U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 06:41 PM

5,402 posts, read 5,222,010 times

Advertisements

boney89, flooding hasn't been too bad, thank you for asking. The past two weeks with the rain and snow So. Green St. has been flooded, but so have all of the coastal areas. Our school situation is a terrible issue that has to be resolved. It is rumored that in the Fall the HS will be closed so that the work can be completed. Trailers are going to be put up to take the over flow of students, as they are going to be schooled in the Jr. High. We have 4 going to the schools so we stay on top of the news!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 10:18 PM

188 posts, read 114,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
boney89, flooding hasn't been too bad, thank you for asking. The past two weeks with the rain and snow So. Green St. has been flooded, but so have all of the coastal areas. Our school situation is a terrible issue that has to be resolved. It is rumored that in the Fall the HS will be closed so that the work can be completed. Trailers are going to be put up to take the over flow of students, as they are going to be schooled in the Jr. High. We have 4 going to the schools so we stay on top of the news!
Im glad went easy on you guys im looking forward to return to area especially i miss vist tuckerton port idk how that happened. Well seems like something is going with schools at least.Kids are happy with schools there as friend wise no bullying etc? Any cirme? Im wonder how is environment to live there.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:23 AM

22,698 posts, read 21,741,083 times
I liked Tuckerton Seaport. The docent in the lighthouse building was very interesting.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:53 PM

10 posts, read 4,528 times
LEH is definitely an area to pass on. There is nothing there. I lived in Manahawkin from 2002 to 2014 then moved back up north once I got settled in my career. It is a blue collar town but the town is just backwards. There isn't any future development/economic growth. That's taken place in Manahawkin. All of the retail is in Manahawkin.

Once you get off Rt. 72 and head down Rt. 9 south - just look around. Old rotting houses/buildings from the 1900s just decaying. Former restaurants that have shut down and former Wawas that were converted into some knockoff. Aside from that, west of Rt. 9 is just the Pinelands - it's really depressing.

On top of that - there isn't any white collar jobs down there. No offense to anyone living there but the people there are definitely a different breed. It's a slower way of life down there - driving super-sized trucks, having a lot of tattoos, wearing boots and dressed in dirty carhartt gear.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:56 PM

188 posts, read 114,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsJim89 View Post
LEH is definitely an area to pass on. There is nothing there. I lived in Manahawkin from 2002 to 2014 then moved back up north once I got settled in my career. It is a blue collar town but the town is just backwards. There isn't any future development/economic growth. That's taken place in Manahawkin. All of the retail is in Manahawkin.

Once you get off Rt. 72 and head down Rt. 9 south - just look around. Old rotting houses/buildings from the 1900s just decaying. Former restaurants that have shut down and former Wawas that were converted into some knockoff. Aside from that, west of Rt. 9 is just the Pinelands - it's really depressing.

On top of that - there isn't any white collar jobs down there. No offense to anyone living there but the people there are definitely a different breed. It's a slower way of life down there - driving super-sized trucks, having a lot of tattoos, wearing boots and dressed in dirty carhartt gear.
Partially saw that too but seems like was lot of newest houses/townhouses and area wasnt as i was expecting dead.i found galloway area more depressing .

Old 03-29-2018, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boney89 View Post
Partially saw that too but seems like was lot of newest houses/townhouses and area wasnt as i was expecting dead.i found galloway area more depressing .
Gallaway is Stockton University and Smithville. There's nothing there of interest to most people.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsJim89 View Post

Did you see the chair house?

Old 04-11-2018, 06:27 PM

5,402 posts, read 5,222,010 times
Boney89 Take a weekend and come down again and look around at the different sub-divisions here. There are a lot of different types of homes in price ranges that fit most people.

DevilsJim89 I respect your opinion. That being said, the blue collar workers, Plumbers, Electricians, etc. in our area are always in demand & make 6 figures. The guy with the tats & beard & riding his Harley with his friends to do the toy run for "Toys for Tots", has the $450,000 home with the regulation in ground pool & hot tub. His vacations with his wife and kids are all paid for in cash & they go away a few times a year. I told my daughter when she started to drive if she ever broke down on the side of the road, chances are the Construction worker would stop to help before the Banker. Well, that is exactly what happened! You are correct in saying there aren't many White collar jobs in our town, but people travel to their employment if that is what they want.

We have a deep sense of Community spirit. The young teenager that plays a regular on the Netflex Series, Stranger Things goes to school here & is in shows with one of our kids. He is one of the nicest young teens we have ever met.

Easter Sunday, a teenage girl was crossing Rt. 9 & Great Bay Blvd. on her bike. She had the right away. A driver, making a right hand turn on red hit her, got out of his car & took her bike from under the wheel of his car & drove off. It took 1 day to find him after the incident was put on the local forum. The people band together in our town for one another.

LEH & Tuckerton isn't for everyone, but most people here work to live as opposed to living to work. But most of all we have a lot of fun & enjoy living in a town that isn't try to compete with other towns.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:36 PM

I don't respect his opinion. A different breed? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piney_...rrens_resident)

Tattoos? You never see those anywhere else.

Just The Pine Barrens? Jesus, Mary and Joseph on a bicycle. His ignorance is mind numbing.

Typical Piney Saturday Evening:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s88r_q7oufE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey