Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 08:29 PM

5 posts, read 14,381 times

Advertisements

So my husband got a job on Broadway and right now we're looking to move to NJ, but we need an honest answer on good areas (we have two kids ages 3 and 6) and the shortest public transit to the theater district. We're looking for 2000 or less a month for rent. How are Jersey City, Journal Square, Union City, Hoboken? Also someone told me the transit closes early to NJ and I know that some of his shows will end late-please advise!
Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 01:54 PM

anyone?

Old 07-03-2008, 08:09 PM

please?

Old 07-04-2008, 02:02 AM

214 posts, read 560,033 times
NJ Transit has train stations from Edison to Newark that would make his commute by train anywhere from 50 mins to 15 mins.

From what I remember this is the amount of time it took from these stations to get to Penn Station.

Edison 50 mins
Metuchen 45 mins
Metropark 40 mins
Rahway 35 mins
Elizabeth 30 mins
Linden 20 mins
Newark 15 mins

The above times might be off by about 5 mins depending on how the service is running.

But you can live in any of the towns that surround those areas.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:54 AM

16 posts, read 90,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beccheck View Post
So my husband got a job on Broadway and right now we're looking to move to NJ, but we need an honest answer on good areas (we have two kids ages 3 and 6) and the shortest public transit to the theater district. We're looking for 2000 or less a month for rent. How are Jersey City, Journal Square, Union City, Hoboken? Also someone told me the transit closes early to NJ and I know that some of his shows will end late-please advise!
Thanks in advance!!!
The commute from Jersey Cit, Journal Sq ( which is Jersey City and Hoboken are all relatively easy into Midtown. Your DH can take the PATH train into the city and then switch where he needs. They run all the time or until very late in the morning like 1 or 2? Don't know about Union City and certain areas of Jersey City are not desirable or places to raise kids. Hoboken is great spot, lots of young families there, but I think it might be hard pressed to find rent for under $2000, I assume you would need at least a 2 BDR.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:39 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,458,842 times
Quote:
Thanks in advance!!!
The closer to the city The more the rent
look a little futher out and the rents go down

Edisonwinter has mentioned and gave you
the approx times from each area

Good luck

Old 07-09-2008, 11:07 AM

45 posts, read 126,002 times
the PATH runs 24 hours a day... i'm pretty sure all other trains and buses stop running at some point.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:39 AM

209 posts, read 1,683,557 times
True, the PATH is the only train system (other than the NYC subway) that runs 24 hours. The only NJ Transit line with anything close to that is the NE Corridor line, which has late trains and early trains so there is only a gap of 3 hours or so when the trains stop running (from about 1-4 am or 1:30 to 4:30 depending on direction).

However there are NJT buses that run to some areas, like Weehawken, overnight.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:51 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
Quote:
Thanks in advance!!!
I wouldn't recommend any of the places you've noted if you've got kids- the public schools in all of those towns suck. Unless you can afford private school, you really need to look further out on the rail lines- everyone is "looking for a short commute to Manhattan", but unless you've got big $$, it's not reality.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:46 PM

4 posts, read 10,908 times
Are you interested in Maywood? About 45 minutes to Port Authority by bus, or 45 to downtown via train and PATH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey