U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 09:59 AM

12 posts, read 37,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Dont like that place. Its too big and the shoppers there for the most part seem like they are a bit too trendy/metro sexual for me....
I agree .. Plus parking is always terrible there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 01:44 PM

1,538 posts, read 5,133,012 times
other than during the holiday season, parking at gsp is actually not that bad if you know where to look. it seems like most people who aren't familiar with the mall go for the first deck or lot they see after getting off the highway, and then circle around that specific area without really checking out the entire parking lot.

i read somewhere that mall shoppers generally tend to use the same entrances and exits on every visit. when you go to a specific mall many times over a period of years, you start to develop a pattern and a preferred ingress/egress. but with the gsp undergoing multiple expansions over the past 18 years, those patterns get disrupted, and you have to adjust and find something that works for you.

when i was younger, i used to exclusively use the rt. 17 south entrance/exit near where chili's is now located. then i started using the rt. 4 entrance after the '96 expansion. now i always use side streets to get there.

also, when the mall expanded in '96, it seems that a lot of people weren't aware that the new western wing or the attached parking deck even existed. so it was pretty easy to get parking on that side for a few years. now that the new wing with the multiplex has opened up, a lot of people (esp. teenagers) seem to want to park in that area underneath the theaters.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:52 PM

433 posts, read 1,442,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
when i was younger, i used to exclusively use the rt. 17 south entrance/exit near where chili's is now located. then i started using the rt. 4 entrance after the '96 expansion. now i always use side streets to get there.
I'm sure all the local area residents will be thrilled to hear you're recommending using the side streets.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbnj07 View Post
I'm sure all the local area residents will be thrilled to hear you're recommending using the side streets.
i didn't say which side streets...

Old 07-03-2008, 05:43 PM

272 posts, read 1,034,994 times
A friend of mines mother was mugged at 2:00 pm in the afternoon in the Garden State Plaza parking lot. This was while walking back to her car from shopping. The place has a lot of crime, especially around the holidays.

Old 07-04-2008, 05:15 AM

16 posts, read 78,021 times
hate GSP. I used to LOVE it, but now with the AMC theater there, it is a bunch of zombied teenagers walking through all the time, parking is crazy and if you want to just get something quickly.. no dice, it takes to long to get parking and walk where you need to go. I made switch to Riverside sq and now that is a nightmare with parking and crowds due to the restaurants. I LOVED the bergen mall for my great bargains and outlets, it was a total dump, but I could just run in and out and got great steals, now with Lowes and Whole Foods, Target etc.. we are looking at another zoo!

Old 07-04-2008, 06:26 AM

4,334 posts, read 11,936,465 times
Default Gsp

I miss the mall. I moved to Florida 3 years ago. I am due to go home to Twp of Washington and Franklin Lakes for a family visit. Grew up there since 5 years old. I remember working for Pants Place and Canadians stores. I was their Interior and Exterior display person. with my sisiter. I remember doing the windows for those stores when it was and outdoor mall! They had the pretzel guy kiosk selling hot pretzels in the freezing cold weather. What a great place to have grown up! I also remember the Drive-In Movie theatre as a child, which once sat on the GSP lot many years ago.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:55 AM
b75

950 posts, read 3,121,621 times
I was actually going to ask which ones - new to the area...could you pm me & let me know?
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
i didn't say which side streets...

Old 07-07-2008, 09:28 AM

83 posts, read 237,518 times
Default Bergan Mall Redux

When I was a young kid (early 70s) and living in Ridgewood, I remember going to the Bergan mall with my mother. If I recall correctly, it was one of the first ultra high end enclosed malls of the era, with a Lord and Taylor anchor store (dont recall the other one).... It also had an FAO Schwartz toy store, which I always had to visit when I went there. Always seemed cavernous to me. I briefly stopped in there in the early 90's just for a look, and aside from looking much smaller, it was very run down and dingy looking, with low end stores and lots of vacancy......

Seems the enclosed mall, that style in particular, is going the way of the dodo... cant say that is completely a bad thing, but it is kinda sad to see such a once vibrant place slowly rot away tho. Seems that the new wave of higher end malls is the outdoor 'fake street/town' model.

diogenesNY

Old 07-07-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogenesNY View Post
When I was a young kid (early 70s) and living in Ridgewood, I remember going to the Bergan mall with my mother. If I recall correctly, it was one of the first ultra high end enclosed malls of the era, with a Lord and Taylor anchor store (dont recall the other one).... It also had an FAO Schwartz toy store, which I always had to visit when I went there. Always seemed cavernous to me. I briefly stopped in there in the early 90's just for a look, and aside from looking much smaller, it was very run down and dingy looking, with low end stores and lots of vacancy......
i think you're referring to the fashion center, not the bergen mall, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or