Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 08:25 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,919,136 times

Advertisements

Why not ask your grandmother? What makes you think you will get a sound answer here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 09:13 PM

166 posts, read 610,019 times
My grandmother does not leave her neighborhood very much and I do not have all that much contact with my relatives that still live in Trenton. Hence why I am asking here.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:06 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,919,136 times
What would make you think that people on here would know better?
It's hard to take you seriously with a thread called "where my Ricans at?"

Old 07-04-2008, 06:40 AM

15 posts, read 46,063 times
Que pasa Loco. I am not in trenton itself but I am at the outskirts of town. I think I would've stayed back in TN this state is boring no wonder I am moving.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:46 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,523,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
Well, 80% white in what neighborhood? Not where I grew up. EVERYONE was some shade of tan or brown. In grade school we called it a big pretzel. All brown with some white sprinkles on top. lol
RobRiguez, that's true, but we're in a diverse state. There are huge swaths of this country where they've never seen anything darker than Martin Sheen.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:13 AM

1 posts, read 3,809 times
I grew up in Trenton during that time. On the same street. Trenton was a wonderful place, truely diverse. The Puerto Rican community was prevalent at the time because we along with the small group of Cubans were the only Latinos in town. Most everyone's parents worked in the factories (GM, Bayer, GE, US Steel, etc.). We had social clubs, local pubs, corner stores, all owned by Boriqua's coming in from PR. We played in the streets until 9pm. Our community was close nit, low key and policed our own. Trenton began to fall apart about 1979 when all the facotries began to close, later in the 1980's city taxes were levied, properties began to decline. Puerto Ricans worked hard to assimulate and moved on as the children of that era began graduating from school (High and College) and wanting more. Most parents of that time returned to PR for awhile and then returned to the outskirts to be close to their grandchildren.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:35 AM

825 posts, read 3,152,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonXJC View Post
Then "screem" what you like, "Where the jews at?" , "Where the Italians at?" etc.... I don't have a problem with it. I remember a thread on this board asking "Where have all the italians have gone?" , no one through a fit. Go ahead show off your patriotism or ethnicity, just keep any bigotry to yourself. Then you'll hear "screeming".
I actually started a thread called "Italian-American Towns in New Jersey" because I would looking for old-school Italian communities. I received many helpful posts on that thread helping me in my search, and I'm more than happy to help this person find a nice Puerto Rican neighborhood.

I myself, am interested in different ethnicities and cultures. I like Latin culture a lot, especially Puerto Ricans. I feel that it is good to be proud of your ethnic heritage (although there are many posters on this forum who have critisized me for that). But they are all just a bunch of condescending people who think they are sophisticated (that's the only phrase I can think to describe them without using vulgar language).

Anyway back to the point. What I noticed in my search for Italian neighborhoods is that Italian-Americans become absorbed into American culture, forgetting their roots. That's why Italian neighborhoods dissapear. Puerto Ricans though have a tremendous amount of pride, and they do not let their neighborhoods die. I think that the number one ancestry in New York City is Puerto Rican, especially in the Bronx. But if you're looking for Puerto Rican communities in New Jersey, Newark is the most obvious place. There's a good number of Puerto Ricans there, as well as in nearby Belleville, which used to be a huge Italian community.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:07 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,000,227 times
NJ's Puerto Rican population has decreased a lot in recent years. Paterson, Passaic, and Elizabeth have lost a good amount of their Puerto Rican populations to nearby suburbs or other states. Puerto Ricans in Passaic are virtually non-existent. And don't be fooled by the so-called Puerto Rican Restaurants in these cities. They are run by Mexicans/Central Americans who cook substandard versions of Puerto Rican cuisine. I only now of one authentic Puerto Rican restaurant in Paterson and the owner is selling and moving to another state this year.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:00 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,870,958 times
Vineland's got plenty of Puerto Ricans

Old 01-19-2010, 03:22 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,920,233 times
Hartford CT - highest concentration in the Northeast. Trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey