Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 12:44 PM

36 posts, read 135,666 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My lease is up in the City and after 12 years I am looking for a little bit of a change and a bit cheaper rent.

Would anyone be able to suggest good areas or specific buildings (in JC or HOBO) where I can find a nice 2 bd/2 bath with parking (paid garage is fine)... that allows a BIG DOG?

I am looking to move by the end of the month so any help would be huge!

Thanks in advance.

~RP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 01:03 PM
ira

657 posts, read 3,931,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatNYC View Post
Hi,

My lease is up in the City and after 12 years I am looking for a little bit of a change and a bit cheaper rent.

Would anyone be able to suggest good areas or specific buildings (in JC or HOBO) where I can find a nice 2 bd/2 bath with parking (paid garage is fine)... that allows a BIG DOG?

I am looking to move by the end of the month so any help would be huge!

Thanks in advance.

~RP
What's your budget?

Old 07-02-2008, 01:19 PM

138 posts, read 610,567 times
I had a friend in the Marbella in JC with a big dog. Luxury high-rise building in Newport - pricey.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:24 PM

Default Ooops...

Thank you both for your quick responses.

I see I forgot an important detail. I'd like to keep it under $3000 and preferably 2800 if parking is more than say 200 per spot...

Old 07-02-2008, 01:35 PM
ira

Quote:
Thank you both for your quick responses.

I see I forgot an important detail. I'd like to keep it under $3000 and preferably 2800 if parking is more than say 200 per spot...
In Hoboken (if you want to be close to PATH), you could try 333 River Street. I know they allow dogs, I am not sure if they would allow a really big one. You could call their management company (just google it) and they'll tell you.

I would recommend Hoboken over JC. It's more fun, there is definitely more to do in terms of dining, entertainment, etc.

In JC, Newport is a nice area but kinda boring, especially after dark and on the weekends.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:01 PM

Default More and more...

I am fairly open between Hoboken and JC... I'm not into the frat crowd, but I don't mind it either. I am looking for an area that doesn't resemble the Financial District after the market closes... Dark, empty, nothing to eat, nothing to do... so maybe Hobo is the way to go.

Some friends from my former Firm said the areas around Washington street in Hobo and Grove St plus Liberty Harbor/Colgate Ferry in JC are really nice, fairly safe, and somewhat affordable by Manhattan standards...

Does this seem right?

>>Thank you for you insights BTW, they are appreciated.

~RP

Old 07-02-2008, 02:21 PM

138 posts, read 610,567 times
The areas of Jersey City you mentioned, as well as Newport, definitely don't resemble the Financial District at night. I would have to say Hoboken still has more in the way of nightlife, but Jersey City has plenty to do. You will find restaurants & bars an easy walk away if you lived in any of the areas of Jersey City you mentioned. I just left the Grove St. area after renting there for 3 years, because I bought a house, but I was very happy there. BTW my friend who lived in the Marbella paid $2100 for a one-bedroom, one-bath, but that was about a year or so ago.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:51 PM

Other than Craigslist, can you recommend anywhere that is better than others to find apartments in JC and Hobo?

Craigs is great in Manhattan, I know all the neighborhoods and a lot of buildings... but I am lost across the river.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:07 PM
ira

Quote:
Other than Craigslist, can you recommend anywhere that is better than others to find apartments in JC and Hobo?

Craigs is great in Manhattan, I know all the neighborhoods and a lot of buildings... but I am lost across the river.
Since you're not familiar with the area, I would suggest calling a local realtor. Let them show you around - different buildings/neighborhoods, etc. You don't have to rent through them, just use them as your local guide. Sounds a bit unethical but not illegal :-)

Old 07-03-2008, 07:28 AM

Thank you both. Can either of you tell me anything about The Juliana Apartments at 600 Jackson Street... the look really nice but I don't know anything about the area.

Is it a 'safe' neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey