Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2008, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,465 times

Advertisements

My husband is taking a job in Fort Lee. We are looking for a nice place to relocate to from PA. We have no knowledge of NJ.
Can you recommend a city/town where the commute would be 30 min or less by car? Or is there a train route into Fort Lee that would speed up the commute?
We would like to find a house/townhome (rather than a condo), as we have a 14-month old son, and a spunky yellow lab.
Thank you for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 11:42 PM

73 posts, read 298,563 times
Don't think there are trains that stop there - bus may be an option but most people who work in that area prob just drive. Problem is that you're competing with GW Bridge traffic. The town of Edgewater is just below Ft. Lee. I would suggest you just take time and drive around. There are lots of nice towns in Bergen County but you should know that property taxes are very high in Bergen. Of course they are high all throughout NJ.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:47 AM

26 posts, read 155,679 times
30 minutes to Fort Lee gives you a lot of options.FYI, towns nearby Fort Lee are Edgewater, Cliffside Park, Leonia, Palisades Park, Ridgefield, Englewood and Englewood Cliffs. Start with those areas and expand out~~

Old 10-12-2008, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,648 times
How much are you looking to spend on rent?

Old 10-12-2008, 05:33 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,276,887 times
Fort Lee is a great town. However, you have a potential problem here. As you head "out" of Fort Lee to live, you will be heading "into" Ft. Lee for your commute -- and that can be a nightmare. You will be heading right into the eye of the storm -- NYC rush hour traffic (via the GW Bridge).

There are townhouse complexes in Fort Lee -- several of them. In addition to Fort Lee, there are several in Englewood, Englewood Cliffs, and nearby areas. Palisades Park might have a nice one, Leonia possibly, and you might want to check out Glenpointe in Teaneck (although I have no idea as to your price point or rent/buy). Cross Creek is another, and so is Oak Trail (high-end).

In addition, many of the condo's/high-rises are family/child friendly and appeal to families. There has been a trend in people looking to raise families in a high-rise as they don't feel they give up as much as they might have in the past. Many of the buildings have indoor/outdoor playgrounds, playrooms, park-like grounds, mini-marts in the building, dry cleaner/valet service, gym/health club/spa, etc. The schools, buses, camps, etc. cater to the buildings as well. Most of the townhouse complexes don't have the ammenities that a condo/high-rise has.

I lived in a high-rise and there were many more families with young children when I moved out than when I moved in. Although, some of my friends/neighbors moved out when they had two children, more often three.

Good luck!!!

Old 10-12-2008, 05:42 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,926,782 times
Excellent advise EANJ - I was going to say - I used to work for Kwasha-Lipton in Ft. Lee years ago and the commute in (from Nutley at the time) was brutal. Without traffic, it was nothing, with it was anightmare and most days were with. You will be dealing with GWB traffic daily - like it or not. If you really want 30 min or less, you will have to stay very close to Ft Lee. Towns mentioned above would fit the bill.

Unless given the option of staggered work hours (and I mean VERY off like starting at 6 AM or 11 AM...) you will hit A LOT of traffic.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:11 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,276,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Excellent advise EANJ - I was going to say - I used to work for Kwasha-Lipton in Ft. Lee years ago and the commute in (from Nutley at the time) was brutal. Without traffic, it was nothing, with it was anightmare and most days were with. You will be dealing with GWB traffic daily - like it or not. If you really want 30 min or less, you will have to stay very close to Ft Lee. Towns mentioned above would fit the bill.

Unless given the option of staggered work hours (and I mean VERY off like starting at 6 AM or 11 AM...) you will hit A LOT of traffic.
K-L was right AT the bridge so getting into Fort Lee must have been brutal. I was just up there the other day. The # of cars has increased, and now the local roads are shut down (so you can't get off any of the highways and meander through town and the local roads). Coming from further out, like Nutley, sure, absolutely brutal. Better than going into NY though, LOL.

However, if you are closer, one of the neighboring towns, close proximity, etc. -- the commute can be excellent. If I had my choice -- had to work in Fort Lee, but not live there, townhouse or townhouse type complex; one thing I would look for is ammenities.

That aside, I would lfirst look to The Townhomes at Glenpointe (Teaneck) and Oak Trail (Englewood). Like I said, Cross Creek (Englewood) is possible. There is a great (gaited) small townhouse building on Kensington (I think it's Kensington). That's probably Englewood, although it's very close to the Fort Lee border on that side of Rt. 4. I never really liked the townhouse complex in Pal Pk., but several people say it's nice. It was "OK" to me. There's a few new complexes that have gone up as well.

Getting into Fort Lee from neighboring areas can be much, much easier. Local roads, various ways that don't lead right to the GW Bridge, etc. You can leave Teaneck late and make it fine. Same with Englewood, Englewood Cliffs, etc. Thanks for the kind words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey