Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 10:12 PM

217 posts, read 1,143,345 times

Advertisements

ON THIS SITE I SEE PEOPLE SAY THEY THINK HACKENSACK AS ONE OF THE MOST DANGEROUS CITIES IN JERSEY.

I lived here all my life and only heard like 4 stories in this city of a murder of my 16 years (i know im young). nothin really bad happens.. Im glad i grew up here rather then a diffrent yuppy town in bergen, its mixed, has many resturants and entertainment, and its surrounded by malls. Good rent to for Bergen.

The crime is'nt much of an issue in hackensack, why do i hear people on here name this city as one of the worst towns of jersey. I dont know it seems ridiculous, you have to be a real wuss to think so.

And i went to school here all my life and i loved it, no problems at all, very mixed and no singled out minority in the school.

I think it's because people arent used to a mixed town in Bergen County, so when they see a high population of a race other then white a lot of people will all the sudden assume its a bad city. And im an Italian/Black, so i get the both of best worlds of ciew points... which it's not in Hackensack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 10:18 PM

195 posts, read 646,299 times
Hackensack is a poor city

Old 07-02-2008, 10:18 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,304,170 times
Hackensack is being invaded by illegal immigrants

yes it is do not deny it

I drive through the local streets on my way to work

Since the demographics are changing, many people are upset and leaving

Old 07-02-2008, 10:21 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,918,134 times
Still a hometown vibe for many working class people. Demo obviously matters to some but if like an urban vibe w/o living in a city- it can fit the bill.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Hackensack is being invaded by illegal immigrants

yes it is do not deny it

I drive through the local streets on my way to work

Since the demographics are changing, many people are upset and leaving
Well yes if you want o pick out the city of bergen, Hackensack is the worst. and it has immagrants coming in alot. But it is bergen county! Hacnkensack is not dangerous, it has plenty of nice areas.. been up on summit ave. aka dr.'s lane... dont try to tell me i dont know.. but what i do know is that it is not dangerous, maybe compared to bergen it is, but all and all its a nice town, its blue collar by the way. Englewood maybe is a diffrent story you can check on, but hackensack is not dangerous.

And pffh not much people are leavin because of demographics, its always been a mixed city.. Many white people movin here because here not dumb to rent out a ridiculously priced apartment somewhere in northern bergen county.

Gotta be kiddin me if you guys think its a ghetto.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:27 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,015,407 times
i agree with the OP - hackensack isn't a bad area in general. it's very diverse and has a wider range of incomes than the average bergen county town, which is probably a big reason why some people badmouth it. there are a couple of run-down pockets, but nothing remotely approaching the level of true slums like camden, newark, or irvington. besides, the sketchier areas of hackensack are actually quite contained - so much so that one block might be shady, the next one very respectable, and the one past that extremely nice. just drive west up the hill from the corner of central and railroad avenues (hackensack's so-called ghetto) to prospect or summit aves to see the sudden change from poor/working class to middle class. then make a right onto prospect or summit, where you'll see the expensive high-rises or old mansions. or you could head westbound on anderson going away from the train station. while there are often guys loitering in front of the station and the liquor store, as soon as you cross linden st, the area becomes quiet and tree-lined with some nice old homes and apartments, getting better as you go up the hill.

the point is, it's not fair to paint hackensack with a broad stroke, because even though it's a small city, it has a lot of different neighborhoods, each with its own character, demographics, housing stock, and identity.

the overall per capita income of hackensack is actually very similar to old bridge, dumont, or hawthorne. the difference is that the incomes are more widely dispersed in hackensack than those other towns, which are more consistently middle class. and hackensack isn't close to the poorest town in bergen. that distinction goes to fairview, whose per capita income is $8,000 less than hackensack (which is a significant difference). garfield, lodi, elmwood park, pal park, north arlington, lyndhurst, wallington, ridgefield, ridgefield park, little ferry, etc all have lower per capita incomes than hackensack. now, none of those are the elite towns of bergen, but some of them are quite respectable blue collar/middle class areas. it goes to show that hackensack, imperfect as it may be, isn't this teeming slum that some people want you to believe. the reality is more complex.

and hackensack is not a dangerous town in general. yes, there is higher crime and a seedier aura in the more marginal neighborhoods, but rarely is it serious/violent. i do remember an incident from a few years ago when some kid shot his friend, then got gunned down by the police. obviously that was a terrible incident, but part of the reason it was so shocking was because that level of violent crime isn't typical. in camden, that's just another day on the streets, but in hackensack, it's a big deal.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:09 AM

72 posts, read 281,275 times
I have nothing bad to say about Hackensack, it's an OK place to live in Bergen County. It's a good mix of working class people, and yes, new immigrants tend to be working class. Just like Italians and the Irish once were. It's part of a melting pot. Shoot me if I like diversity. It brings great food to the area, shops, and "culture".

But I wonder how some of you can tell who's an illegal or who's not just by their "look"? I know illegal white Canadians in the US, damn them! LOL

Old 07-03-2008, 08:19 AM

777 posts, read 2,368,278 times
Default nickname

There is a reason why its also known as 'Crackensack'

Old 07-03-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
i agree with the OP - hackensack isn't a bad area in general. it's very diverse and has a wider range of incomes than the average bergen county town, which is probably a big reason why some people badmouth it. there are a couple of run-down pockets, but nothing remotely approaching the level of true slums like camden, newark, or irvington. besides, the sketchier areas of hackensack are actually quite contained - so much so that one block might be shady, the next one very respectable, and the one past that extremely nice. just drive west up the hill from the corner of central and railroad avenues (hackensack's so-called ghetto) to prospect or summit aves to see the sudden change from poor/working class to middle class. then make a right onto prospect or summit, where you'll see the expensive high-rises or old mansions. or you could head westbound on anderson going away from the train station. while there are often guys loitering in front of the station and the liquor store, as soon as you cross linden st, the area becomes quiet and tree-lined with some nice old homes and apartments, getting better as you go up the hill.

the point is, it's not fair to paint hackensack with a broad stroke, because even though it's a small city, it has a lot of different neighborhoods, each with its own character, demographics, housing stock, and identity.

the overall per capita income of hackensack is actually very similar to old bridge, dumont, or hawthorne. the difference is that the incomes are more widely dispersed in hackensack than those other towns, which are more consistently middle class. and hackensack isn't close to the poorest town in bergen. that distinction goes to fairview, whose per capita income is $8,000 less than hackensack (which is a significant difference). garfield, lodi, elmwood park, pal park, north arlington, lyndhurst, wallington, ridgefield, ridgefield park, little ferry, etc all have lower per capita incomes than hackensack. now, none of those are the elite towns of bergen, but some of them are quite respectable blue collar/middle class areas. it goes to show that hackensack, imperfect as it may be, isn't this teeming slum that some people want you to believe. the reality is more complex.

and hackensack is not a dangerous town in general. yes, there is higher crime and a seedier aura in the more marginal neighborhoods, but rarely is it serious/violent. i do remember an incident from a few years ago when some kid shot his friend, then got gunned down by the police. obviously that was a terrible incident, but part of the reason it was so shocking was because that level of violent crime isn't typical. in camden, that's just another day on the streets, but in hackensack, it's a big deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1975 View Post
There is a reason why its also known as 'Crackensack'
To PHbergen, thank you for knowing and getting what i mean and explaining it way better than me.

And Kevin... you can make a lot of rhymes with hackensack, i know i heard whackensack, hashandcrack, and crackensack... but every town has there nickname.. its only because it rhymes. dosnt mean anything.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:21 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,558,334 times
I was at a Hackensack Bus Stop some months ago and it also contained Human Poop - nope I'm not kidding. Someone told me it was probably a "homeless druggie" that did it there. Needless to say I had to wait for a bus at least 200 feet away because of the awful stench.\

Also the people that know the town at that bus stop didn't have really any positive things to say about Hackensack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey