst Park in JC? There seem to be a bunch of 2bd/2ba in the area for aroun $2600...

In Hobo, how far West from the water is still considered a desirable place to live... specifically, could I include Willow an Clinton and points west?

And I am trying to stay in Hobo South, is that good?

>>>Thank you all very much, really. I am going to spend some time lurking in the evenings next week, I am just trying to narrow things down.

The two real estate folks I spoke with all tried deperately to get me to consider that building on Jackson...

Old 07-03-2008, 11:54 AM
ira

657 posts, read 3,931,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatNYC View Post
OK... so I have kinda taken a map and drawn some arbitrary 'squarish rectangle trapeziods'... well call them shapes ... over areas that I think should be ok.

Two initial questions...

In Hobo, how far West from the water is still considered a desirable place to live... specifically, could I include Willow an Clinton and points west?

And I am trying to stay in Hobo South, is that good?

>>>Thank you all very much, really. I am going to spend some time lurking in the evenings next week, I am just trying to narrow things down.

The two real estate folks I spoke with all tried deperately to get me to consider that building on Jackson...
Hoboken is very easy to navigate. It's a grid system, just like the city (not the Battery Park area but the rest of it )

As far as safety, I would stay east of Madison (Willow and Clinton are fine). Also, keep in mind that PATH is on the southeastern tip of Hoboken. So, if you need PATH for commuting, stay south of 10th street. The bus runs on Washington and Clinton (south-north). If bus works for you then it gives you more housing options.

What do you mean by Hobo South?

Old 07-03-2008, 12:07 PM

730 posts, read 2,888,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ira View Post
Since you're not familiar with the area, I would suggest calling a local realtor. Let them show you around - different buildings/neighborhoods, etc. You don't have to rent through them, just use them as your local guide. Sounds a bit unethical but not illegal :-)
That is so lame. Use the persons time and expertise and don't compensate them? Come on.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:37 AM

Ira, thanks. I'm going to do a drive through in Hoboken today... the area you laid out was what I was calling Hobo South. I wanted to be near the southern ferry and Holland tunnel side of town.

Now what about the Van Vorst Park area of JC? Anybody know anything about that?

Old 07-07-2008, 08:48 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,272,299 times
I can vouch for Van Vorst park area. It's a really pretty historic brownstone neighborhood. Very hip, but also very family friendly. This is where I live (right on the park, actually). In my opinion, the brownstone neighborhoods such as this (and hamilton Park, and Paulus Hook) are much nicer and have more character than the sterile hi-rise buildings.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:55 AM

Thanks Tommy!

There are a couple of reno 2bds on the Park that I have been looking at and really wanted to check out. There is another in Paulus Hook that looks nice as well.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:30 AM

45 posts, read 126,038 times
i agree, willow & clinton are both fine in hoboken. if being near the path is important, you will want to stay in the "south" half. if you're willing to take the bus, anything up to 14th is fine. there's also a ferry uptown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey