U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 10:00 PM

2 posts, read 5,214 times

Advertisements

Have children who will be entering HS next year and Im trying to reseach where in Monmouth County the good public schools are? From Staten Island and would like to stay as north as possible to the Outerbridge so I could visit family if needed. Would love to be by the Ocean but schools in Long Branch arent getting great feedback. Anyone know about a nice family neighborhood that is safe and has good schools. I was looking from Atlantic Highlands down to Neptune and inland but can't seem to find a town that has it all. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 10:35 PM

2,866 posts, read 8,285,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMOM View Post
Have children who will be entering HS next year and Im trying to reseach where in Monmouth County the good public schools are? From Staten Island and would like to stay as north as possible to the Outerbridge so I could visit family if needed. Would love to be by the Ocean but schools in Long Branch arent getting great feedback. Anyone know about a nice family neighborhood that is safe and has good schools. I was looking from Atlantic Highlands down to Neptune and inland but can't seem to find a town that has it all. Thanks
You might as well go to Manalapan, great schools and half of Staten Island has moved there. You would fit in perfectly.

Diane G

Old 07-04-2008, 03:10 AM

128 posts, read 166,556 times
Default Try Atlantic Highlands

I heard from someone who lives in Atlantic Highlands that their children liked the high school.......not as pressured as some of the other towns. I also heard to stay away from Middletown.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:18 AM

2 posts, read 5,214 times
Default looking for small town,USA

To add to my previous post, I am really looking for that small town feel. Thanks for your info so far. I was watching the news last night and they were having a 4th of July celebration in Red Bank that looked like it was that old fashion type of celebration. I'm looking for a town with some history etc... Old homes that have, of couse been updated but still have the old world charm.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:36 PM

9,124 posts, read 32,116,454 times
And what sort of price range are you looking in? That will have a huge impact on which towns you should be looking in.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:55 PM

3 posts, read 15,736 times
I heard Manalapan is good. I am a former Staten Islander that moved to NJ 5 years ago. I moved to Flemington. My Husband still commutes into the city. Flemington has one of the best High Schools in NJ. Great family oriented place to live. My Parents still live on STaten Island and the ride from Flemington to Staten Island is about an hour. Houses here can be a bit pricey. We purchased a townhouse.

Good luck!

Old 09-10-2008, 04:44 AM

5,079 posts, read 7,251,101 times
Once again, I would suggest you try Somerset County. You can be in Staten Island in about 40-45 minutes. There has been a huge influx of Staten Islanders in Somerset County in the past year.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:57 AM

142 posts, read 505,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMOM View Post
To add to my previous post, I am really looking for that small town feel. Thanks for your info so far. I was watching the news last night and they were having a 4th of July celebration in Red Bank that looked like it was that old fashion type of celebration. I'm looking for a town with some history etc... Old homes that have, of couse been updated but still have the old world charm.
What you are describing, sounds exactly like the town of Matawan! I grew up there and we moved when I was like 21 yrs. old. It's an older town, has alot of history and older updated homes......check it out! The school systems were real good too!

Alot of people from S.I. have moved to Manalapan, as that other poster is correct. Not sure what price range you are looking for though. I live in Old Bridge which is close to Matawan. But I say check out Matawan, cuz of it's older charm.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:15 AM

93 posts, read 262,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzytish View Post
I heard from someone who lives in Atlantic Highlands that their children liked the high school.......not as pressured as some of the other towns. I also heard to stay away from Middletown.
Just curious about why you say to stay away from Middletown. There are tons of people from SI in Middletown.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:08 PM

16 posts, read 51,200 times
I am originally from Staten Island and now live in Nazareth, PA. It's very nice here and my neighbors are from S.I. too. My family is still there and I miss them... I was thinking about moving closer and going to NJ. My husband commutes. He is a bus driver in Manhattan....
Sorry - getting off the topic of your question. I was looking in south jersey.... I keep hearing the schools in Point Pleasant/Point Pleasant Beach are good and there is that small community with a cute town. I'm not 100% sure about the schools but that might work for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey