U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,563 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone-

I asked for some help before with finding a place to live for two 24 year old guys who work in Linden. We were trying to find a nice place, close to public transportation and that were generally safe areas. We found the River Place apartments in Rahway and they seem great. We are less familiar with Jersey City, but a friend suggested checking the area out around Journal Square. It seems more expensive, but maybe a better night-life? Help and personal experiences especially welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 02:23 PM

16 posts, read 31,608 times
Rahway is a pretty good town, kind of quiet and it's closer to Linden. Personally I think the River place apartments are overpriced. As for Jersey City, you have to be careful. there are some parts that are not so pleasing. You are right about Journal Square it is quite expensive and that's because of how close it is to NYC. Personally If I were to choose, I would go with Rahway..you can have peace and quiet and still be close enough for a short drive to the night-life.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:40 PM

1,110 posts, read 3,810,552 times
Rahway..Never been there..but Ive lived in JC and wouldnt recommend it. 1 mile from JSQ. Yes, expensive and still a walk to the path from heights. Good luck!

Old 07-02-2008, 02:43 PM

209 posts, read 1,552,496 times
I would check out both areas - the character of the towns is very different (Rahway being more a suburban town with a town center and Jersey City being much more urban and dense). JC will be more expensive given its proximity to NYC (especially for the safer areas), and remember you would have to connect to NJTransit in Newark if you'll be using public transit.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:46 PM

2,736 posts, read 8,546,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi4601 View Post
Rahway is a pretty good town, kind of quiet and it's closer to Linden. Personally I think the River place apartments are overpriced. As for Jersey City, you have to be careful. there are some parts that are not so pleasing. You are right about Journal Square it is quite expensive and that's because of how close it is to NYC. Personally If I were to choose, I would go with Rahway..you can have peace and quiet and still be close enough for a short drive to the night-life.

+1 for Rahway, and not necessarily for driving to night life either. There are good bars in Rahway, and you can always hop on the train to NYC, then stumble home drunk; no need for a desi or risk of a dui!

Old 07-02-2008, 06:07 PM

87 posts, read 315,001 times
I have lived in both, and I would say Rahway. I know some people really like J.C., but I never really felt safe (lived in Hamilton Park), especially after my car was broken into. Conversely, I've always felt safe in Rahway, even when walking back a mile home from the train station after midnight. Don't get me wrong, both have their challenges, but I really like the direction Rahway's redevelopment is going in. And even if the River Place apartments are overpriced, at least you'll be close to the train and in the middle of a hopefully soon-to-be-bustling downtown.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:44 PM

1,042 posts, read 3,461,948 times
Looks like Rahway is a hit here. You could also look into Skyview in Rahway, it is a brand new Condo, Hotel, midrise, there are a few rentals available. You could DM me if you need more info.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:14 PM

27 posts, read 88,062 times
I have a beautiful new apartment in Linden lol

Old 07-09-2008, 06:30 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,869,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
+1 for Rahway, and not necessarily for driving to night life either. There are good bars in Rahway, and you can always hop on the train to NYC, then stumble home drunk; no need for a desi or risk of a dui!
Rahway of course

And if you are going to take the train to the city you can
Stop at the Waiting room for a drink while you wait for the train....

Oops, I Mean don't stop at the Waiting room because you will
wind up missing your train
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or