U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 01:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,825 times

Advertisements

My husband's job is transferring us in the next couple months from the Detroit area in Michigan to the Wayne area in New Jersey. We need to be completely moved by the end of September. Neither one of us has ever been to NJ, so we totally don't know the area. I've looked on CraigsList (with the help of a map lol) for rental houses but everything seems to be apartments. We have a 3 month old baby girl along with a cat and dog-- so we need room and a yard! I would love to find what we have right now (3 bed/1 bath w/ fenced yard and all appliances for under $1200) in Wayne or the surrounding areas.

HELP! You can only get so much info off the internet, it's so hard when you've never been somewhere and don't know what it's like. I need advice/suggestions on the areas, or if anyone has or knows someone that has rental properties. We are wonderful responsible tenants, my husband has a great job that he been at over 5 years, we're looking to stay about 2 years before he gets transfered again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 01:51 PM

392 posts, read 1,400,891 times
Nothing in NJ rents for $100 a month. Did you mean $1000?

Old 07-02-2008, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,825 times
oops, I actually meant under $1200..sorry...

Old 07-02-2008, 02:43 PM

16 posts, read 31,612 times
That's going to be very hard to find especially in the Wayne areas.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:48 PM

2,736 posts, read 8,548,833 times
For that in the Wayne area, unless someone else wants to correct me, you're looking at more like $2000/mo in rent.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:03 PM

526 posts, read 1,223,035 times
Try calling on a REALTOR, most houses that rent, are rented through a REALTOR. Be prepared to pay 1.5 months security deposit, 1st months rent, and most listings want the renter to pay 1 months commission to the REALTORS involved, though that can be negotiated to possibly have the landlord pay the commission.

$1200 is not going to get you anything that you want tough so be prepared to pay more.

I searched the MLS and found only 8 homes availible for rent in and around Wayne for less than $2100. Want to know what they are???

only 8 homes availible for rent under $2100 in Wayne and several other towns.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:03 PM

217 posts, read 1,005,830 times
Wayne 1200/mo 3bd! sorry, barely possible...
but i think you should try Clifton or something Passaic also..

Some of the tows with better rent are quite a distance from wayne. But your not goin to find much thats not an apartment in the NYC metro area... Pets are a problem to, that subtracts your amount of apartments available for you... i dont know what to say besides Good luck, Try raising your price of rent to 1400.. NJ is WAY diffrent with rent then the detroit area unless your in the Newark area.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:59 AM

7,777 posts, read 7,264,503 times
Actually dont call a realtor just yet. A realtor is going to charge you a months rent as a fee so try to avoid it if you can. Note I say IF you can. I grew up in OH so I know what the shock is going to be like.

Forget 1200 a month. If you do manage to find $1200 a month also buy a lotto ticket and hope your extreme luck holds out.

NJ is the ultimate example of "I cant believe I earn what I earn and I am poor" Seriously. Middle class here is $150K a year. Best guess as a floor for rent is about 1700 dollars and that will be WEST of Wayne. Commuting a good distance is normal here. My commute is 48 miles each way to my main job. I work 2 jobs.

Oh and Dasack is right but he forgot one little thing: DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT NEWARK. I am making the assumption you dont like being mugged. Also forget East Orange, Irvington, Paterson, and Elizabeth.

You might try Hopatcong. That is NJs version of safe but "cheap". Schools are not as good as Rockaway and Rockaway is not as good as Mountain Lakes but you are not likely to be shot in Hopatcong.

NJ is the ultimate example of trading distance for money. The starting point is of course NYC. Safe and very close to NYC is very very VERY expensive. As you move away the price drops. I80 is the main artery through the area. I will use exits as markers.
Wayne is roughly exit 52. Wayne is very expensive. Go west to exit 42 Parsippany and it drops just a tiny bit. (They should rename Parsippany to Pakistan.) Exit 39 Denville drops a bit more (nice small town downtown). Exit 35 Rockaway (decent mall) a bit more. Exit 28 Hopatcong a bit more. Much past exit 28 and people just continue all the way to Pennsylvania to save real money. Yes people commute to PA. I work with a guy who carpools with 2 others. 85 Miles EACH WAY to Bethlehem PA. His 260K PA house would be 600K in Rockaway and 800K in Wayne. He suffers but the rest of his family has a much better standard of living for it.

NJ is not all negs BTW tho it seem like I am saying that. The cost is a huge downer.
Most public schools are quite usable except in the places I told you not to live in anyway.
NW Jersey has freaking huge very very nice state parks.
Gas is cheap and it is full serve.
The economy, though the locals whine about it, is 9999999999999 times better than the lower Great Lakes area.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:43 AM

5,079 posts, read 7,249,253 times
You may want to buy right now especially if you are staying a couple of years. It's a buyer's market right now and in a couple of years, it will go up again.
Try Somerset County as well. Good schools, safe neighborhoods. You can pick up good deals for housing and the commute shouldn't be too bad.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey