U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 03:13 PM

177 posts, read 624,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpat55 View Post
About the NJT on the Blvd East buses 128/165/6 These buses run on the half hour all night between 1:30- 5:30am and more feq service after that time on weekdays and 6:30 am weekends
and on the 159 there is buses at 1:40 2:50 and 3:30 am and then 5AM Weekdays 6:30 am on Sat and 7:05am on Sunday
and on the 156 There is one bus at 2:10 am

And the buses board on the lower level

Which gate do those buses leave from? From what I've seen before is that Port Authority is locked up until 5:30am...that is, they don't let you in without a ticket until that time...but I tried finding bus schedules at that time and was unsuccessful. I'd like to go to the gate to see the schedules sometime.

*EDIT* I looked at the 128 and it looks like it runs every hour starting at 2:30am...better than nothing, but you are screwed if you just miss the bus (another 1 hour wait).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 11:51 AM

72 posts, read 356,343 times
The best way to get back to Weehawken is to take the shuttle buses in front of Port Authority (they run all night practically all night) and get off somewhere on blvd east ( I usually pick a st before I leave NJ)

Call a cab (I used to keep 2-3 cab numbers on my cell) as soon as you get on the shuttle and tell them to pick you up in 10 mins (or however long it will take you to get to your previously selected street). Once you get off the shuttle, the cab is either getting there or will be there shortly after (just make sure that if you are running later than specified time, you call them and tell them so you won't be waiting in the dark by yourself while you wait for another one to be dispatched)

This always works for me and its pretty cheap ($2 for the shuttle & whatever the amt is for your cab). HTH

Old 07-07-2008, 03:26 PM

1,977 posts, read 6,640,888 times
The only time ive ever taken a car from NYC back to NJ was through a car service. With tolls it was usually $100-$115 depending on where I was going. I never took a cab.

Now I just take the train to the closest station and a cab from there.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:37 PM

36 posts, read 126,727 times
When working at a variety of 'venues' we used to put many of our NJ patrons in Car Services between the hours of 3 and 6 AM. To WeeH it was between 50 and 60 dollars depending on the service.

Hope that helps... but the bus would def be much more economical.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,046 times
Default Need Help?! NYC/NJ

Can anyone tell me if visiting from Toronto to NYC- is it better to stay in New Jersey and got ot NYC each day to save hotel fare? Or is it just worth it to stay in NYC/Manhattan? If so,does anyone know of a hotel that has ANY parking at the hotel in New York city /area??
We will be spending majority of the time in NYC but would like to go over to NEW JERSEY to see Carlo's bakery!! ( how would I even get over there if I cant cab it?? )

Old 08-23-2013, 10:37 AM

5,327 posts, read 12,362,889 times
That bakery is quite close to the Hoboken train and PATH station. The PATH system runs 24 hours to/from NYC and NJ.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:18 AM

819 posts, read 2,730,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rellis21 View Post
Can anyone tell me if visiting from Toronto to NYC- is it better to stay in New Jersey and got ot NYC each day to save hotel fare? Or is it just worth it to stay in NYC/Manhattan? If so,does anyone know of a hotel that has ANY parking at the hotel in New York city /area??
We will be spending majority of the time in NYC but would like to go over to NEW JERSEY to see Carlo's bakery!! ( how would I even get over there if I cant cab it?? )
You want a hotel with parking, then you are asking about how to get somewhere by cab? I'm confused.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:02 PM

236 posts, read 255,672 times
Quote:
Look into the hotels around the Exchange Place and Newport PATH stations in Jersey City. There are several options and the PATH runs 24 hours. Dollar-for-dollar, you'll get a nicer and larger room than you would in NYC and the parking will be cheaper. Whether that's worth it is matter of personal preference.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:21 PM

1,894 posts, read 3,711,312 times
Quote:
Carlo's Bakery is a short walk from the Hoboken PATH station. The most efficient way (both time & cost wise) to get there from Manhattan would be to take a PATH train (not a cab). The PATH train is like the NYC subway, only it goes from points in Manhattan to NJ.

Maps - PATH - The Port Authority of NY & NJ

PATH station locations in Manhattan:

Sixth Avenue & 33rd Street
Sixth Avenue & 23rd Street
Sixth Avenue & 14th Street
Sixth Avenue & 9th Street
Christopher Street (between Greenwich Street and Hudson Street)
Near the World Trade Center (by Vesey Street and Church Street)

You can take a PATH train from any of these stations to the Hoboken PATH station (just make sure the train says 'Hoboken' and not 'Journal Square' or 'Newark').

As for where you should stay, I personally think you should stay in NYC. If you're on vacation and want the whole NYC experience, staying in NJ (and commuting back & forth everyday) won't be the same. I also don't think you'll be saving all that much money with hotels in NJ (and especially not with hotels in the metro areas by the PATH stations).

As for hotels with parking in Manhattan, yes, you can find these. Just do a Google search and browse all the listing on all the various trip planning and travel sites. Not sure what your budget or requirements are, so it's hard to recommend one. Some hotels include parking in their nightly rental fee. Others charge extra (e.g. $35).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or