U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 04:25 PM

27 posts, read 88,068 times

Advertisements

After mayor elections which way do you think Linden New Jersey went?
Up or down. I have hard deciding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 06:11 AM

131 posts, read 520,393 times
Linden is nothing but going going down very quickly. Some parts are still decent but its only a matter of little more time but whole city is going down. Schools are getting worse, crime, and gangs are spreading farther into whats left good of Linden.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:14 AM

525 posts, read 1,786,802 times
Down and quick. Linden used to be a nice town made up of hard working Polish and Blacks. Those days are gone. A lot of illegal and white trash have made their way into Linden and neighborhoods have gone downhill quick. I was in the Quick Check on Wood Ave. last week and, man, it could have been a scene from "Deliverance." Ghetto and country all rolled into one.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:16 PM

1,538 posts, read 5,132,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
Down and quick. Linden used to be a nice town made up of hard working Polish and Blacks. Those days are gone. A lot of illegal and white trash have made their way into Linden and neighborhoods have gone downhill quick. I was in the Quick Check on Wood Ave. last week and, man, it could have been a scene from "Deliverance." Ghetto and country all rolled into one.
my friend teaches in the linden public school system and has been telling me for a few years now that the town is going downhill. when she first started in the district she really liked the tight-knit, blue-collar feel of the town but she says some of the rougher elements of nearby slums are moving in. this means that there are more problem kids and uninvolved/uninterested parents to deal with nowadays.

just wondering, but where do you think the white trash moving into linden are coming from? i was under the impression that the only new white residents in town were polish immigrants, and that even they weren't really moving in anymore (while the existing ones are moving on to greener pastures).

Old 07-03-2008, 03:05 PM

824 posts, read 1,850,243 times
And, exactly which town in New Jersey have you seen that's gotten "better"?

Old 07-03-2008, 04:15 PM

45 posts, read 185,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
There are a handful of towns in NJ that are building a lot of new construction and turning themselves around. Long Branch, Seaside Heights, South Amboy, and Downtown Jersey City are ones that come to mind, and I'm sure there's a lot more. Not *every* town is going downhill.

To answer the OP's question - Linden was never exactly a beautiful town, but it was a friendly working class town up until 5-10 years ago. Now, seedy types from Elizabeth, Roselle, and Newark seem to be slowing creeping themselves into Linden, which in turn is causing an increase in crime. It's not a total slum yet, but it's on it's way there. However, there are still some nice areas left in Linden, such as the Sunnyside area.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:24 PM

824 posts, read 1,850,243 times
I accept the rebuke and stand corrected.

While I disagree with one or two of the towns mentioned as improving, I accept your point that there at least some.

Again, I accept the correction and agree. Thank you for pointing that out.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
my friend teaches in the linden public school system and has been telling me for a few years now that the town is going downhill. when she first started in the district she really liked the tight-knit, blue-collar feel of the town but she says some of the rougher elements of nearby slums are moving in. this means that there are more problem kids and uninvolved/uninterested parents to deal with nowadays.

just wondering, but where do you think the white trash moving into linden are coming from? i was under the impression that the only new white residents in town were polish immigrants, and that even they weren't really moving in anymore (while the existing ones are moving on to greener pastures).
No, the Polish immigrants are moving out (that's a big reason why the town is changing for the worse). I honestly don't know where the white trash is coming from. I'll just say that I felt like I was in one of those seedy Shore town during a summer weekend.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
- Jersey City
- East Brunswick
- Perth Amboy

Old 07-05-2008, 05:32 AM

1,538 posts, read 5,132,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
No, the Polish immigrants are moving out (that's a big reason why the town is changing for the worse). I honestly don't know where the white trash is coming from. I'll just say that I felt like I was in one of those seedy Shore town during a summer weekend.
that's a shame. it's hard for a town to remain stable when it loses its middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey