Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 05:30 PM

69 posts, read 313,059 times

Advertisements

Both are solid towns. Many people favor Ridgewood because it is seen as a higher-end town. It does have very expensive areas (multimillion $ homes) that you won't find in Westwood. Both have nice downtown areas. As another posted said, Hillsdale might be another option to add to your list. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 02:01 PM

88,563 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort2978 View Post
I would go with a smaller home in Ridgewood NJ. You can't beat the town and you can't beat the schools. To search for homes in Ridgewood or Westwood, the best website to use is bergencountyhomesearcher.com
It's been four years since the OP posted the question. Call me crazy but I'm willing to bet they've found a place to live by now.

I am curious as to what motivated you to dredge up a four-year-old post, though. Guessing that perhaps YOU are bergencountyhomesearcher.com

Old 06-18-2013, 07:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,893 times
Default Westwood vs Ridgewood

Ridgewood has people with higher "net worth" living there.
Schools somewhat better.
Hospital expansion is not supported by people in town and will be an issue.
Houses tend to be old with "character"...or else people tear
down and build those poseur houses.
Town is laid out awfully. You can literally get stuck on Maple
Street through 4 light changes.
Library is amazing and center of everything...even band concert
outside there in Summer.
Graydon Pool has some good aspects and some bad. It's a novelty.

Westwood has more of a mix of socio-economic population.
Schools may be slightly less rigorous than Ridgewood but many
people send their kids to private schools (HS) from Ridgewood
and Westwood anyway.
Hospital is new and improved and approved of by the residents.
Houses are newer in Westwood. More variety of housing.
Downtown is laid out beautifully. Plenty of parking. Great
stores: Gap, Chico's, Jos A. Banks and even a five and dime
(like grandparents had!).
Library is tucked away behind the train station (something
has to be done about that)

So, hope my portrayal is fair. There's something for everybody
in each town.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:23 AM

1,559 posts, read 2,150,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by answergrape View Post
Ridgewood has people with higher "net worth" living there.
Schools somewhat better.
Hospital expansion is not supported by people in town and will be an issue.
Houses tend to be old with "character"...or else people tear
down and build those poseur houses.
Town is laid out awfully. You can literally get stuck on Maple
Street through 4 light changes.
Library is amazing and center of everything...even band concert
outside there in Summer.
Graydon Pool has some good aspects and some bad. It's a novelty.

Westwood has more of a mix of socio-economic population.
Schools may be slightly less rigorous than Ridgewood but many
people send their kids to private schools (HS) from Ridgewood
and Westwood anyway.
Hospital is new and improved and approved of by the residents.
Houses are newer in Westwood. More variety of housing.
Downtown is laid out beautifully. Plenty of parking. Great
stores: Gap, Chico's, Jos A. Banks and even a five and dime
(like grandparents had!).
Library is tucked away behind the train station (something
has to be done about that)

So, hope my portrayal is fair. There's something for everybody
in each town.
It's a 4 year old thread but thanks for contributing and welcome to City-Data!

Old 06-18-2013, 08:01 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,666,272 times
I love old threads!!!! They give me an opportunity to vent!!!Having studied real estate, read peoples' posts and spent a fair amount of time in all of these towns in Bergen ,Eastern Passaic and Essex county I can say this...THEY ARE ALL THE SAME!!! Sure some have slightly better downtowns or lakes or pools or marginally better schools or a better commute into NYC or slightly lower taxes but there is really no difference except for the ones we make up in our head to make us feel like we are in the perfect town. Since you mentioned Bergen, here are the towns I feel fall into the mostly the same category.

Cresskill
Tenafly
Demarest
Closter
Paramus
River Edge
Oradell
Emerson
Washington twp
Park Ridge
Haworth
Westwood
Hillsdale
Wyckoff
Ridgewood
Franklin Lakes
Oakland
Midland Park
Glen Rock
Hillsdale
Woodcliff Lake
Saddle River
Upper Saddle River
Middle Saddle River (just seeing if you are still paying attention)
Ho Ho Kus
Allendale
Ramsey
Mahwah
Oakland
Montvale
Fair Lawn
Waldwick
Any other town in Bergen county with good schools and a relatively small population...

Now people will always say this town is way nicer or that town is so snobby and on and on and on...it's maddening and mostly anecdotal. Since you spend 90% of your time inside your house and on your own property finding the perfect HOUSE not the perfect town is a much more productive pursuit IMO, especially when you are pulling from a pool of towns that are all among the best in the state/nation.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:27 AM

1,559 posts, read 2,150,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
I love old threads!!!! They give me an opportunity to vent!!!Having studied real estate, read peoples' posts and spent a fair amount of time in all of these towns in Bergen ,Eastern Passaic and Essex county I can say this...THEY ARE ALL THE SAME!!! Sure some have slightly better downtowns or lakes or pools or marginally better schools or a better commute into NYC or slightly lower taxes but there is really no difference except for the ones we make up in our head to make us feel like we are in the perfect town. Since you mentioned Bergen, here are the towns I feel fall into the mostly the same category.

Now people will always say this town is way nicer or that town is so snobby and on and on and on...it's maddening and mostly anecdotal. Since you spend 90% of your time inside your house and on your own property finding the perfect HOUSE not the perfect town is a much more productive pursuit IMO, especially when you are pulling from a pool of towns that are all among the best in the state/nation.
This! Couldn't have said it better.

I also got down to Middle Saddle River so you should rep me

Old 06-18-2013, 10:13 AM

88,563 posts, read 84,755,078 times

LMAO.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:40 AM

48 posts, read 109,232 times
I am never one to get hung up on school rankings, but with Ridgewood falling and Westwood climbing in recent years, the difference in their rank is actually not as large as it once was. And even then the difference was probably small, with many towns in that area offering solid public educations.

I grew up in Ridgewood and still like the town. However, in recent years I have discovered that I actually prefer Westwood's downtown. Ridgewood is very congested and parking is such a pain. Westwood has all the good stuff without the hassel.

As for Washington Township, that town is actually nearly a part of Westwood. They share Westwood's high school. Plus, Westwood's downtown is as walkable from much of Washington Township as it is for most of Westwood itself. If you see a house in Washington Township, I would not hesistate based on the town name difference. In the end, your experience would basically be that of living in Westwood and it is a great town too.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:19 PM

24 posts, read 85,000 times
Ridgewood without a doubt. It literally has everything... If not, perhaps you can try the Northern Valley Region? This area includes Northvale, Norwood, Harrington Park, and Old Tappan. It may be slightly cheaper than Ridgewood and is still an exceptional place to live--not to mention near the city!

Old 06-19-2013, 08:22 PM

667 posts, read 1,744,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post

Cresskill
Tenafly
Demarest
Closter
Paramus
River Edge
Oradell
Emerson
Washington twp
Park Ridge
Haworth
Westwood
Hillsdale
Wyckoff
Ridgewood
Franklin Lakes
Oakland
Midland Park
Glen Rock
Hillsdale
Woodcliff Lake
Saddle River
Upper Saddle River
Ho Ho Kus
Allendale
Ramsey
Mahwah
Oakland
Montvale
Fair Lawn
Waldwick
Any other town in Bergen county with good schools and a relatively small population...

While I don't disagree with what you have to say, I would also add that there is nothing wrong with NOT being able to afford what you call a 'small perceived' difference. Fair Lawn has little in common with Saddle River for example. But there IS NOTHING wrong with that. I always see folks on CD needing to put down other towns in order to prove their point (not saying you specifically btw).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey